Vegas to Tucson

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Tarmac
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Vegas to Tucson

Post by Tarmac »

Memories of past 48 hours dim at best. Rolled out of Vegas this morning on Helga with a full belly, no hang-over, and cash in my pocket.

Ran right into a world class desert wind storm. Huge gusts of wind tossing Helga and I around the road. Sustained side wind has us riding leaned over to the side like we were on the high banks of Daytona. Nearly died going over the new Pat Tillman/Hover Dam bypass bridge.

New windscreen, saddle bags, head wind, and possible miss-use of the loud handle ruined our gas mileage. Ran out of gas 12 miles out of Wikieup AZ. 1st guy I wave to pulls over. Retired couple from Silver Spring, Maryland, MY HOMETOWN!!! Drove into town and brought me back a gallon of gas. Wouldn't take my money, had to put it in his pocket.

Said, "F'it" and took the 303 through Phoenix instead of 101 through Sun City. I heart dotted yellow lines.

Riding through the bare cotton fields of S. AZ with a purple sunset in my shoulder.

Life IS A daring adventure.
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
Tarmac
Basic User

Re: Vegas to Tucson

Post by Tarmac »

edit
Tarmac

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Just ... whoa

so, any regrets?

Those miserable rides sometimes turn out to be the most memorable, n'est pas?

I remember two: one on Utah 12, I think or maybe 24???, going through the Dixie national forest in nearly freezing fog, 34 degrees, 10,000 feet, I was just trying to keep her between the lines. I remember thinking these were the most awful conditions I ever rode in and it was great. The other time on US 550, on the twisties south of Ouray, in hail. I was with a friend and we still talk about that. Only once do I shudder at what I rode through, and that was a pouring rain on I 10 in the eastern part of New Orleans, a uniquely horrid rodeway. Pooled water, trucks, big splashes. I exited as soon as I could. Not fun at all, but that was the only time.
Glad you made it safely.
John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

Actually, I had an awesome time. Just thinking about the ride brings a big poo-eating grin to my face.
Tarmac

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z