Finding America - 10 weeks - 14,800 miles

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

mapman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Finding America - 10 weeks - 14,800 miles

Post by mapman »

Hi Folks,

I haven't been on this site for a while... I just can't seen to find the time. I was on a lot in the early days and learned a ton of stuff from guys like Patrick and DJ Downunder. I gotta tell you (and you already know) the R1150R is a perfect bike. I does everything you ask and makes it look good at the same time.

I recently finished up a 10 week - 14,800 mile cross country trip - and the R was flawless (more than I can say for myself). Here's a link to my blog that shows the story: motomaps.wordpress.com http://motomaps.wordpress.com/2007/06/page/2/

Ride Safe,

Keithmotomaps.wordpress.com
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I just finished the entire trip. What a ride! You will need to pay that woodenloon guy something for the running commentary. That was a super addition to your excellent blogs and photos.

I posted several comments myself, but I have one question I am so curious about I can't wait for the response on your blog: How did you blog and post photos while enroute? You mentioned your laptop. Were you able to get wireless connections, etc. at the parks?

I really enjoyed it all.
Thanks
mapman
Basic User

Posting the Blog

Post by mapman »

Hi Boxer,

Thanks for taking the time to read the blog - and thanks for your comments.

Woodenloon is my brother...and riding buddy. We were planning a 2 week "Great Lakes" tour before this opportunity came up for me. It was nice to have him "along". If you want to read some of his stuff, he keeps a blog at: woodenloon.com/tripblog In the Aug, 2006 archives is our trip to the Canadian Maritime last year.

To answer your question: it was very easy to keep up a blog. Basically, my lft side case was my "techno" bag where I kept my laptop, charge cables etc. Wireless internet was usually available in even the smallest motels. However, one of my most enjoyable things to do was to visit the local town library and use their wifi (every library I went to offered free wifi). It was a great way to get connected to the local scene - really makes you feel like a traveller instead of a tourist. In the cities, find a starbuck of similar place to work and take a break. Or... get a broadband card to plug into your computer for more access range (I didnt need/have one)

It's free to set up an account on Wordpress - And since you posted replies, you are probably already setup. In wordpress, go to "my dashboard" and play around. uploading pictures and videos was easy and intuitive. I was new to this before my trip and didn't even understand the concept 3 months ago...

Good luck - and I look forward to reading your blog

Keith
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Thanks Keith...That was brilliant...absolutely brilliant.. =D> ...Fantastic pictures...and great trip report..I loved the little vids at the end.

I hope you keep them coming..btw the silver breakster looks fantastic.. :smt023 ..Shame about the scuffed left valve cover..but that's easy fixed.

Thanks again for posting it for us...Jeeez..I'd love to do a trip like that one day..But I can't see that happening so seeing yours is the next best thing.

DJ
michaelb1
Basic User

Re: Finding America - 10 weeks - 14,800 miles

Post by michaelb1 »

Thanks Kieth! I came across this post and your blog 2 years after you did it.
It's a great read. I am starting my own cross country trip in 2 weeks and I got a ton of great tips from your site. Mine will be at http://www.brandnewinformation.com. My ride is an 07 R1200R.

I'm going from DC to Seattle back to DC, different routes each way.

Great videos and pics. Like I said i got lots of tips. I hadn't planned on doing video but using local libraries for uploading is a great idea. Plus I think my new iPhone will simplify the shooting/editing/uploading workflow as it can post video directly from youtube.

Great post on your gear load out also. I'll probably do the same packing technique on my hard bags with the laptop in one.

Not sure if you still monitor this thread but if you do drop me an email sometime @ [email protected] or look me up online at http://www.michaelbrashier.com

Thanks and great trip!
2007 BMW R 1200 R