Snapping Twig's Big Adventure

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Snapping Twig
Basic User

Snapping Twig's Big Adventure

Post by Snapping Twig »

Got a friend that likes to take moto trips. Got a new ride that can do such things and the friend asked me to join him on this summer's outing.

The plan was to get up to Tulelake to see the lava beds and caves, other than that, it was up to me what I'd like to do.

Our plan was to stay in Motel 6 or other such accommodations as long as they were in the $60 range. Eat on the inexpensive where we could and have a meal somewhere nice for dinner.

Our mission would take a week, our plan was to leave the day after Father's Day and be back Saturday or Sunday.

We hoofed it out on 280 from Daly City, crossed the Bridge and hit 80 to Sacto, then caught 70 to Chico, our first stop.

Did I mention the Valley is hot? Damn hot.

Some road construction on 70 outside of Marysville messed with our minds making the wheels step out a bit, so we slowed WAY down, that did the trick and had a first night at the Super 8 and a dinner at Denny's. Buss man's holiday of sorts. :)

Here's our route.

Got up early, said ciao to Chico and hit 32 to 36 to 44/89 and crossed 299 and stayed on 89 till we got to Bartle and took 15 straight up to 97, then 161 E and then 136 to Tulelake.

Picture of the summit at Lassen Park.

Nice BnB there, Fe's BnB. Great people and a good breakfast and even more importantly - good coffee.

Saw the Lava Beds and caves, stayed another night there and took off the next morning for Weaverville.

We reversed our route, hit 136, then 161 and then 97 and followed that until we passed Grass Lake and the Living Memorial Sculpture Gardens and found A 12 which took us through Scott's Valley to Hwy 3 at Yreka. 3 took us up over the mountain and along the west side of Trinity Lake to the junction of 299 and Weaverville.

Hot and sweaty, we grabbed some rooms at the 49er Country Inn, hit the pool and then went out for grub and trinket shopping/sight seeing. Got my wife a couple maps (ghost towns of California and Gems and precious metals deposits of California) at the local museum. Lots to see there.

Hit up the Weaverville Hotel Emporium for a couple inexpensive but nice sterling rings for my daughter.

Caught dinner at the La Grange bar (highly recommended!) and couldn't believe how good the veal & eggplant parmisian with angle hair pasta in olive oil and wood roasted al dente vegetables were! OMG! Excellent chef - either that or I was sensory deprived from road burgers. :)

La Grange bar.

Got up early Friday and the sky and reports promised rain, so we hit the road and made it to Arcata. I wanted to stay and wait out the rain, ride those good switchbacks the next day, but my friend wanted to go, so off we went.

PSA - rain rides SUCK!

We were in the slop with the semi's on 101 until Leggett, then we hit 1 to the coast and it REALLY got interesting. He's riding an FJR, I have an R1200R, but more importantly, I have a pin-lock visor and he doesn't - yet. I'm certain he's going to get one after that ride. LOL! I loved the twisties, but doing them cold and wet isn't the best choice. He just plain couldn't see.

I'd venture to guess the R1200R has an edge handling over the FJR, so that was another point in my favor for that leg, but eventually we made it - tired, cold and hungry, devoid of energy.

Refuge was had at the Glass Beach BnB. Nancy the owner took our things and dried them, gave us coffee and after a hot shower, we were both more or less put together again. Some rest and then a nice dinner at a local steak and burger place where the bartender/waitress was a nice Ukrainian girl that liked to chat and we had a great meal and conversation.

Up early and a nice breakfast at the BnB, then off down the coast to Albion and 126 to Cloverdale. OMG, what a nice stretch of road! Our waitress suggested it and I'm glad we listened to her.

After that it was slabbing 101 south to get home.

All in all it was 1154 miles in 6 days, some of the prettiest scenery and nicest people. Felt like Huell Howser from PBS - no joke. Talk to everyone, all friendly, good times.

Only blemish for me was after a picture stop I had just kicked my stand up and turned the ignition key when something stung the bejeezus out of my lower back. Having my left foot up and the bike leaning slightly to the left it tipped past the point of no return before I could get my foot down. I slowed the drop to a gentle placement on the ground, so zero damage and my friend helped me get it back up no sweat.

Just before incident.

I'm going to do this again, that's for sure! Only issue is where to go next time.

My friend made a Smile Box of our ride.

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openThe ... d0d0a&sb=1

Edited to add...

I got myself a throttle lock from Wonderlich made for my ride and I can not describe what a necessity it is for such rides. Made a world of difference.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Snapping Twig's Big Adventure

Post by sweatmark »

Ah, some of my favorite moto-country!

Just in case you haven't been, CA36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna is not to be missed...

You can catch either west or east half of 36 (the portion between I-5 and rhe coast) via Weaverville and CA3. I am duty-bound each year to post that photo, although I'd prefer to keep my favorite road a secret.

There's a great burger place in Chester, if you hang a right onto 36 from northbound 89. Burger Depot.

On the west side of NorCal, the Raging Creek pub is recommended stop in Willow Creek.

Another great road from 1 to 101: take Skaggs Springs Road from Stewarts Point eastward to Cloverdale/Healdsburg. Excellent sweepers!

Cannot wait to get to NorCal this season.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

I've got to be honest in admitting 36 looked mighty tasty!

I will be taking it in due time. I did sample some of it along the way, east of 5 and found it excellent.

Hwy 89N was great BTW and the turnoff to 15N wasn't half bad either.

The road to and through Lassen from Chico was super! That route was 32 to 36 to 44/89. Try it some time, you'll like it. :)

I started out 4 years back on a 1985 Virago 700. I modified the suspension with WORKS on the rear and RaceTech springs and emulators for the front and it was great. Once I established that I liked to ride, it became apparent that a longer trip capability was needed and while I am certain there are equal rides to be had, I am very pleased with my BMW - it's right for me.

When the OEM tires wear out (Bridgestone BT-021), I will get some PR-3's. That should work out well and I'll do my best to wear them out on other trips. :)
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Yo, ST, thanks for posting this
and ditto on the PR3s

I would love to get that far out, but it is very far for me, I'd prob need 3+weeks to do it. It's on the bucket list. and your report makes it all the more tempting.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

Hi ST,
I came to my R12 from an FJR identical to your friends and I'd say they handle like chalk and cheese in comparison. Not to mention the almost 100Kg weight difference which is what lead me to swap. The FJR is fairly nimble though and for longer distance is probably more comfortable than the R (M first trip is in 6 weeks so I can't fully compare yet).

As a Brit. I'd describe the two by mis-quoting what is said about the difference between soccer and rugby;
The FJR is like cricket - a gentleman's game played by gentlemen. The R12 is like rugby - a Hooligans game played by gentlemen :twisted:
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!