Outback Australia... Getting there.

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Arbee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Outback Australia... Getting there.

Post by Arbee »

Outback Australia... Getting there, a few towns along the way.
Last edited by Arbee on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: Outback Australia... Getting there.

Post by MikeCam »

Arbee,

Give us an idea of distances? For instance, you, DJ and Mixr aren't neighbors, are you?
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Arbee
Basic User

Post by Arbee »

MikeCam wrote:Arbee,

Give us an idea of distances? For instance, you, DJ and Mixr aren't neighbors, are you?
I think Mixr lives in Canberra which is about 1000km away, DJ lives in Melbourne and i live in rural
area near Mount Macedon about 55 kms away, i havent met up yet but we should... long overdue

cheers arbee
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I heard that the big reds could really make a mess of riders in the outback. Is it true?
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Yup!

Even quite a small wallaby, if hit by a motorcycle can really spoil your day.

Matter of fact, some of our birds can bring tears to the eye, if you hit them at the wrong time and/or speed.

Emus are _very_ big birds, and not well versed in looking both ways before crossing a road.

Actually, down here in Oz, it's quite funny.... we have an enormous collection of wildlife which can be lethal to humans, but only one of them, the crocodile, actually earns part of its living eating people.

regards,CrazyCam
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Nice pics!

Last time I rode through that country was 1994, on a K1100LT - silly enough to ride Alice Springs - Port Augusta in one day. It wasn't the 1200km in a day that killed me, it was fighting the heavy crosswind from Marla to Woomera - even that great beast was almost blown off the road at times (and was actually blown off the bitumen onto the gravel shoulder a few times).

Also, the need to slow from 200km/h in the then unrestricted Northern Territory to 110km/h fro South Australia was interesting ..

Sometime soon I'm planning to go around again - that's what I got thr R1200R to do, but fro now it's just a week here or there - NT takes at least 4 weeks to really "do" (and I want to go come back via the Kimberly and the Nullabor .. ) Tasmania next year, maybe NT +WA in 2010!

As for creatures, one of the mroe troublesome ones is the wedgetail eagle. Huge (3m wingspan and stand about 1m tall on the ground) - and very slow to lift off roadkill. My ABS got quite a few workouts! They are truly magnificent birds, so (once your heart returns to normal) you don't resent the sudden slow-down.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Great pictures Arbee...Thanks...Maybe this summer we'll catch up for a ride together.

I have our yearly Hotham ride in a few weeks and I hope to post some pics from it.

DJ
takemeaway
Lifer
Donating Member #: 765

Post by takemeaway »

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Gives me tangible things to daydream about now. Would one day love to ride there.