A great ride out to Wales on R1200R

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Rocket
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

A great ride out to Wales on R1200R

Post by Rocket »

Was looking forward to doing this ride again, since I had done it a few weeks previously on the Triumph Sprint ST (and decided during that run to swap it for an R1200R).

Attached the panniers and new tank bag (courtesy of BMK) ready for off at 10.30am

From Derby took the A50 to Uttoxeter then the more interesting roads started - A518 to A51 , through Stone and along the A51 to Woore.
Onto the A525 to Audlem for the first stop.

Audlem is a lovely old village, the oldest bit is the 13th Century church (in the pic). Bit of history - the village was granted it's market charter by King Edward 1st in 1296. The village had a big celebration in 1996 to mark the 700th! anniversary. That's old.

The locals leave the flags and bunting out through the summer due to a busy programme of events organised by the village Parish Council and Amenities Group. There's a Pantomime in January, a weekend Summer Carnival, "Proms in the Park" , Funky Weekend (for the kids), Festival of Transport, Open Gardens (all July), Arts & Crafts weekend (Sept) , Bonfire night (5th Nov) , Carols in the square at Christmas and Fireworks on New Years Eve.

...you can also get a cracking "full English breakfast " at the local cafe..

Continued west to Whitchurch. Around the ring road and picked up the A525 then A529 to Llangollen. From here, picked up the A5 west along the stunning River Dee Valley. (colours in photo a bit blue-ish due to faulty camera)

Had a chat with this off-road group - they were from neighbouring Chesterfield! The group hired a couple of "local guide" riders for the day. (group members paid £30 each) . The young lad in the second photo was gob-smacked at the wheelies the guys pulled as they left. He loved it.

After a quick toilet stop , onwards to Druid , then a left turn onto the A494 to Bala Lake...

...and followed the lovely A494 to Dolgellau. Some of the best scenery along this road.

Then picked up the beautiful A496 for the final 8 mile stretch into Barmouth...

Barmouth Heritage:
The first record of Barmouth as a small port on the Welsh Coast was in 1565 in a survey commissioned by Queen Elizabeth I. Subsequently, Barmouth and the Afon Mawddach developed as one of the major ship building centres in Wales during the 18th & 19th centuries.

The shipbuilding has long gone, but the smaller boats still look pretty in the harbour, with the Snowdonian mountains in the background (Cader Idris the big one on the right).

Oh, and if you ever fancy a swim in the estuary, be careful, that tide travels at 4-5 knots at its peak, and if you're sailing watch out for the sand bar about half mile out - I hit it once going flat out on my racing dinghy. Came to abrupt stop, at least the boat did , as the keel rammed into the sand. I took to the air temporarily :shock: :shock: .

I followed these 2 Harley's from Bala Lake. The owners , a 50-something married couple from Wrexham, were out for a weekend break. The blue one (forget the model) is owned by the wife. She had the panniers flown in from the States (not available in UK) and colour-matched with the bike. Apparently this model is not rated by the Harley purists - cos its not "air-cooled".

My treat to myself...

After a pleasant rest on the beach, and a walk around the harbour , I started the return journey in the late afternoon sun , and with a tail wind. Lovely.
Cracking roads and scenery for the best part of 3 hours....

some of the colours a bit off on these but you get the gist. Note, the Dee Valley Railway where you can take a steam train ride into the mountains..

Arrived home at just gone 8.00pm, having covered 299.5 miles at an average 55mpg. Not a bad day in all.

Still buzzin from that trip, 2 days later... :D
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)
2006 KTM 400 EXC (Orange,.. obviously)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Airman
Basic User

Re: A great ride out to Wales on R1200R

Post by Airman »

Excellent ride report, and great pictures ! Tell me, what's a "full English breakfast" consist of ? I have heard the term, but no explanation.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
snag
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 639

Post by snag »

Ron,

Great pics yet again. Looks like you're getting full use out of your 12R, I think that I will have to have a sick day soon. Those twin keel sailboats just look unnatural to me sitting there in the mud, but obviously work like a charm. Gotta go, I'm at work and am riding the CB750 tonight. Need to put 25 miles on her on a 6 mile trip home to get enough heat through the exhaust so they don't rot. One of the reasons why I bought the 12R.

Regards.

Doug
Plea bargaining does have its advantages.
'08 12R
'79 CBX
'74 CB750
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Airman wrote:Excellent ride report, and great pictures ! Tell me, what's a "full English breakfast" consist of ? I have heard the term, but no explanation.
The "full english breakfast " can vary form place to place but generally is a cooked breakfast consisting of:

A couple of rashes of Bacon
Fried or scrambled egg
A couple of fried sausages
Fried tomatoes
Fried mushrooms
baked beans
and occasionally, black pudding (although I pass on this ) and a half slice of fried bread.

...all with toast and a cup of English tea.

Usually followed by more toast and marmalade. Sets you up for the day.

Not the healthiest meal on the planet, but very tastey.
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
brem
Lifer
Donating Member #: 621

Post by brem »

Fantastic photos. Wales looks really nice to have a ride through. I'll add that to the list the next time I go to the UK.

Dare I ask what's sticking out of your ice cream?
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

brem wrote:Fantastic photos. Wales looks really nice to have a ride through. I'll add that to the list the next time I go to the UK.

Dare I ask what's sticking out of your ice cream?

...It's a Cadburys flake (crumbly chocolate). The perfect compliment to an ice cream. When in UK, just ask for a "99"

The Snowdonia National Park in the north of Wales has the most picturesque roads but mid Wales is also beautiful - see the phots in my other ride report .
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17718&start=0

Elan Valley and Brecon Beacons in mid Wales are worth a visit. Wales is also the best area in the UK for off-roading
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE