Mexico in winter???

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

kantuckid
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Mexico in winter???

Post by kantuckid »

I am looking for a ride partner to Mexico in January/February 08. I live in KY and will logically enter via Texas. I am not an off roader(I actually live off road for that matter) but am one to stop(fish,snorkel,history,relax,beach,eat,hike,generally gin around some) and smell the roses,i.e., not one to pass up things of historical or other interest, and more likely to want to hike a remote place in the woods than ride dirt .Being a retired teacher/greasy type, I cannot afford 5 star hotels, so some camping and cheaper-read normal type lodging may be in order. Riding fast is OK but stopping is a priority as well.I would like to see the Copper Canyon, but at the same time don't want to plan a trip as going there , looking it all over then turning around and heading home.I am open to the safe areas of Central America or South America, but not particularly wanting to" go to the tip"I am not at all interested in being a part of a large group-I'm not anti-social at all, just don't want to deal with the issues of too many people to make happy on the road. My wife and I have been to Mexico/Europe(USA lots!) a # of times but always traveled via car. Let me know if you are interested.I am a retired type ,so not wanting a whirlwind tour, but a relaxed trip that is more than a couple of weeks long. If you are young and still working , thats great, but I want to go for more than a , say, 12 day trip, for example.
See my post @ BMWMOA "Ride Reports" for more about me and trip idea. I think it is good to establish some compatibility before agreeing to travel together. Lets hear from some riders that really want to go???
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I would love to go, but I don't think that I can do it this year. 2 problems.

1. In my purchase agreement with BMW, I am not supposed to take the bike to Mexico.
2. Not enough vacation time from work.

It sounds like it is going to be a great trip, with the right amount of planning(little).

Have fun.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

you can't take your bike to me-hi-co biff? why the fudge not?
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

if you financed through bmw, then look at your paperwork. back of long pink page section 15..b.3

Canada is OK for less than 30 days, but no me-hi-co.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
kantuckid
Basic User

Post by kantuckid »

I am now looking @ the idea of doing a language school in a village 1.5 hrs S of Mexico City @ Tepoztlan or another in Zacatecas. Would go down one way and back another with lots of weekenders and so forth in between. Like the idea of staying with a local family too. Costs are low and you get to be in an area that is desirable as well. Still no ride partners @ this point...