How was your day?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kirby
Donating Member #: 3

How was your day?

Post by kirby »

Well just finished a complete maintence check on the Rock and new Shinkos.

All is well and I'm ready for the riding season to start. TX hill country, North Georgia beemer rally, Black hills, and a couple more I'm sure..probably around 20 K this year.
Got rid (donate) of some old riding gear and have purchased some new stuff. (I have too much stuff, many years worth).

Add that to the 280 on the clock.

Hope Phil (ground hog fame) was right.

If you see me on the road.... there WILL be a wave!

K
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: How was your day?

Post by riceburner »

Good stuff!

I need to replace the rear shock on Rock4, and charge the battery on the K12R, then we'll see what will happen once the weather improves.

I don't have a fully-reliable set of winter gear at the moment (and I seem to have put on an inch or two to my waistline which isn't going to help getting into my slightly on the tight side anyway, BMW StreetGuard jacket!), so hoping for some dry days in March to get out on two wheels.

My new(ish) girlfriend hasn't tried the pillion on the K12R yet, so I need to get it out and she needs to see if she likes it or not before we start doing any serious mileage (which we are planning on).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Re: Replacing rear shock. I have 28k on the original suspension and have considered investing in a replacement. I have not been able to find Ohlins for the Rockster (BM 349) as they are discontinued and noticed there are a number of Ohlins for the R1150GS (BM 940) available on ebay. Would the extra 11mm length (383 vs 372) and extra 13mm of Stroke (63mm vs 50mm) cause significant problems on the Rockster? I think I know the answer, but given the availability (and price), I wanted to get an opinion. Please feel free to shoot this idea down if it's deserved.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Gavin wrote:Re: Replacing rear shock. I have 28k on the original suspension and have considered investing in a replacement. I have not been able to find Ohlins for the Rockster (BM 349) as they are discontinued and noticed there are a number of Ohlins for the R1150GS (BM 940) available on ebay. Would the extra 11mm length (383 vs 372) and extra 13mm of Stroke (63mm vs 50mm) cause significant problems on the Rockster? I think I know the answer, but given the availability (and price), I wanted to get an opinion. Please feel free to shoot this idea down if it's deserved.
28K?? It's barely run in!

If you used the OE Paralever arm (385mm), then, with a longer shock you might end up with a very angled final-drive UJ*, so it would probably be worth finding a GS Paralever arm (365mm). Obviously this will push the rear wheel down further and increase your ground clearance, also, obviously, increasing your ride height, so the centre-stand may not reach the ground very well** and the bike seat will be higher.

* I haven't got a diagram to hand, but IIRC, the longer shock will push the swingarm down further, but the Paralever arm will push against the final drive box and force it to rotate more around the swing-arm->final-drive pivot.

** I run my bike with the Rockster shock and a GS Paralever arm (365mm). It WILL sit on the centre-stand, but both tyres will be 'just' touching on a flat surface. With the OE Paralever arm, the bike will stand with both tyres a good 2-3mm (maybe a bit more) off the floor. (If I don't have the top-bopx on, the bike will balance on the centre-stand!). Obviously the bike also leans a bit further on the side stand, but I don't have any issues.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Indeed it is...I purchased it last spring and put 3500 on it and plan to at least double that this coming season.

Thank you for that additional information regarding the Paralever Arm length difference, which I had not considered.
I think I need to draw out the triangulation of the rear suspension to get a better visual understanding of any changes to suspension length.
My first 'upgrade' was replacing the stock (high) rockster seat with the stock (low) Roadster seat for my 30" inseam. The difference is about 1-3/4" and allowed me to stand flat footed at full extension (stop light).
If a taller suspension raises the seat up a bit, I am fine with that, but I do get your point about the shorter paralever arm being necessary to compensate for the Swing Arm>Final Drive UJ angle. On the center stand, I have about 10mm of clearance for both tires at the same time, but the tires themselves are a factor in this clearance. I think that gives me enough room to compensate for a lowered rear wheel regarding center stand/side stand clearances with a taller shock.
Maybe too far down the rabbit hole of adjustments unless I get a really good deal on one to make it worth my while.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Don't know how many of you folks follow moto racing but this year at Laguna Seca Motoamerica superbike race its rumored that there will be a "Bagger" exhibition race during the event.(Sponsored by Drag Specialties).

They are trying to work out the rules as to what modifications can be made to the stock machines. So far (I'm told), 15 machines have signed up.

This should be a real spectator event as have raced (club) at Laguna Seca before, and the track will be a real challenge for the Baggers especially the "cork screw".
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

kirby wrote:Don't know how many of you folks follow moto racing but this year at Laguna Seca Motoamerica superbike race its rumored that there will be a "Bagger" exhibition race during the event.(Sponsored by Drag Specialties).

They are trying to work out the rules as to what modifications can be made to the stock machines. So far (I'm told), 15 machines have signed up.

