Hnugry Mother 2009 Ride reports and Photos Thread

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Hnugry Mother 2009 Ride reports and Photos Thread

Post by Boxer »

Marvin lives not too far from me here in north Atlanta metro area, and I emailed him after seeing the Youtube video, but I haven't heard the story yet myself. When I do I'll post it for the masses. It apparently happened on his way home through the western NC wilderness, to have been aided by that guy from Sylva.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Report from Marvin just came in! Here I have copied his words:

the bear came from the left over two lanes to center guard rail, made a zig zag move and suddenly went on the guard rail and in front of me. Speed known at that time, He clipped front wheel and threw up or discharged #2 all over my left cyclinder head some sort of purple berries. The bike healed over on the left side, I went down found myself sliding on the road and viewed bike sliding away from me in right lane, I rolled around abit so all sides would be evenly bruised, I got a look back behind me and saw the vw bug that had been following me a ways back, was not sure if they were still moving but as soon as I could get on my feet, jumped up and ran to guard rail in center median. Not a scratch on my helmet, rain jacket elbows wore out, slight abrasion to to knee of riding pants. Left knee hurt but not terrible, My knee is almost healed now. and my bike has about 2K worth of damage, I need to get it down to BMW of Atlanta so they can get it fixed up for me. The crazy thing about it was afterwards I was not nervous or shaking, it was just an everyday thing. When done with state patrol jumped on and rode it home. I felt like a GP moto racer after a spill at 120, just got back up and hit the road again.

I think he meant "speed unknown at that time".
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

From the pictures, I didn't think that Marvin went down. I had no idea. I just thought the bear hit the cylinder head and the side case, and that Marvin stopped on the side of the road to check for damage. I am glad that Marvin wasn't hurt much ( =D> ), altough I am sorry to hear of the mild injuries and the bike.

I feel bad for the bear also.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Sorry to hear about the bear encounter and glad Marvin is ok.
Too bad about the bike and the bear though!

Boxer, that was a great show! =D> =D> =D> Thanks.
Nice Photoshop job on that "Mystery Guest"! :lol:
Sorry I missed HM, but I'd been too long away from home all summer already.
Last edited by Sunbeemer on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich
ADIOS!
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Re Marvin: WOW! Glad he is OK.

Boxer, since Marvin and I were wearing the same jacket from Olympia, I would be interested if he was wearing it under the rain jacket and a crash report on how it held up!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295