1400 miles and four states on a bike named Chance

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

bruno71
Basic User
Donating Member #: 495

1400 miles and four states on a bike named Chance

Post by bruno71 »

Utah, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana: round trip about 1400 miles

Southern Entrance to Yellowstone National Park

Every time I see the distinctively shaped brown national park signs, I am reminded of a sweltering August afternoon at the beginning of the second grade. The school I attended as a child was built in 1938 and was a two story building made out of dried blood red colored bricks. Like most buildings in those days, it had 14 foot ceilings and windows that must have been eight feet tall and four feet wide. They had huge counter weights built into the seals in order that may be raised and kept open more easily. However, most of the counter weights were broken and with a great deal of struggle, the window could be lifted 10-12”, just enough so an old text book could be propped under it to hold it open.

I did not feed nor molest any animals during this trip!

The floors inside the classrooms were all hardwood, but not polished and varnished but oiled to a dark flat dark brown color. We didn’t have any cooling system, but the entire building was heated by a coal fired boiler that fed cast iron radiators that lined the walls and the hallways. Once fired up, the steam from the boiler would make the radiators hiss steam from their relief valves that filled the air with a distinctive metal-like water vapor. The radiator in my second grade classroom was rainbow colored and appeared to be sweating or melting from all the coloring crayons that we melted against its filigree ribs whenever the teacher was not looking.

Dragon's Mouth:geothermal vent

On this particularly sweltering August day, we were just getting use to the idea of being confined to a single room all day after a long summer of running free, swimming, fishing, wandering across the fields and woods during the day and staying up late in the evening watching fireflies from the porch as they began to light up the fields at dusk---then later sleeping under out single electric fan, the kind with the metal grate that vibrated against the case and had that big electric motor that gave off a faint electrical burning smell after it warmed up.

All from Norris Gyser Basin

The same smell that came from our fan at home also came from the oscillating fan that sat on a four drawer metal filing cabinet next to the teacher’s yellow oak desk. It would crane its head around slowly blowing 70% of the time on the teacher and 20% on the right side of the front two rows and 10% of the time toward the window. On this day, a special projector screen had been brought in to the front of the class and was being raised like a sail on the fishing boats we had seen in Sunday School class … the kind that Jesus stepped out of and walked on the water---one of his many miracles summed up in comic book style pictures and offered to us, a hyper group of poor farm kids, as our very own.

Old Faithful

The vibrating and droning of the electric fan would eventually put us to sleep at night, despite the hot immobile summer air, which had driven us from our beds onto the living room floor with out sheets and pillows. Being the youngest, I would take this opportunity to ask my sisters a million questions … whatever crossed my mind, in hushed tones until one of them managed to find the borders of sleep and would scold me into silence.

This museum in Montpelier, Idaho is a hoot! They have re-enactors that won't break character from 1852. They take you on a journey up the Oregon Trail.

The teacher repeated that scolding now … “Hush up!” We were about 200 projector slides, each snapping into view, given a brief introduction and replaced by another into what was a twelve tray collection of Mrs. Steinberg’s summer vacation photographs.

Queer Eye for the straight guy meets cowboy cool in Alpine, Wyoming

Mrs. Steinberg wasn’t my teacher, but no doubt, she was a good woman. Yet, she had this way about her, not that she meant to talk down to you, but she was afflicted with that thing that puts a chasm between you and other people … a thing called money. Now, she was a school teacher, true enough, and teachers made less than 10,000 dollars a year, but she was married into one of the wealthiest families in the region. It was a farm family, but not all farms or farmers were equal. There were farms and there were BIG farms. Her family was part of the latter select few with a twist. They were big farmers that had sold a substantial amount of land to the coal companies. This was a way of winning the lottery in our area long before we had the state run lottery.

The magestic Grand Tetons

I remember that she always carried a burgundy leather “Agner” purse with a large brass horseshoe looking letter A at the clasp and matching penny loafer shoes. Her “way” also translated to the other teachers and as a result, her slide projector vacation photos had been set up for my class as a special treat. Now a real organized vacation is not something we ever took, and at the time, for most of us students, this was not something we had seen before.

