Soliciting Your Travel Advice

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Soliciting Your Travel Advice

Post by DMM »

Hey, all. Possibly taking a cross-country trip later this summer. I've done this sort of trip by Jeep a few times, but this would be the first coast-to-coast trip by bike. I've been riding for years and I've taken many long rides (e.g., 1,000 miles or less - riding highway and back-country roads).

Previous CC trips were through the south and middle of the country. This time, I'd like to take a northerly route. The idea is to head from DC through WV and then make my way to South Dakota (Black Hills), Wyoming (Tetons and Yellowstone), Idaho, Oregon (Crater Lake), and then the PCH to the Bay Area of California (to see family and friends).

I am soliciting your advice on places that you'd recommend (BMW shops or other mc service shops, whether for service or a drop-in/rest stop, and towns or sights worth seeing) and any recommendations on tools and items that you believe are indispensable for such a trip.

I may or may not have a buddy tagging along (by truck) who could serve as a follow vehicle (carrying supplies and such); however, I am not counting on that.

FWIW, I am a member of BMW MOA, member here (obviously), and a member on ADV Rider. I've got two excellent complete tool sets, the BMW system cases, and a tank bag. However, I am also looking to keep gear to a minimum, as I prefer to travel light if possible (years ago, a week-long back-country ski trip with 60 lbs on my back taught me the value of not carrying too much).

Thanks in advance and cheers.
Last edited by DMM on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member #725
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Soliciting Your Travel Advice

Post by riceburner »

Never done a trip quite like that (the UK simply isn't that big), but my first piece of advice would be to make sure the bike is in tip-top condition all round BEFORE you leave (about 3 weeks beforehand, to allow time for urgent replacement parts suddenly needed to arrive). New pads, new tyres, new oil, new plugs at a minimum, and a good test ride after the work's completed to ensure nothing is awry.

I'd also do the minor work with the toolkit you intend to carry - just to ensure you're carrying what you actually need, and that it actually works ok! (then you can strip out the useless bits).

It's the little things that make the difference to comfort and happiness - so I'd make sure you have a trip-optimised pack with ear-plugs (if you use them), visor cleaner, batteries, phone charger, couple of snack bars (invaluable during a long day's ride I find) etc.

Re packing light - you can either buy cheap underclothes en route and throw them away (if you're profligate), or pack and wear cleverly - eg getting changed after the day's riding, then wearing the same clothes you wear in the evening as the next day's riding clothes. An hour's stop in a launderette half-way is probably not going to wreck the trip.

Personally I hate wearing a rucksack, and don't like large tank-bags, so I'd look into decent luggage solutions that go behind you on the bike, (Top box, rear-rack etc).

Make sure you KNOW how your sat-nav/nav systems work, and do NOT feel that you're tied to your route - go explore!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Sounds like a great trip.

FWIW:

Consider route and weather. If you have the option, plot your course in order to minimize exposure to whatever weather you consider uncomfortable. Riding a 500 mile day is great at 70*F under clear skies, but too hot/humid and you might not be so excited about hopping back in the saddle the next day.

Like Riceburner says, get all of your gear "dialed in" before start of journey. That includes what you're wearing, any electronics, choice of seat, even flavor of chewing gum (strong peppermint for me).

As for tools - I have brought lots of tools on some trips, didn't need a thing and felt foolish unpacking at end of travels, while on other occasions wished I had packed more; there's no correct answer to this question, just as there's no prescience concerning breakdowns en route. If you feel better packing spares, then do so. Otherwise, make a reasonable effort to have all bike systems 100%, take note of mechanical conditions at start, and do a brief morning inspection each day. The bike is just a machine: there's always some remote chance of a failure, and the only true moto-travel failsafe is sitting on the bike in the garage making "vroom-vroom" sounds while imagining the sights you'll see.

My 1st trip this year begins Sunday, probably 2500-3000 miles depending on mood, weather, and protective performance of Monkey Butt Powder. How about I make some follow-up comments after getting back in the saddle for desert destinations after a long wet Oregon winter?

