Accessory plug on 1150 Rockstar

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Wildy
Basic User

Accessory plug on 1150 Rockstar

Post by Wildy »

I recently purchased an 1150 Rockster which has an accessory plug just above the left footpeg. The plug is not connected at the moment, however there is a brown and blue wire attached to a black plastic plug, which have round connectors, not the spade connectors as on the back of the accessory plug, I have checked and the wires are hot with the bike switched off. I am assuming these are the wires that should be connected to the accessory plug. Anybody know if that is the case and what that connector would have been used for, tucked behind the cover.
I guess the answer will be to cut off the black connector and attach spade connectors to the accessory plug; anybody know which wire connects to left or right connectors at the back of the accessory plug.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Accessory plug on 1150 Rockstar

Post by riceburner »

IIRC the accessory plug should 'not' be live with the bike 'off'. (I could be wrong).

I can't remember exactly how the accessory plug is wired, but I think there should be a 2-wire black plastic connector wired into the loom that comes down to the starter motor that plugs into the back of the accessory plug. Or something like that anyway.

It sounds like you have a bike that was messed about with slightly by (one of) the previous owner(s).

Any chance of photos of what you've got?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Accessory socket and clock, Fuse 7 always hot.

OE version of panel-mount socket has round connector bodies, oval face, locking connector.

Spade terminals might indicate Powerlet version of similar socket.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Wildy
Basic User

Post by Wildy »

I have wired it up awaiting delivery of a plug to test it no thanks for info guys the wrest tested went to fuse 7 clock etc so should be the correct wires.
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

The OEM Aux Power Socket should already be on the Starter Motor Plastic Cover with its own little spring-loaded flat to keep out the weather- viz:-

...and there should also be a two-pole socket wired into the starter motor cabling to fit onto this plug at the back of said Cover - viz :-

Note - when messing with that cover and ferkling your fingers behind to connect up the plug to the socket, before you re-attach the cover, beware of the little rubber grommet that the locating peg for the cover goes into, set into a hole in the crankcase. It has a habit of trying to make a dash for freedom, bouncing into the darkest corner of your garage. A replacement grommet is unobtainable except from the Greedy Berlin Pig.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sykospain wrote:The OEM Aux Power Socket should already be on the Starter Motor Plastic Cover with its own little spring-loaded flat to keep out the weather- viz:-

...and there should also be a two-pole socket wired into the starter motor cabling to fit onto this plug at the back of said Cover - viz :-

Note - when messing with that cover and ferkling your fingers behind to connect up the plug to the socket, before you re-attach the cover, beware of the little rubber grommet that the locating peg for the cover goes into, set into a hole in the crankcase. It has a habit of trying to make a dash for freedom, bouncing into the darkest corner of your garage. A replacement grommet is unobtainable except from the Greedy Berlin Pig.

Worth noting that not all bikes came with the power-socket. When I bought my 2nd bike (iirc) new, I wanted to make sure that it got the socket so specifically added it to the order. The dealer-ship knowledge was that otherwise it was almost random which bike came with the socket or not.

Oh - good idea to grease those little rubber grommet fittings. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Ditto.
Heated grips, center stand, and accessory socket were Rockster factory options. Edition 80 version lacked only the center stand.

My 2nd Rockster is socket-less, but eBay provided cheap suitable used OE part to be installed tomorrow. It's winter riding season and time for heated gear under Gore-Tex.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Ditto.
Heated grips, center stand, and accessory socket were Rockster factory options. Edition 80 version lacked only the center stand.

My 2nd Rockster is socket-less, but eBay provided cheap suitable used OE part to be installed tomorrow. It's winter riding season and time for heated gear under Gore-Tex.

funnily enough, although all 3 of my bikes had sockets, I don't think I ever actually used them.

I always wired my heated jacket via a flying lead which poked out between the seat and the tank, and powered my phone (for navigation) via a Brodit mount which plugged into a 2nd socket I wired in for the purpose, tucked up under the tank.

The location of the socket is crap - it always seemed to me that anything plugged in there was going to get kicked out.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Wildy
Basic User

Post by Wildy »

Well the cable had a the correct fixing for the socket in your picture but the back of my bike had spade connectors so I snipped of old and it all works, charges the battery on it, I agree it would easily be kicked out if using it for heated gear the angled hella plug looks an okay option for that one. Although I will probably get a lead direct from battery fitted for my heated gear as I have fitted on my other bike.
long way from home
Basic User

Post by long way from home »

My 80 edition (japanese spec) has a centre stand...
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

long way from home wrote:
Heated grips, center stand, and accessory socket were Rockster factory options. Edition 80 version lacked only the center stand...
Interesting. North American version Edition 80s didn't have a center stand, but were otherwise fully equipped. I installed a "pre-owned" center stand after getting the Edn 80.

Did Japanese version have anything else unique? You got the 80th Anniversary CD and certificate?
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:
long way from home wrote:
Heated grips, center stand, and accessory socket were Rockster factory options. Edition 80 version lacked only the center stand...
Interesting. North American version Edition 80s didn't have a center stand, but were otherwise fully equipped. I installed a "pre-owned" center stand after getting the Edn 80.

Did Japanese version have anything else unique? You got the 80th Anniversary CD and certificate?
Depends on whether or not the original owner asked for it, and whether or not the original sales-guy mentioned the extras available - not all of them do.

Each of the 'new' Rocksters I bought I specified quite a lot of extra stuff that wasn't standard (heated grips/centre-stand/accessory socket/etc).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life