Second Annual Mississippi Mud Run

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

marousek
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Second Annual Mississippi Mud Run

Post by marousek »

Greetings fellows, friends, strangers and ... well....the rest of you.

The second annual Mississippi Mud Run is upon us and this year it shall happen 6-8 of June.

The plan, as some of you already know, is to meet at Quaker Steak & Lube in Madison, WI at noon on Friday the 6th and from there leave the comfort (riiiight) of superslab and head north-west enjoying some great back roads all the way to Trempealeau, WI. We will settle for the night at the Trempealeau Hotel (http://www.trempealeauhotel.com/) It is am beautiful little town and the river views and supply of food and beverage are glorious. We shall ride North and enjoy the banks and bluffs of the Mississippi and some amazing back roads we discovered last year.....and are bound to discover more. We return to Trempealeau, relax etc. etc. And head South along the Mississippi and eventually home late on Sunday.

Few experiences and observations from last year:

- If you must carry beer in your bags, you may wish to ensure the bottles are well sealed
- If you like the wind in your hair thing, keep a can around for at least when the rain hits
- Make sure that a fellow rider sees your bike parked at an intersection and not drive by.....you may be chasing him or her up the road at 100mph
- Walnut burger.....is actually delicious!
- Scenic lookouts ARE worth stopping at!
- If you wish not to share a bathroom, you shall pay extra
- Good batteries will save you from lights left on
- You can make it from Milwaukee to Madison in 30 minutes on Friday morning :-)
- Burnouts at gas stations.....so juvenile.....

And most importantly!

- To balance your soul, have a time of your life and find even more love for riding, you require a few strangers, some fuel, someone to spot you a little bit of oil and the most obscure destination. You may just end up with a bunch of friends and a few days you will want to re-live and build on over and over again.

Anyway.....drop me a note if you are wishing to join up and call Trempealeau Hotel and reserve a room NOW!
Ves
Basic User

Re: Second Annual Mississippi Mud Run

Post by Ves »

That's Quaker Steak & Lube in Middleton WI... just outside of Madison. This year I absolutely have to take pictures of the motorcycles hanging from the ceilings in that joint.
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
Gevers
Basic User

Post by Gevers »

I live north of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. If it is amenable to you I may take a scenic ride from the cities on Friday and meet up with you at Trempealeau Friday, stay over, ride with you Saturday, stay over, and ride back home on Sunday. I am assuming that this is a pretty informal, small group. How many people showed up last year and what kind of numbers are you expecting this year? I still need to check my calendar for the dates as well. But it sounds like an interesting trip.

For future years, there is some supposedly great scenic riding areas in the southwest part of Minnesota, around Lanesborough. I plan to go through there if I come to Trempealeau.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Oh yes, I hear ya. I'm working on it.

Any deadlines for reservations?
Our eight cozy upstairs rooms, most with a river view, are European-style (shared bath) and modestly priced. With no in-room television or telephone, the rooms offer a step back in time, a lodging experience just like at the beginning of the 20th century.

$40-$49 per night.
Except for the river view, it sounds like my place. With some stinky clothes on the floor, it should feel like home.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Here's the link to last years http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=10391

and yes you have to get your reservations in Now... the place gets pretty popular with outsiders and locals...
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Jiri,

PM sent.
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Less than a month before event...
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Boy did I have a blast last year. :biggrin: Best riding ever until the AR bash. :biggrin: :biggrin: I need a miracle to go to this one as I have not even started rehab yet. :evil:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

So who all is in? Only a week and a half to go.

Mark and Vickie (mad1150)????

Jiri, how's the wheel situation?
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Far as I know there's four including myself...

Jiri? Where are you man?
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

I'm going to answer for Jiri cause I think he forgot he started this thread... Oh... to be young and carefree again...
Jiri's wheel is all good...
The trip is on, still not sure how many are coming, but looks like four to six people... This Friday... Middleton WI, Steak and Lube... High noon... I'm sure I'll be there by noon... maybe a bit earlier... I'm going to sit out on the deck and get some sun like last year...

hmmmmmm... weather report says scattered thunderstorms all weekend.... OK, well, bring your webbed feet...
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

The forecast is bumming me out. This forecast below is for Trempeleau. Not the way I would like to spend my first several day motorcycle ride in 3.5 years.
Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58.

Saturday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 80.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60.

Sunday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 80.

Sunday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63.
I was also planning on camping with Amy for a couple days before heading up on Friday. The camping is postponed due to weather. :-X This weather pattern has got to end sometime...doesn't it?