2nd West Coast Bash - sometime 2009?

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

2nd West Coast Bash - sometime 2009?

Post by sweatmark »

Who's interested in a 2nd-Ever West Coast Roadster Bash?

It's been a few years since the first & only such bash in Utah, organized by alumnus Dean, with good attendance by many no-longer-members.

If there's sufficient interest from folks in here in the west, then I propose finding a suitable long weekend during the summer to meet in Northern California to sample some great roads and scenery. I've posted/linked over in Great Rides about my favorite little NorCal weekend loop, and recommend those epic roads for those in SoCal and Puget Sound... it's worth the long-haul slabbing to get there.

So who's in?
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Re: 2nd West Coast Bash - sometime 2009?

Post by GypsyRR »

I always intend to be "in", but it's hard for me to plan that far in advance. I'm interested though.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Gypsy - I'll confer with Mrs. Sweatmark about the family 2009 schedule and put down some schedule options. Your participation might prompt my better half to join the ride next year; she was admittedly not all that interested in riding her Roadster this past season.
tobes
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by tobes »

I'm interested. Was just up there this summer - great roads.
Mike
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

A west-coast "Bash 2" might be kinda cool, I think...
It's been a few years since the first & only such bash in Utah, organized by alumnus Dean, with good attendance by many no-longer-members.
Uh, yeah, and some of us are still around! I liked the route(s) shown on the Buell site, there's some really nice ridin' there. There's also some terrific roads in eastern WA and OR, for those coming from that direction. It would be pretty cool if there were a way to include the "Lost Coast" (Mattole Road), as well...

I stayed at a place in Grants Pass last May or June that would be custom-made for a bash, the "Motel Del Rogue". It's on the Rogue River and a very motorcycle-friendly place, just a couple of miles from town on the Rogue River Hwy (99).

I only cruise through this forum on an irregular basis these days, but I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
jaxter
Basic User

Post by jaxter »

I'm interested, along with at least a couple more from eastern WA ...
2004 R1150R - Silver
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Glad to see some interest in another West Coast Bash. I'll start abbreviating as "WCB2".

The difficulty is always in the details, and scheduling seems the most problematic. If you have any strong opinions/suggestions regarding possible WCB2 dates then throw 'em out there.

Grants Pass would be a good meeting spot for Pacific Northwest folks. Red Bluff might be more appropriate for SoCal riders who's have a long haul (520 miles from LAX) to NorCal. Both cities are jump-off point for great rides at all points of the compass.
Ukemi
Basic User

Post by Ukemi »

I for one would be interested in a west coast bash. Even if I was unable to attend the entire bash, I would for sure meet up with the route and ride along for a short while.
Wile-E-Coyote
Basic User

Post by Wile-E-Coyote »

I am most definately interested! Just give me a little
advance notice and I can adjust my schedule to fit.

Grant's Pass sounds great, but anywhere in the West
would be just fine.

I have been visiting this site on and off for a few years,
and it would be interesting to actually meet some of you
riders in person rather than just reading about you in the
brief posts I have seen here.

Wile-E-Coyote
2004 R1150R (the really pretty blue one with the
Rockster copy cat paint scheme)
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

IN!
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

Now's about the time each winter I get a slight twitch in my shifter foot... seeing the daylight stretch slowly each day towards Spring weather and un-snowy riding season. Here's something to get your moto-juices flowing: between these two signs is a day of riding bliss.

Time for all interested parties to ante up with preferred West Coast Bash dates.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

I no longer own an R, but still visit this board frequently. Would love to ride those roads and (finally) meet some of you fine folks in person!

Can I participate if I ride a mundane R1100S? :D

Cheers!
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Why not dean's place?
motorcyclist cafe .com
I think there was a split between the websites here and there at one time. It will not post here...... [-X
Last edited by OU812 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

ou812-

Haven't peeked into the Cafe for a while. Your link doesn't work, but I'm guessing there's a Show Low gathering sometime this year?

As much as I like the Southwest for scenic vistas, there's a better road selection up and down the coast.
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

NAIAD wrote:I no longer own an R, but still visit this board frequently. Would love to ride those roads and (finally) meet some of you fine folks in person!

Cheers!
How about someplace in Oregon ? You and I could meet up and ride down there. Maybe there would be others from the Puget Sound area who would bite.
Oregon would allow the California guys to come... at least the Norcal guys. I understand there's some really great riding roads in the mountains over in Eastern Oregon. You really need about 5 of these Bashes so people don't have to ride 1000 miles to get to the meeting place.
Time is not an issue for a man of leisure like yourself. but it is for clock punchers like the rest of us. I have limited vacation time.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer

Post by sweatmark »

An easy solution for Pacific Northwest riders is the annual Chief Joseph rally in John Day, OR, June 18-20:

http://www.bmwro.org/cj2009.html

As mentioned above, the roads in eastern Oregon are pretty good (though not NorCal quality), and the rally serves as a logical meeting spot and venue for the BMW-minded. Maybe that's the best way to get Washington/Oregon/Idaho R1150R riders together.

Nonetheless, I'm planning on making two NorCal weekend trips this year, dates not yet determined. One trip will be BMW-ish, and another will be with members of our Portland Buell Riders group (which means scratching knee pucks). The three-day trip plan (based on my start/end location) is the preferred option; riding down from Puget Sound area adds another 8 hours total riding time.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Airman wrote:
NAIAD wrote:I no longer own an R, but still visit this board frequently. Would love to ride those roads and (finally) meet some of you fine folks in person!

