L'Beakster Bash May 2008-You Missed it Punk!

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

STDocLizard1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: L'Beakster Bash May 2008-ROOMS FULL!--OVERFLOW AVAILABLE!!!

Post by STDocLizard1 »

CycleRob wrote:Steve is suffering more than you know. #-o He should be all better by the Fall Ozark Bash. =D>

Here's the Weather for the PABash Scroll down when you get there for the weekend forecast. I have my fingers crossed. :shock:

For you non-attendees, there will be an information blackout because there's no Wi-Fi or Net access and weak cellular service at our hotel. I'm not even bringing my notebook PC. The portable apps on my FlashDrive have FireFox browser & ThunderBird E-Mail on it so any computer it's plugged into becomes "mine", with all my digital links. Be patient, this situation will work itself out. The 29 fortunate people attending the Bash will see it all in real life. 8) =D>

See ya'all there !! 8) =D>
That weather report looks great for the Endless Mountains. No snow!

Like I said, the Central Park Hotel is a remote outpost in the boonies. If you leave your windows open at night, you can hear the banjos in the distance.

Jim
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

If you leave your windows open at night, you can hear the banjos in the distance.
Ride faster, I hear banjo music! :lol:

Hey, we in Appalachia consider PA yankee country!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

wncbmw wrote:
If you leave your windows open at night, you can hear the banjos in the distance.
Ride faster, I hear banjo music! :lol:

Hey, we in Appalachia consider PA yankee country!
Well then, you mountain folk are gonna feel down right at home sep ya won't be a drinkin' moonshine out of an old fruit jar. :lol:

Pack your woolin's; it might be a wee bit cool above the Mason-Dixon Line.

Ride safe; see ya Thursday Vann.

Jim
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Looking forward to it Jim! Cool I can handle. I just don't want any snow rides like last year! :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
MattPie
Lifer

Post by MattPie »

i haven't been paying attention to the bash this year. Damn work...

Anyways, I don't live too far away. Any have a schedule on when rides are happening on Saturday? I'll just ride up in the morning (I'm only 2 hours away).
Go Sabres!
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Show up for breakfast, and you should be OK...

(Hey! When's breakfast?)
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

NoRRmad wrote:Show up for breakfast, and you should be OK...

(Hey! When's breakfast?)
The breakfast poll casted 7:30 and 8:00 as the two most popular times. I figure the spread should run for about an hour and a half total. I can't see too many shoving off prior 9:00 am unless your going out west for the big 309 miler "Keyhole Loop." I would expect that most attendees would divide up into small groups which is really governed by the velocity (speed and direction) of the participants. So get up and get out early unless you want to run with us "old dogs" or sit on the porch sippin whiskey and howlin' at them thar mountain honeys all day.

Jim
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Re: L'Beakster Bash May 2008

Post by DSKYZD »

Bumping some good info:
STDocLizard1 wrote:Approach Routes:

This may be a feeble attempt to “herd cats”, but I will do my best. Many of us will simply plug the address for the Central Park Hotel into our GPS units, Google the route, or pull out the old paper map and plot a course to get to Bash Headquarters. Most of the time it will give you most direct route especially if you are strapped for time and/or coming from a distance away. If I may make a suggestion, the easiest way to get to the CPH is by plotting a course to exit 256 off Interstate 80 and taking Pa 93 Northwest for about 3.8 miles.

Right turn onto Pa 239 (this is a 24 mile leg).

Follow Pa 239 crossing the Susquehanna River into Shickshinny.

Continue on Pa 239 to Benton. REFUEL IN BENTON

Make a right onto Pa 487 and head North for about 3.6 miles

At Coles Creek, turn left onto County Route 4049. Ride 3.1 miles

At the stop sign, cross straight over Pa 118 onto Central Road

The FISHING CREEK LODGE is 1.4 miles up on the left.

The CENTRAL PARK HOTEL is about .4 miles further up on your right at the corner.

The above route will work well if you are coming from the East on Interstate 80 or from the North or South on Interstate 81(Interstate 81 is just 3.7 miles east of Exit 256, I80). It will also give you a chance to savor the local area directly off of the interstate highway system and keep you out of the congested hubs of some of the cities.

If you are coming from the West, I would slide in on Interstate 80 and take Exit 215 and head East on Pa 254 for 16.1 miles.

Make a left onto Pa 42 @ Millville.

Continue North on Pa 42 for 9.5 miles.

Then make a right onto Pa 118 @ Biggertown. REFUEL HERE

Take Pa 118 East for 7.9 miles and turn left onto County Route 4049. (Central Road)

Follow Central Road to the Lodge (1.4 miles) or Hotel (.4 miles beyond).

Jim
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

STDocLizard1 wrote:
[...snip...]

For the GPS types:

Central Park Hotel @ 976 Central Road
41 degrees, 17', 49.65" N
76 degrees, 22', 22.91" W

Fishing Creek Lodge @ 889 Central Road
41 degrees, 17', 28.49" N
76 degrees, 22', 17.13" W

as per Google Earth. Courtesy of Marty.

