Dallas to Albuquerque - advice needed

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete88
Basic User

Dallas to Albuquerque - advice needed

Post by Pete88 »

Hi. Can anyone give me good intelligence on the best roads from Dallas to Albuquerque? I plan to ride solo and am looking for an interesting paved route. I will be equipped to camp. Thanks! pete R1150R
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: Dallas to Albuquerque - advice needed

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

There are a couple/3 ways to go.

If you go the "northern" route you can hit Palo Duro Canyon, then head toward Bellville NM, eventually on NM 209. The TX portion is pretty flat, just look for what appear to be "interesting" roads, though the best is to come. If you don't go to Palo Duro Canyon, but head in the direction of Bellville on 84 you'll get to go through Muleshoe and Lariat. Yup.

The advantage of going this way is a remarkable sight/site, in addition to the defunct Bellville, NM post office, which is a photo op I think. The remarkable sight/site is when 209 turns right at a rise and SUDDENLY and with no warning you are face to face with THE WEST. You'll know it when you see it. You'll get to Tucumcari on the continuation of 209, a long lonely beautiful road that is sort of straight, where some have seen what their steed "can do." You may also see a rattler crossing the road. Tucumcari is a day from Dallas

so that's the northern route.

Then there is the middle route on 380 through Roswell (and Lincoln, look it up). This is a nice ride also, more mountains, and you can take the 246 spur around the Capitan mountains, maybe stay at the Smokey the Bear Motel. ON your way to I 25 (because you'll have to take it for some distance no matter what route you take, or the frontage road), look for a couple of ruins of missions, there are two and I forget their names but they are either off of 380 or 60? The one closer to I 25 is particulary nice. This is a nice ride too.
edit: Abo and something else

Now, if you want alpine, and sweepers take 82 and wind your way. You wind up in Alamagordo, which with a little investigation, can land you in fine restaurants, a neat model train museum and areas away from the main drag going through town.

All three routes are very nice and it's a coin flip among the three. Or take one out and another back. Are you just stopping in ABQ or touring that area? I love NM and there are LOTS of cool places to ride. Sandia BMW in ABQ and the one in Santa Fe are good shops should you need one.

For some pictures check out a ride report I did
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24159
It has a lot in that general area.

hope this helps

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Dallas to Albuquerque - advice needed

Post by Boxer »

+1 on that 70/84 route through Muleshoe. I especially liked the 60 across from Clovis. You don't want to miss the Billy The Kid connection in Fort Sumner. Cool gravesite and trading post there for a short break.

I also love New Mexico. So many fun roads and really cool "spiritual" places to ride along and see. If you are heading down I-25 turn west on 60 and head over to Pie Town for a piece of pie at the continental divide. Just off 60 in Pie Town there is a small RV site, locally owned...and they will let you pitch a tent for little or nothing. I'm talking bath house and shower here.