Cheers!
How about someplace in Oregon ? You and I could meet up and ride down there. Maybe there would be others from the Puget Sound area who would bite.
Oregon would allow the California guys to come... at least the Norcal guys. I understand there's some really great riding roads in the mountains over in Eastern Oregon. You really need about 5 of these Bashes so people don't have to ride 1000 miles to get to the meeting place.
Time is not an issue for a man of leisure like yourself. but it is for clock punchers like the rest of us. I have limited vacation time.

I'd love to ride some of the roads Sweatmark has been referring to in this thread, in fact last fall I'd planned to do some of those on my own, but a few major forest fires and mild personal injury sort of interfered. I've also considered the Chief Joseph rally as I've never attended that sort of event. Unfortunately that particular event is scheduled for exactly the time period when we'll be on Maui and the Big Island. Darn! Mid-July is family reunion in Fort Dodge, Iowa. May is shot too!!! Where's all that "free" time in retirement??

Okay, now that I blew that steam off...I'm thinking of August doing a overnighter, possible around the back side of the St. Helen's to Hood River, then either wandering down farther thru the Cascades, or just up river with a jaunt back thru Yakima. Perhaps Wenatchee/Leavenworth or White Pass (or Chinook?) to return to Puget Sound. But I've also been interested in riding some of those eastern Oregon places like Pendleton, John Day, etc...

My big plan for this summer had been a trip to Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, et al...but family obligations sort of derailed that plan...

So, any interest in hooking up for an August PNW West Coast Bash? The guy who purchased Quicksilver from me lives on Bainbridge, he's expressed a bit of interest in a longer ride. Though to be honest he's still sort of a newby... :doubt:

The other thing I've considered doing on my own is probably more a 3 or 4 (5?) day thing, sort of a Four Corners Ride of Washington....Seabeck to Neah Bay, Ilwaco, Asotin, and Metaline Falls, then home via North Cascades highway...

Lot of "plans" eh?

Cheers! Bill J
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

I'd love to ride some of the roads Sweatmark has been referring to in this thread, in fact last fall I'd planned to do some of those on my own, but a few major forest fires and mild personal injury sort of interfered. I've also considered the Chief Joseph rally as I've never attended that sort of event. Unfortunately that particular event is scheduled for exactly the time period when we'll be on Maui and the Big Island. Darn! Mid-July is family reunion in Fort Dodge, Iowa. May is shot too!!! Where's all that "free" time in retirement??

Okay, now that I blew that steam off...I'm thinking of August doing a overnighter, possible around the back side of the St. Helen's to Hood River, then either wandering down farther thru the Cascades, or just up river with a jaunt back thru Yakima. Perhaps Wenatchee/Leavenworth or White Pass (or Chinook?) to return to Puget Sound. But I've also been interested in riding some of those eastern Oregon places like Pendleton, John Day, etc...

My big plan for this summer had been a trip to Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, et al...but family obligations sort of derailed that plan...

So, any interest in hooking up for an August PNW West Coast Bash? The guy who purchased Quicksilver from me lives on Bainbridge, he's expressed a bit of interest in a longer ride. Though to be honest he's still sort of a newby... :doubt:

The other thing I've considered doing on my own is probably more a 3 or 4 (5?) day thing, sort of a Four Corners Ride of Washington....Seabeck to Neah Bay, Ilwaco, Asotin, and Metaline Falls, then home via North Cascades highway...

Lot of "plans" eh?

Cheers! Bill J
Come on Bill, you need to set some priorities. Cancel the trip to Maui and the family reunion and and you'll have the room you need on the calender for some rides.

At this point I'm considering the Washington MOA rally in Republic. Take hwy 2 over to 97 then up to Chelan and accross. Then maybe do 20 on the way back. I might be up for something in August. The ride on 410 over Chinook to Yakima is good and I think hwy 12 around the south end of Rainer might be good as well. At least it looks interesting on the map. If you wanted to make a loop south you could take 7 out of Tacoma and then runs into 12 West of Mt Rainier. Then you could either take the road up into the park and hit 410 at Chinook, or take 12 down into Yakima and then back west on 410. Yakima is 132 miles from my place so it's an easy day trip if your new rider wanted try it out.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Sheesh, guess I need to pay more attention, didn't even know there was something going on in Republic! Guess I better pull my head out and look around... :o I've been thinking of that north route through the State, Cindy's dad was born in Republic and I've never been there. Got the "Destination Highways-Washington" book for Christmas and I've been studying up... Guess I need to now go look at the MOA site about the Republic event!

When we lived on the East Hill I did a lot of rides around Rainier and environs, including the passes over to Yakima on frequent occasions. I sort of prefer 706 through the Park, and particularly that little section of 7 between Alder and the Eatonville Junction. And of course one of the distince advantages of early retirement is I can ride these roads on weekdays while the rest of youse guys are slaving away. (Sorry!)

North Cascades is probably my fave in this state, at least so far! Took my old (and I mean very old) Nevada high school buddies on a ride there and they were sort of blown away. I like it especially for the lack of traffic....but almost got blown off the road by a bunch of Canuck's on their sport bikes the last time I went that way. They were hauling so fast I wasn't even tempted to hang with 'em. Guess I must be getting old...or at least...wise!

Let me know if some August dates might work out. I'm wide open that month...I'd really like to do the back side of St. Helen's, headed that way last summer but ran into some last minute emergency road closures and had to abort that ride. Also, once it warms up a bit (soon I hope!) I'd be up for some last minute impromptu rides. You've got my email address, so just give me a shout if ya wanna ride out!

Take Care! BIll J