Jim
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
MattPie
Lifer

Post by MattPie »

STDocLizard1 wrote: The breakfast poll casted 7:30 and 8:00 as the two most popular times. I figure the spread should run for about an hour and a half total. I can't see too many shoving off prior 9:00 am unless your going out west for the big 309 miler "Keyhole Loop." I would expect that most attendees would divide up into small groups which is really governed by the velocity (speed and direction) of the participants. So get up and get out early unless you want to run with us "old dogs" or sit on the porch sippin whiskey and howlin' at them thar mountain honeys all day.
I did a little Google Mapping today and found that it's not as close (time-wise) as I thought. The boring highway route is 3 hours/160 miles, and the better back-road route is 130 miles but listed at 3 hr 40 minutes. I'd be leaving pretty early to make even 9AM. I assume breakfast is at the Central Park Hotel, right?

No worries though, and definitely don't wait on me. :)
Go Sabres!
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

Anyone headed to the Bash from the Philly area or other points south on Friday morning? I can't leave Thursday night and so am headed up Friday.

If anyone is interested in getting together for the ride up, PM me. There are a number of decent back roads routes available, which I'd prefer over slabbing it but am open to suggestions.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

MattPie wrote:
STDocLizard1 wrote: The breakfast poll casted 7:30 and 8:00 as the two most popular times. I figure the spread should run for about an hour and a half total. I can't see too many shoving off prior 9:00 am unless your going out west for the big 309 miler "Keyhole Loop." I would expect that most attendees would divide up into small groups which is really governed by the velocity (speed and direction) of the participants. So get up and get out early unless you want to run with us "old dogs" or sit on the porch sippin whiskey and howlin' at them thar mountain honeys all day.
I did a little Google Mapping today and found that it's not as close (time-wise) as I thought. The boring highway route is 3 hours/160 miles, and the better back-road route is 130 miles but listed at 3 hr 40 minutes. I'd be leaving pretty early to make even 9AM. I assume breakfast is at the Central Park Hotel, right?

Affirmative. Breakfast will be served at the Central Park Hotel on Friday and Saturday morning @ 7:45 am. We are on our own Sunday morning. I would ride hard unless you're willing to lose a day of riding with the crew. Boring = Fast. Ride safe.

Jim
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

MattPie wrote:

If you can't average higher than 55 mph, then you need to sell your bike. :p
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

No worries Matt.

I may not make until late morning either and so also miss riding with the "crew". We can gather up the stragglers and hit the back roads to Shamokin. From there,a spirited romp down the recently re-paved Rte 125 through the mountains would be in order. On the ride back, we can meander toward Bloomsburg and hit Bill's Bike Barn http://www.billsbikebarn.com/index.cfm? ... tage_bikes

We'll make our own crew.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Thanks for the info bump Brian.

Jim
STDocLizard1
Lifer

Post by STDocLizard1 »

Extended Forecast for Benton, Pa . 17814

Thursday
Partly Cloudy
68° F | 47° F
20° C | 8° C

Friday 70% chance of light showers
Rain Showers
54° F | 41° F
12° C | 5° C

Saturday 40% chance of light showers
Chance of Rain
61° F | 43° F
16° C | 6° C

Sunday 40% chance of light showers
Chance of Rain
58° F | 41° F
14° C | 5° C

As you may be aware, the terrain may play a role in the precipitation potential as well as the emerging weather patterns, temperature gradients, etc. I have seen the worst case scenario turn out to be quite nice with "light showers" only being pockets of precipitation that you can easily ride through and still enjoy the day. Notice the temperatures and dress accordingly.

I'll see most of you tomorrow night.

Ride safe,

Jim
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

fahhk the rain!

if it rains hard, there's always the bar! :twisted:

sheeeet, when i was a wee harley kid, the destination was what is was all about. maybe a leisurely ride up and down the camping rows, but nothing too far as you always had a 40oz. beer in one hand! :mrgreen:
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Mitchell
Lifer
Donating Member #: 463

Post by Mitchell »

I am packing my magic gloves from the Marietta Bash to try to ward off the rain.

MItchell
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

I also have my Magic Gloves!

I am at the moment searching for gear that I am sure I put *there* but is no longer there. Being married is often wonderful, but my wife loves to move things to places which make more sense to her.... still not realizing that as a man, I can only keep track of where I leave something and not where it should actually go :)

I plan to leave Fredericksburg after the morning rush and will likely slab it all the way up to Rt 15 iin Maryland. With any luck at all I should arrive in Benton around 6PM tonight. I am firm believer in more frequent stops to stretch and take care of fluid intake and ... well outflow.

See you guys there this evening.

Rich
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

I'll be leaving around 2:00 this afternoon, following DSKYZD's directions off of I-80. See yez then.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.