I miss the old helmet lock from the previous R's

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

RedRyder
Donating Member #: 1065

I miss the old helmet lock from the previous R's

Post by RedRyder »

I miss the easily accessible helmet lock on the new LC. On a recent ride, I had the saddlebags loaded with real important stuff, you know, water, power bars, extra ear plugs, medicine kit, etc. and when stopping for food and/or coffee there was no room for the helmet. In the old days, I simply used my key to open the latch for the helmet D rings ... viola, helmet security. Didn't have to carry it into the cafe or store.

The keyless ride did away with this feature, but i still miss it. Not sure I want to add a new key to my pocket just for a helmet lock. Think the bag/seat key might work on a helmet lock?
What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny (Brando): Whaddya got?

2015 R1200R LC
Paul-from-VA
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: I miss the old helmet lock from the previous R's

Post by Paul-from-VA »

I don't think the key will work, but I could be wrong.
Paul
citrusbbee
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 553

Re: I miss the old helmet lock from the previous R's

Post by citrusbbee »

I ordered one of these from Pirate's Lair for my R1200RS:http://pirateslair.net/HelmetlockS.htm. They indicate that it should work with our foldout keys. They note on the site: "We have learned that our kit does work with the 2015+ R1200RS / R1200R with the fold-out key." It's the middle of winter here right now, but when riding season starts, I'll have my dealer key it to my bike key. I did also have one of these for my K1200S and it worked very well.
Citrusbbee
Member #553
'04 Rockster Ed80 (#967)
'15 R1200RT