Important change to Buy/Sell & Trade forum, please read.....

R1150R/T, R1200R, etc items only please. Items should be at least BMW related and applicable to the bikes that this site covers. Only Donating members may POST ads, but all may browse.

Moderator: Moderators

Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Important change to Buy/Sell & Trade forum, please read.....

Post by Doug »

It has been suggested in the past that perhaps it would be a good idea to make the Buy/Sell & Trade section for member's eyes only, with the ultimate goal being to entice more guests and registered users to become real members (that is, donating members). I toyed with this idea for a while but ultimately decided that the reduction in people's ability to post or view for sale topics would hurt the section's usefulness.

With the lack of steady membership income over the last year (excluding the raffle for a moment which allowed me to upgrade my toolset and backup capabilities), it has become increasingly hard for me to pay for site finances, and I have tried to not only mitigate expenditure by watching bandwidth charges and adjusting as needed, but implemented google ads (which are pretty much useless unless you click on them, which, 'ahem, no one does!:) ). It occurred to me that although minimal, it may make financial sense to open up the posting and reply capability of the for sale section ONLY to donating members. All guests and non members can still view ads, which i feel is a good compromise between leaving it as is and fully locking the section down. Perhaps it may only entice a few people per month to join, but when we are getting only 2-3 members a month renewing or joining, a few is exactly double what we currently see - thats 100% growth! :)

I know there will be temporary complications as a result of this change, such as non donating users that have already placed ads and need to make changes, or if there are ongoing conversations within posts currently going on. I realize there can sometimes been time constraints on these conversations, so I am offering these two options - take your discussion to the personal message format, or if necessary, contact a moderator or myself to make changes to postings (ie "sold" or a "new price"). To be fair, I will allow all ads that are currently posted by non-members to remain.

I apologize for those that have issues as a result of this change, but perhaps this is the nudge you need to take the plunge and join the gang for real. There is detailed member information here: http://www.r1150r.net/contact.html and this link is also readily available via the "Support the site!" link at the top of r1150r.net, should you wish to contribute.

Thanks for everyone's support over the years, and for all of those that graciously decide to join as a result of this plea for funds. The site can not continue without your support and although money has been tight in the past, we've always managed to find a way to break through and grow as a result of the member's generosity.

Cheers everyone,
-Doug
Member #1
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Re: Important change to Buy/Sell & Trade forum, please read.

Post by CycleRob »

Good idea. There should be more desirable privileges for paying members and less conveniences like BBCode, img and url.

How will you prevent non members from sending the seller a PM for info or to purchase the parts? Even if you remove the PM icon, they'll do it on Off Topic or elsewhere.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

I cant. The change is primarily designed to not allow non members to post, but still allow members to have a wide audience to sell their stuff.
Member #1
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

Some forums use a member only area for sales. Can we not do the same?
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

We could do that, but I decided against it. We have maybe only 10% of the viewers here who are members. That means that 90% of the people coming to the site wont see the ads. I think from a sales perspective, its a bad idea. If someone wants to sells something, thats when they need to be a member.
Member #1
OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by OU812 »

Doug wrote:We could do that, but I decided against it. We have maybe only 10% of the viewers here who are members. That means that 90% of the people coming to the site wont see the ads. I think from a sales perspective, its a bad idea. If someone wants to sells something, thats when they need to be a member.
I concur.
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

KLR560.net charges $25.00 to post a bike for sale.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Dan-A wrote:KLR560.net charges $25.00 to post a bike for sale.
Glad i don't go there.. :badgrin:
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

That's why I sold mine on Craig's List.
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net
f4tweet
Lifer

Re: Important change to Buy/Sell & Trade forum, please read.....

Post by f4tweet »

I paid in the blink of an eye. If you ride one of these bikes, $25 is really chump change.
"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem."-Chesty Puller

02 R1150R Black
OU812
Lifer

Re: Important change to Buy/Sell & Trade forum, please read.....

Post by OU812 »

If I had one, maybe.