Northern VA rides

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

alaskaflyer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Northern VA rides

Post by alaskaflyer »

I'm in the southeastern part of VA and am going to meet up with a buddy from the DC area, was wondering if anyone knows of any good rides up in that area, looking to do about a 2 to 3 day total trip on some nice twisty backroads.

Thanks in advance

Gary
2008 BMW R1200R
***RIP Crew of Coast Guard 6505***
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Re: Northern VA rides

Post by R4R&R »

There are only pieces of good roads in the Northern VA area, with lots of traffic in between. You need to go west. From Northern Va, head west on I-66 to I-81 south. The second exit, US-55 west gets real good. But stay on the 'old' 55, avoid the new US-55. There are some other roads in western Maryland too, but honestly, West Virginia is hard to beat for number of roads, overall road quality, road 'fun' factor, and scenery.

There are other decent roads in the area, but nothing real twisty.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: Northern VA rides

Post by MikeCam »

Limited distance roads:

Between US 50 and VA 7 - Snickersville Turnpike (CR 734) and Blue Ridge Mountain Road (CR 601). Also, St Louis Road (CR 611), Atoka Road (CR 713)(across US 50), Leeds Manor Road (CR 688) (across VA 55), Crest Hill Road (CR 647) (back to US 50). All of these in the vicinity of Middleburg, Markham, and Marshall, Virginia. 40 miles west of DC along I-66. You'll need a good topo map such as Delorme', as 600/700 series roads do not always make the state road maps.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.