My camping spot in Gros Venture Point in Grand Teton National Park

It’s not like we needed to escape the pressures of the city---we had all the fireflies, tadpoles and minnows we could catch in a foil covered mason jar just outside our own back doors. Not that-that was everything. I had an old silver bicycle that my mom had picked up for me at the flea market. It was the kind with a big white banana seat and large arching chrome handlebars. I couldn’t ride it right away because it needed a new back wheel, which cost over $20 at the local hardware store—about three times more than what my mom likely paid for the bike. I was lucky enough to come up with a used wheel somewhere that had an extra wide tire mounted on it that rubbed a little on the inside of the frame when you pedaled the bike.

Outside the Animal Art Museum in jackson Hole, Wyoming

Where I lived was well known for its rolling hills and I lived on one of them, a medium sized one that was lower than the one that the barn sat on. A long gravel driveway connected the house to the barn, and then another driveway connected the house to the asphalt state highway another ¼ mile down that hill. If you started from the barn, after pushing the bike up the very steep hill, you could get a pretty good chance of getting a good ride down the hills to our mailbox next to the state road. That is if you made it. This was a steep gravel road constructed out of limestone rocks as big as a child’s fist. If you made it to the mailbox, in a cloud of white limestone dust, you were rewarded with a dose of adrenaline, which you needed for the long push back up the hill. There was no hope of pedaling this bike back up this steep grade, especially on this type of surface.

More Tetons-ain't they grand?

Once you made it to the asphalt, you could pedal on the street surface, but it soon went up hill in both directions as well. If you made it to the top of one of these hills, it was still a long way to anywhere that looked much different. The terrain had a way of holding you against your physical limitations … you really couldn’t see that far, certainly not beyond the next hill. Recognizing these limitations, it was then that I desired more than anything the 1hp Briggs & Stratton bicycle engine they advertised in the back of comic books. They cost well over $100 and like the hills, it was something that at the time I could only dream about overcoming.

Artist Point, Yellowstone National Park

After a long day’s ride on my motorcycle, I finally found a campsite just inside a national park and just in time to pitch my tent before it became too dark. After an all too brief sight selection process regulated by my bladder, I paid the attendant and parked my bike outside the restrooms. Quickly doffing my helmet and gloves, I quick like a bunny made for the door. As I stepped inside, the stagnant air overwhelmed me and I was immediately back there in the boy’s bathroom of the old school house, standing on the painted wooden box that made us tall enough to pee in the trough. The rusty drain and the smell of stale urine were the same. It prompted the memory of the unaskable question that haunted my second grade mind for weeks; “Why did I pee yellow and most of the other boys pee clear?” I finally decided that I was different because I lived way out on a farm in the country and that made me pee yellow … kinda like a country egg.

Coming into Ennis, Montana
Too cool not to photograph

The vacation pictures had been interesting at first --- Yellowstone National Park, but now we were into her drive across Canada and I needed a bathroom break soon. I should have asked while she was setting up, but I had gotten sidetracked listening to her conversation with our teacher. I remember she told her, “They probably will never get a chance to see this themselves.” I don’t think her meaning was to put on airs and her sentiment was most likely genuine---and probably correct. At the time, I knew she and I were different, but it wasn’t until later that I really understood what the word poor really meant – or learn that my father started off in the coal mines shoveling spilled coal back into rail cars for $2 an hour before the union job.

Stayed in this cabin in Nevada City, Montana
Old mining and rail equipment in Nevada/Virginia City, Montana

Just for you Cripple Creek folks out there

More old mining equipment: Virginia City had the biggest gold find in the world according to the locals.

What I did have in spades at the time was pride and she awakened something inside me, though poorly understood, which had been both affronted and intrigued. What I did understand was that there was a difference between “having the chance” and “taking the chance.” Every since that day, I have made it my priority to see what of this world I could see and explore what I am able to explore—all on my bike named chance.

Old Cars for Gypsy

Craters of the moon National park in Idaho

I encourage you all to do the same and take your own “chance” every “chance” you get.
Last edited by bruno71 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Enough said------maybe too much?"

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
mnnden
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: 1400 miles and four states on a bike named Chance

Post by mnnden »

That is as good as it gets!!!! wonderful, Thanks for posting, Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I love seeing the old rail cars and mining equipment.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I love seeing the old rail cars and mining equipment.
Yeah, I suppose that goes hand-in-hand with discussions of concrete set times as party conversation. ;)

Great photo essay BTW, Bruno. Your photos are gorgeous! Oops! Everytime I use the word gorgeous it reminds me of a girl I used to know who would..........Oh never mind.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Looks like a great trip and really nice photos! Thanks.

