2004 noise from front of engine. overrun pulley?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

lpnb12

Re: 2004 noise from front of engine. overrun pulley?

Post by lpnb12 »

no, about -1mm!!!

however nothing a bit of heat wasn't able to sort out...also its at the top so there is little movement relative to the cover.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

lpnb12 wrote:no, about -1mm!!!
Precision German engineering.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

however nothing a bit of heat wasn't able to sort out...also its at the top so there is little movement relative to the cover.

oof!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

riceburner wrote:

oof!
Not actually touching now.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Regarding the Telelever - perhaps we should start a new topic - OP can decide since he's now our alternator repair AND Telelever A-arm modification subject matter expert.

Telelever: I remember looking at the first 1990's info about BMW's then-new oilhead, and thinking that the front suspension geometry had lots of potential for tuning, much like sportscar systems, both Macpherson strut + lower A-arm (BMW E30 &E36) and double A-arm (race applications). The early R1100 series info included this photo:

https://images.app.goo.gl/6CrT3RKVGHuBZCqGA

... which begs the question, what happens if these linkage lengths are changed?

I've downloaded that image more times than I can remember!

Makes me want to try an adjustable Telever A-arm, along with adjustable Paralever strut and shocks. There's gotta be some R&D info from the old Boxer Cup days.

Went for a ride yesterday and thrashed the Rockster on local twisty roads, all the while contemplating bike handling and geometry tuning. It's a new thing.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
lpnb12

Post by lpnb12 »

that would be cool. happy if you want to start the thread since you're the old hand here.

I'm just a drip under pressure ! .....with a welder.

so many options with this style of front end geom. I have been pondering front suspension geometry for 20 years and was once a member of the MC-Chassis-design forum, Wondering about and musing over designs by Foale/Parker/Hossack and being in absolute awe of bikes like the Britten, which even compared to modern bikes right now has some impressive stats. If I could ride one bike in the world before I die, that would be it.

I am surprised this is the first BMW I have owned! I am still trying to figure out exactly why the front end feels slightly less feedbacky...prob due to more of the vibrations and road textures being transferred directly in to the large mass that is the engine instead of up the bars...I guess its a trade-off. I definitely like the way if feels especially now after the mods. I amd aware of less feedback but it is very stable and confidence inspiring at the same time...would love to hear from experienced racers about feel and how they adapt.