Lots to see out here in the West.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote: the only true moto-travel failsafe is sitting on the bike in the garage making "vroom-vroom" sounds while imagining the sights you'll see.
broke an ankle once doing that. :( ( too many beers,fell off the bike)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Just my opinion but, make sure the motorcycle is in "go" condition, and don't worry about a bunch about tools and such, take your Anonymous book , a clear credit card, and a cell phone There really is not much you can repair on the side of the road. Small things yes, but those can likely wait till the motel p/lot,..if the motorcycle is actually "down" call for a tow.

I've crossed the Rockies six times, been to the coast three times, I live in Ohio. Good route,better route,best route?....is all up to you and what you want to see. I've done your suggested northern route, & it is BEAUTIFUL. First rule of travel out west,...particularly if on US & state routes?...if ya see gas?..buy gas...never know for sure how long in between. Don't ask my travel buddy Carl how we know that [-X ever push a fully loaded Goldwing, in 90 degree heat? I've done three trips with friends, & three alone. There is something about traveling alone?.....but then it is nice to share a good trip with friends.

Take cold weather & hot weather clothes ,...you'll likely wear it all, at one time or another.

I've done snow-suit to shorts to snow-suit again...all in the same day.

One last thing I can think of, if ya go through O'Neil, Neb ?..stop at Alison's steakhouse... you will not regret it....YUM, YUM!!
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

all good advice. esp the advice about gas. I did a ride report a couple of years ago that covers some of the area you'll travel, it's on this section, called Out West.
Tools, you may use NONE of them, but I carry a folding set of torx and metric and english hex wrenches and an old alternator belt. You could burn out your hibeam along the way, but you can get an H4 at a pepboys etc.
1150 or 1200?
I carry about 250 ccs of oil with me and until my most recent trip, have always used it.If you buy oil along the way it is impossible to seal it so that it does not leak. It is impossible to to that reliably.
I now carry some gas just because of the scarcity of gas stations along your route. I carry the oil in a recycled "sevoflurane" bottle. "Sevo" is a commonly used general anesthetic and we go through it pretty quickly. The bottle is 250cc, made of aluminum with an epoxy interior coating. The screw top seals well and has never failed me. Hospitals throw them away in the regular trash. You will need to know someone who works in a OR to get one. Tell them why you want it. They are great little bottles.
Motels or camping?

Make sure all your technology works, whatever that may consist of. Fix everything before you leave; DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING "FOR WHEN YOU RETURN."
Check your tires. Sounds like you looking at about 8-10k miles? are your tires new? will they last that long?
Put a small spray bottle of windex, or the like, in your tank bag, along with a small soft cotton rag to clean your visor as needed.
Two visors, one tinted, one clear. Consider a 1" wide strip of electrical tape on the top of the visor as a sun block.
Chap stik near at hand. Your lips will crack. I carry a bike cover-- a neutered one with NO logo of anything.
You can buy water along the way...WalMart is your friend. A hat for when you're off the bike. Flip flops and a pair of shorts for going to breakfast at the motel, or the quick run out to the bike.
good maps can be obtained for free from AAA, if you know someone who's a member. Clif Bars
Camera ready to go. If you are shooting with a big camera that needs packing away, consider a small point and shoot in addition to carry in your jacket pocket or tank bag.
Consider a flat piece of metal--like the cover to an electrical box-- tied to a long string and kept in the map pocket of your tank bag, to use when you are parking on a soft surface. I used mine three times in two weeks a month or so ago and everytime it was essential to use it.
A good length of duct tape wrapped around a bottle of rubbing alcohol--both useful for all sorts of things.
A SPOT device could be considered?
When are you leaving?
John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

Thanks everyone! The advice is much appreciated. Most of the general suggestions were already ones in mind - like bike prep and tools, but each of you had a point or two that I am adding to my own list.

Camping vs motels? Well, that wasn't yet decided. I am not sure if I can easily carry the equipment necessary to camp. If, after loading the bike with gear (as a test before the trip), I have room to add the equipment, then I may try that. If not, then it isn't an issue. While I'm not a fan or motel linens, a motel offers conveniences that camping does not.

Of course, as of this morning, my trip may have to be postponed due to work. :x
Again, thanks for the suggestions! I am sincerely looking forward to making this happen... soon, I hope. [-o<
Member #725