Get any 'performance awards' with that K bike yet! :)
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

Den--Thanks! You are always so kind in your replies to these reports. There is no doubt in my mind that you are a class act in person as well.

Biff--That old junk stopped me dead in my tracks and caused me to spend a night in in Nevada City, MT in a place I had not expected to remain. Being seduced by it must be some kind of disease. :lol:

Boxer--Glad you liked the pics ... and I would love to hear that story. :mrgreen: You always have such a great sense of humor ... and your subtle wit gave me an unexpected laugh.

wncbmw--Thanks, you are another class act on this board that makes me sad that I no longer have an R1150R, causing me to spend less time here. No performance awards yet, but I'm shopping for a radar detector, because it is just a matter of time. The bike is a lump under 10mph but a lux-rocket otherwise. It has a sweet spot at 90-95 mph where it seems to run better (smoother) than at 65. It doesn't even blink at thriple digits. This whole spline failure thing scared me off of my R, but I must admit that I miss it some. The GT seems to have its share of bugs that have to be worked through, but the payoff is incredible. I almost bought a FJR, but I guess I just couldn't face not having a BMW anymore, plus I like all the old crotchety geezers that ride them. It's a birds of a feather sort of thing I guess.

I always enjoy hearing your feedback. Take care and I'll pop in from time to time to again experience a well organized and civil board community.

Best wishes-

Damon

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Wow!...Fantastic pictures.. =D> ..Thanks...BTW..Beautiful looking bike.. :D

DJ
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

OK, Damon; was ole lady Steinberg all of 22 or 23?

Did you write that? Have to admit I paid more attention to the text than the photos, but both were most enjoyable.

Valentine 1 on the radar detector.

Yes, don't be a stranger.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

Very nice Photos thanks for taking the time to post.

Who took the census in this town? :)
bruno71 wrote: Image [/i]
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:OK, Damon; was ole lady Steinberg all of 22 or 23?

Did you write that? Have to admit I paid more attention to the text than the photos, but both were most enjoyable.
John,
Tragically, it is all directly from own befuddled musings. However, your nuanced inquiry suggests having possession of the head of a healer, but the heart of a poet? Should I cough or say ahhh as you peer past my illustrations and into my textualitis? :D

Interestingly, John Quincy Adams' grandson, Henry Adams, left a similar sentiment to Henry Cabot Lodge in regard to the publication of his autobiography,The Education of Henry Adams. He wrote, "I do not consider illustrations [or photographs] my work or having part in any correct rendering of my ideas." He went on to explain that, "I have always followed the rule of making the reader think only of the text, and I do not want to abandon it here."

Since my text lacks the artistic and philosophic depth of Adams' work, I will continue to rely upon your (and the board's) charity and the reinforcement of equally mediocre photographs. Although it is somewhat crudely rendered, there was some intention for a degree of synchronicity between the photographs and the text. It is hell on chronology, but why would one rehearse the same old tired plotting? Incidentally, Mrs. Steinberg was/is real and at the time was probably in her early fifties, God rest her soul.

-Damon

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Hey, Damon,
Just read your thread again, and liked it just as much.

The reason I asked about Ms Steinberg's age was this.

My mother taught in a small country school house in Belle Chasse, Louisiana, about 20 miles down river and across the river from New Orleans.

One day she heard one of her pupils refer to her as "Old Lady DiLeo." She laughs as she tells the story because she was only 23 at the time. She'll be 89 this month.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
michaelb1
Basic User

Post by michaelb1 »

Amazing trip!
2007 BMW R 1200 R
michaelb1
Basic User

Post by michaelb1 »

I riding west next week. Was Craters of the Moon worth it?
2007 BMW R 1200 R
Ritchard
Basic User

Post by Ritchard »

I am afraid I was involved in the test so much that I barely glanced at the pictures, I may have to go back and look at them again. A beautifully written memoir. Describing smells is a challenge, but for me as a reader it always works to situate me in a time and place. In this way your writing reminds me of my very favourite crime writer, James Lee Burke. Thank you very much.
My favourite website:
Make a Small Loan, Make a Big Difference - Check out Kiva.org to Learn How!
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Beatiful piece of Americana and great pics.....I'm ashamed to admit that I have never been up that way and need to....there are so many great places to see and visit in this great country of ours.

Thanks for the report and picture collage.......
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX