2008 FALL BASH MOVED TO EUREKA SPRINGS, ARKANSAS- Join us!!

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Re: 2008 FALL BASH MOVED TO EUREKA SPRINGS, ARKANSAS- Join us!!

Post by duckdave »

Last call for T shirts:
Had to change the design to reflect new location and to hold costs down (turns out they charge more for each color, and for front/back printing. Imagine!) So the new design is a white logo on the back of a black SS shirt. Cost will be about $15 for "regular sizes"; XXL and above $1-2 more.

I have orders from OU812, mad1150, Ves and, gee myself…and I guess that's all? Boxer? jb44? any of the rest of you want in on this? Sorry, two kids in college means I can't bankroll an extra dozen or so (Wanna buy some Lehmans Bros stock?). This order has to go in ASAP; will do so tomorrow. So if you have not ordered yet…
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Ves
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Ves »

duckdave wrote:I want to make sure everyone is registering for the right motel. Our headquarters motel is Carolyn's Ozark Swiss Inn. It's a little confusing b/c there are motels in the area that contain the words "Swiss", "Inn", "Ozark" and a few more like "Village" and "Valley"

Carolyn's Ozark Swiss Inn is located on 3061 E Van Buren in Eureka Springs, AR 72632-9712

Here's the link: <http://www.carolynsozarkswissinn.com/>
Here's the Phone Number
(866) 285-0953
Ask for Debbie, and be sure to tell them you're with "Dave's BMW group"

Gotta go finish the tee-shirt design...
By the way... apparently you had your riding ear plugs in when you talked to this girl... her name is Cindy... not Debbie.. When we first called there, one of the people is like, "No, there's no Debbie working here." Finally got to someone to take a reservation, and it's Cindy. She says I kept telling that guy it was Cindy but he kept calling me Debbie... "I've been called worse." she says... :lol: :lol: :D
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Re:

Post by ka5ysy »

GypsyRR wrote:... Is there anything worse than riding slab...? ](*,)
Uh..... Not Riding at all? Is this a trick question??? :-k
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

OMG, I did mean Cindy! I must be losing it!!

Anyway, I called and apologized to her. Anyone without reservations should also call and make them, ASAP.
It's Carolyn's Ozark Swiss Inn and it's located on 3061 E Van Buren in Eureka Springs, AR 72632-9712.
Toll free # is (866) 285-0953. Ask for Cindy!

Some details, FYI. The place is on the ridge, just out of downtown area. To get to downtown is easy, you have 4 choices:
1. Ride your m/c (and worry about where to park it---probably not too big a problem)
2. Walk (probably not too big a problem)
3. Ride the Trolley which stops just outside the motel.

And for those late night returns where you may need a little help…
4. Call the limo service ($5 to anywhere in town, anytime)

Right now I'm working on a place to have our Saturday night dinner/prize drawing/party. I have one place that's just a couple o'blocks from the motel, looks nice and is reasonably priced. I'll post about it soon, but if anyone has any suggestions they know about, or have heard about, let me know and we'll consider it.

Speaking of which… (prize drawing) ya'll get your goodies together ya hear (and don't forget to bring them). My local BMW (Ducati/Triumph/Vespa) Motorcycles of Little Rock contributed 3 nice golf-type t-shirts and a hat to the cause. I know mad1150 and Vicki have hit up their local BMW dealer, and have been stock-piling goodies since last November. I don't know what we'll do without Boxermania to hand out the prizes (perhaps he'll reconsider and drive his secret ride on up here), but we still have the able MC, Boxer, to rely on.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Re: Re:

Post by GypsyRR »

ka5ysy wrote:

I DIDN'T say THAT!!! VES did (page 1). I agree. No riding is worse than riding slab. What was Ves thinking?
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

GypsyRR wrote:
ka5ysy wrote:

I DIDN'T say THAT!!! VES did (page 1). I agree. No riding is worse than riding slab. What was Ves thinking?
I plead temporary insanity.... 8-[

It's funny your bring this up. Yesterday I was looking back at some to the rides I did when I was in my late teens and early 20's. I spent most of my time on interstates... One particular ride we went up into Canada via Detroit... then across Canada to Niagara Falls... down through Pennsylvania then loop back to IL... it was basically all interstate (time constraints; aaaaaah to be young and stupid again... what time constraints does a 20 year old have? #-o ). Man, Ohio on I-80 was BORING. I can still remember to this day my cousin and I pulling over at one point and talking about having a hard time staying awake... at which point a cop came along and told us if we didn't get moving he'd give us a ticket... #-o That will wake you up...

Ya. I'm spoiled now... Track days and WI roads did that to me (that's my story and I'm sticking with it)... The wife and I will be trailering the bikes to Arkansas...

I don't see GypsyRR on the attendee list...
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Ves wrote:; aaaaaah to be young and stupid again... ...

I don't see GypsyRR on the attendee list...

:shock: I don't see the correlation between the two above statements you made. :lol:

I was hoping against hope that I would be able to make it, but the hurricane knocked my power out for 2 weeks, so I lost some valuable work time as did a group with whom I'm working in Asia right after The Roadster Ride in Eureka, (hence forth known as Reeka Roadster Ride). Soooooo, no chance I'm going to have a few free days to make it before leaving for China. Ves, I was looking forward to meeting your wife and seeing Vicki (mad1150's wife) again as well. Next time. Someone - - - please take a lot of photos. I'd like to see what Arkansas looks like that early in October for future planning. Thanks.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

It appears at the moment that I unfortunately may not be able to come as planned. I rode the bike over to Rob's yesterday to install the FD bearing, hoping to be done and back home by dinner time at the latest. We hit a snag! The big bearing is really stuck on the outside crowngear hub. We could not get it pulled off!...and all the machine shops were closed on Saturday. Now I hope you all know that if Rob cannot get it off, it is indeed in need of a machine shop puller. Long story short, I had to call for a ride and leave the bike at Rob's house until he can go to a shop tomorrow to have the bearing pulled off and the new one pushed on. Everything else went fine except in trying to get the hardened loctite off the left pivot pin, I heated it with a heat gun to soften the loctite a little. I managed to scrape all the loctite off...but then the pin had swollen from the heat and the little needle bearing inner race would not go back over it. Those pivot pins have very fine threads and are super light. They're made of aluminum and anodized, so apparently the heating with the heat gun was too much for them. That's really okay, I have to get a new one for the other side anyway. The old worn-out needle bearing on the right side had worn a groove in the bottom side of the pin, and I need a new one of those anyway. I might as well buy both at the same time. :-) But that necessitates a visit back to the dealer for those parts we didn't expect to need to replace.

I'm rambling way OT here! The big problem preventing my trip to Arkansas, is the absence of gasoline in Atlanta. It may be better in a couple of weeks but is not expected until later on. Plus I may not get the big bike all back together because I can't get out to get parts and run them over to Rob, etc. NO GAS! I'm not kidding. There are literally no stations with gas in this huge metro area. The few that DO get a delivery have it sucked up immediately by long lines of SUVs and cages just setting there waiting. My immediate problem is getting to work this week and I felt I needed to warn someone that I will probably not be making that trip on the 10th. I don't know about Rob. He may have some gas in reserve, knowing his level of preparedness, so I can't say whether he would be able to get there or not. Right now, it just doesn't look good for me.
I never was a very good Boy Scout.
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

GypsyRR wrote:...
I was hoping against hope that I would be able to make it, but the hurricane knocked my power out for 2 weeks, so I lost some valuable work time as did a group with whom I'm working in Asia right after The Roadster Ride in Eureka, (hence forth known as Reeka Roadster Ride). Soooooo, no chance I'm going to have a few free days to make it before leaving for China. Ves, I was looking forward to meeting your wife and seeing Vicki (mad1150's wife) again as well. Next time. Someone - - - please take a lot of photos. I'd like to see what Arkansas looks like that early in October for future planning. Thanks.
Yeah, that whole hurricane thing really blows....
China... don't drink the water, unless it comes in a bottle, or you've personally filtered it.... I have it from a reliable second hand source.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Rooms are full. :(
I left my number if they have a cancellation.
Phil, you can always ride the 650. ;)
I guess we are staying here: http://www.ridersrestmotel.com/
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

OU812 wrote:Rooms are full. :(
I left my number if they have a cancellation.
Phil, you can always ride the 650. ;)
I guess we are staying here: http://www.ridersrestmotel.com/
So, you're going now? Cool...

Actually a 650 is probably the better choice... more agile...
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

Rider's Rest Motel (Biker's Only) is just 0.2 miles up the road from Carolyn's Ozark Swiss Inn. The Rest was high on my original list of alternates, but they did not have enough rooms (then); in fact, they recommended Carolyn's to me. Whether OU812 stays there, or gets a room with the rest of us, I think we should definitely check that place out for possible future reference.

I called CINDY at Carolyn's, and indeed, they are presently out of rooms. But they have Steve on the top of their list, and are calling to confirm reservations to try and find him a room. If they turn up more than one, Cindy's going to call me so I can keep ya'll informed about availability.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Okay, I was able to make the run for the parts and got them to Rob Tuesday afternoon. We worked on the bike and got it all back together but I couldn't ride two bikes home so my wife will take me over tomorrow to pick it up from Rob's.

If the gas problem has gotten better by next week, I'll go ahead and come to Arkansas and take my chances on a room (in case Dave gives my space to someone else because I'm so wishy-washy)(which would be okay).

When we got my bike back together Tuesday and all was well with the world, I just wanted hug ole Rob I felt so good...but thought better of it since he had his shirt off...and it might have really embarrassed him in front of his wife and all. :biggrin:
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Phil, I think Rob would have REALLY liked a big hug from a Bear like you. :lol:
If the rooms are full take a shot at the http://www.ridersrestmotel.com/ but I am sure anyone of us could find you a cot. Hope to see you there buddy!
PS, Get Rob to make the trip so I can spank him on my RT. :badgrin:
:lol:
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

I am truly sorry that I will not be able to join in the fun this time around. Responsibilities are intruding. But I am now planning on the 2009 DuckDave Bash. Have a great/safe time everybody!

mac
mad1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 522

Post by mad1150 »

Here's a couple other places to visit in the E. S. area:

Bentonville BMW:
http://www.bentonvillebmw.com/

and

CycleGadgets:
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/
Mark - Member 522

04 R1150R (Silver)
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

Good, they got my order for good weather in time! And the tee-shirts are on their way! =D>
Woo hoo, things just keep getting better and better. \:D/
This is going to be a blast!!!! :smt040
Be there or be square. :smt035

I'm planning to go up on Thursday, as early as I can break away. Is anyone coming through Little Rock on their way?
Anyone with a car or truck that wouldn't mind carrying a box of stuff?
PM or email me, please.
Ditto, anyone wants my cell # (just in case, ya know)

wdwessinger (replace this with that little round symbol that means at) mac (dot) com
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Some friends of mine have said that this area is known as a hippie hangout. 8) Boy if I left my hair long I would fit right in! :lol:
nevada72
Basic User

Post by nevada72 »

Boxer wrote: If the gas problem has gotten better by next week, I'll go ahead and come to Arkansas and take my chances on a room (in case Dave gives my space to someone else because I'm so wishy-washy)(which would be okay).
I know some people have sourced out racing gas. It's pricey of course, but sometimes available when all the other stuff runs out in emergency situations.

Even if ES is totally out of rooms, which is rare, there are many towns nearby. Rogers is less than an hour away and I'm sure you could get a nice hotel there in a pinch. I personally wouldn't want to ride those twisties at night, however.