Got Mine

Forum dedicated to the amazing s1000r. No ads, US based!

Moderator: Moderators

danstl
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Got Mine

Post by danstl »

A red 2014 about three weeks ago. Due to weather, have only been able to put about 450 miles on it so far.

Love the bike. It is not IMHO a multi-day sport tourer - at least not when you are shortly going to be 70 years old - but it is good for 200+ miles here in the mountains. That's about all I do now anyhow, but have kept my R1200R in case we want to go on multi-day trips. My wife rides an F800GT, and we normally do several of those sort of trips in the summer here in the Carolina's, Tennessee, etc. Starting to lose its allure though, so the day trips are fine.

The bike is crazy fast, much quicker through the curves than the R12R and loads of fun. They put the plug in at the 600 mile service to give you two additional riding modes that I doubt I will ever use at my age. Not into wheelies which you can do in several gears in Dynamic Pro, nor stoppies. Normal riding mode suits me just fine. May use the rain mode if I get caught in the rain - it changes the throttle response, damping, ABS, etc to suit the wet roads. You can get bags for them from a couple of different sources, but I never will. A tail bag for something to clean the bugs off my face shield, a hat for helmet hair and other small stuff. Maybe a tank bag if I can find one that doesn't look goofy on it.

The suspension system is definitely for someone who meets the BMW definition of a "normal" rider. I do, so not a problem, but if you are much over/under their "normal" you will have to wait for some aftermarket springs, etc. Mine came with a package that included all the technology (dynamic damping, ESA, cruise control, etc. All of those will complicate after market suspension changes later, but since they think I'm "normal" I am okay so far!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Got Mine

Post by towerworker »

Very, very cool! Good for you!

I'll be 60 in a handful of months, I'd like to think I could handle one of those but probably not. My '04 R1150 will be in the driveway for many more years I hope.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

nearing 70 years of age, and in good enough shape to want to purchase a 1000r?!

=D>

youve won at life. I hope to achieve this same level of happiness. :mrgreen: I have 32 yrs before this, however. :lol:

cheers! and congrats, whatta bike! Ive been drooling over them for awhile. ESPECIALLY since watching them mop up the Isle Of Man TT this year....!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
danstl
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by danstl »

I was diagnosed with cancer on my first day of retirement......15 years ago. Has been in and out of remission ever since, so it gives you a different perspective. I bought a new bike the day after the diagnosis as sort of a middle finger to the disease.

I work hard to stay in shape. Here in the mountains, I spend at least three days a week in the fitness center, and on off days work out at home and use an orbital machine. When we are in FL for the winters, I ride a bike 50-70 miles three days a week. It both places, I play golf at least three days a week as well. I also eat very healthy foods. Have been a vegetarian all my life, so that helps.

In any event, if you work at it, you will be able to do whatever you want for as long as you want to do it.

This will probably be my last "sport" bike. It will stay with me as long as I think my reflexes still hold up. If I think it is becoming a bit edgy....hopefully several years from now....it will go.

For the time being, I live life for today and try to enjoy each and every one of them!