Riding 2 up on new LC

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

RedRyder
Donating Member #: 1065

Riding 2 up on new LC

Post by RedRyder »

First I want to state that I like R1150R's a whole bunch. I put 80K on an '02, sold it and bought a twin spark '05 to see what improvements were made. So this is not about old vs. new. I hate that.

The wife and I put about 150 miles in on Sunday. It was our first ride together on the new LC. Thought those who are looking at a new R might be interested in some "two-up" observations.

1. The wet clutch is amazingly smooth. My wife is an experienced rider so she know how to relax, shift weight, blah, blah, all that stuff. On my old R's I had to be conscious of shifting points because the dry clutch, suspension and shaft contributed to a slight abruptness which sometimes caused her to a small degree to be forced forward to where out helmets would touch. Not all the time, but it did happen. I always want her to be comfortable and feel safe. Anyway... the new LC's clutch is like butter and there is no abruptness. It works even better if you use the pro shift mode. Combined with improved shaft and the ESA system, you have a pretty impressive sport tourer with passenger.
2. Purchase the passenger comfort seat. It is only $50 more and adds that little extra for a more pleasant ride.
3. If you carry a passenger often or long distances, save $ for the topcase with pad. $250 for the case, $25 or so for the lock and $60 for the back pad. I plan on getting one before we go on our summer trips. That back support and pad really adds a lot towards comfort.
4. I wish that Pirates Lair made a stealth backrest for the R1200R LC. I owned one of the first he ever made for the '02 R1150R. I would buy that over the top case. He makes one for the water-cooled GS. Maybe there is one coming?

ride safe!
What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny (Brando): Whaddya got?

2015 R1200R LC
peels
Basic User

Re: Riding 2 up on new LC

Post by peels »

YES! weve experienced the clanking helmets a few times. :lol:

great review.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Paul-from-VA
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Paul-from-VA »

Pirates Lair is showing a backrest for the R1200RS LC coming in 2016 which I assume will work on the R. I've got a Pirates Lair for an ST1100 that I'm going to try to adapt. My wife has not ridden yet because I don't have a backrest installed.
Paul
RedRyder
Donating Member #: 1065

Post by RedRyder »

got an email from Jerry @ Pirates Lair and he did verify that backrest for RS coming soon. that's great because the rack is the same for both bikes. kinda wished i hadn't sold the one i had for the 1150 and tried to adapt it to the LC. a guy paid me $350 for it so it was easy decision. hope your modification of the backrest for the ST goes smoothly. post up a pic if you get it to work.
What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny (Brando): Whaddya got?

2015 R1200R LC
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Jerry supported the site way back when (maybe 2002?!) with a couple freebies. When you talk to him next, see if he'd be interested in joining a summer raffle! :)

Congrats on the rides guys, and thanks for the review Red.
Member #1
grin factor
Basic User

Post by grin factor »

New member on here & I ride with the mrs on the back, so found this informative.
Cheers.
morgan9283
Basic User

Post by morgan9283 »

Thanks for the feedback. I ride an '03 rockster extensively 2-up and an LC is likely in my future.

-morgan