This should be a real spectator event as have raced (club) at Laguna Seca before, and the track will be a real challenge for the Baggers especially the "cork screw".
Can you say "dragging hard parts"?

Also read that MotoGP is moving to NBC. Good news, since beIN Sports was an extra $300/year I've been unwilling to pay, on top of too-expensive digital. But I've cut the cable and now only stream. Bought NBCSN Gold package for Premiere League and might do similar for their motor sports programming.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby

Post by kirby »

I talked to the Feuiling guys today and many are wanting to put rear sets on and 17" tires (as in sticky) and beveling the bags for more clearance!

I think it will be good to get the HD guys interested in racing like this but if they let them mod the bikes more than just taping up the lights and putting safety wire on the plugs w/a oil catch pan its going to ruin the whole thing.

The cork screw should be a real hoot as the entry is blind and very steep on the back side.

I have BEIN sports but it will be good for the sport to have a network (major) on board.

July 10-12..
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote:Don't know how many of you folks follow moto racing but this year at Laguna Seca Motoamerica superbike race its rumored that there will be a "Bagger" exhibition race during the event.(Sponsored by Drag Specialties).

That should be fun! Is the K1600 bagger eligible?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

That would be good!
The Fueling 150 ci 3 cylinder W3 is going to be the highlight but they have a cubic inch limit of 131" (2174 cc) and the W3 is too big.
I saw the rules and they have other restrictions and right now they are trying to keep it as stock as possible, but racers are racers!

There is a phenomenon here in the states,(called Baggers), of the big inch HD machines with low slung saddles cases and floorboards that is beyond crazy to we that ride more sporting machines.
The event is sponsored by a parts (mostly HD and Indian) business "Drag specialties" that is pretty big as they have a catalog that is about 5" thick.

Don't know if the BMW GT 1600 would be allowed in this bunch but if it was it could clean house as it CAN corner and is stupid fast(have been out on one!)

These big American baggers are quick in a straight line but..

The W3 can, (done on a dyno), go from 40 mph (65 Ks) to 100 mph(160 Ks) in top gear in 4 seconds,so might be a match for the GT 1600 in a straight but would be toast in a corner. (not to mention the brakes on the beemer).

If they keep the baggers stock (somewhat within reason) should be a good spectacle for sure!
Last edited by kirby on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Does chrome make sparks like titanium?
kirby

Post by kirby »

My bet is we're going to find out.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I'm now wondering how I'm going to be able to watch this from the UK....
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

First round of the motoGP in Qatar is CNX (but I think the 2 and 3 will still run. The second WSBK is toast also (strong rumor.)
NBC sports has taken over broadcast of the WSBK and motoGP in the states(won't be live..ugh!!) and I'm not sure about moto America superbike. (Used to be BiEN sports and that will be the event for the baggers).

Don't think there are many race fans here on this board.

Since its only 350 miles from where I will be in July, guess I'll ride up
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote: Don't think there are many race fans here on this board.
I'll drop everything and watch racing if I happen to catch it (F1 too), but as I don't have a 'live-tv' system*, that's a rare occurence.

* IE: I don't have an antenna for public braodcasts, I don't have cable, I don't have a satellite dish. I just use internet streaming services these days, and listen to the radio for news. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Was just looking for MotoGP info on NBC Sports... nothing yet for Gold package subscription.

They have quite a number of specialty sports and race series, and I'm expecting they will add MotoGP in similar fashion.

Only problem: while NBC advertises these subscriptions as "Watch Anywhere", what they mean in watch anywhere within USA. Outside the states there's no coverage.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:Was just looking for MotoGP info on NBC Sports... nothing yet for Gold package subscription.

They have quite a number of specialty sports and race series, and I'm expecting they will add MotoGP in similar fashion.

Only problem: while NBC advertises these subscriptions as "Watch Anywhere", what they mean in watch anywhere within USA. Outside the states there's no coverage.
You can get around that with a VPN. (Which is exactly what I used occasionally to watch BBC iPlayer whilst sojourning in France last year).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote: You can get around that with a VPN. (Which is exactly what I used occasionally to watch BBC iPlayer whilst sojourning in France last year).
James you're a genius.
Recently subscribed to VPN since I connect to public WiFi while traveling. But I did not consider the location-based power. Just confirmed the workaround you suggest.
Owe you a beer.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:
riceburner wrote: You can get around that with a VPN. (Which is exactly what I used occasionally to watch BBC iPlayer whilst sojourning in France last year).
James you're a genius.
Recently subscribed to VPN since I connect to public WiFi while traveling. But I did not consider the location-based power. Just confirmed the workaround you suggest.
Owe you a beer.
:D hope it works out ok!

If you start getting blocked, try to change the server that the VPN service is using.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

A 4th finish and top 3 for most of the race for Joe Roberts, a California boy..bravo. (Moto 2 @ Qutar.) Japanese rider wins.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER