MOA Rally?

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

touchton
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: MOA Rally?

Post by touchton »

Those that want can PM me their cell #'s for a hook up at the Rally.
Uh. I don't think so.....

bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

:lol: =D>
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

You see his avatar, don't you?!? :shock:
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

touchton wrote:
Those that want can PM me their cell #'s for a hook up at the Rally.
Uh. I don't think so.....

Very funny! =D> :lol:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Post by jfslater98 »

Alright, I got my tent assignment. That's when I realized: "hey, maybe I ought to register for the rally itself". Argh, it's closed, now I have to register at the rally. And I've made no plans on how to get down there. I am leaving on Wed. like Challey. But I'm not volunteering, so not sure that I will be able to get into the campsite.

Is my best bet to find a hotel a few miles away?
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

jfslater98 wrote: Is my best bet to find a hotel a few miles away?
Stay at Hungry Mother or in Marion, VA. Then you can take an amazing ride down to the Rally on Thursday. It is about 60 miles from the Rally. Look at VA 16 to US 58 to RT 91 to US 421. =D>
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

OK, so I'm a Rally noob.

I'm planning to arrive at the Rally Thursday or Friday, depending on when I can "get away". I am NOT planning to camp with the sherpas in Little Havanna (I have my own camping gear, etc.). Do I need to worry about getting a "campsite" at the Rally? Will all the choice spots be taken? (Choice spots: I don't really see how a fairground would have "choice" versus "not so choice" spots; I'm expecting flat, shade-less camping options. But, do I need to worry about finding ANY spot to pitch my 2-man?)

I have to admit that camping at a place such as Hungry Motha has appeal (shade, quiet, camaraderie) and would not mind the "60 mile" commute. OTOH, I don't want to miss out on the "experience" of being in the thick-of-things at the Rally.

So, who's camping at HM, yet attending the rally? I'm going online next to see if I can reserve a site, do I need to? I don't mind crowds for brief periods, but I do not seek out the continued experience. Curious minds want to know????????

This Grasshopper welcomes your kind input.

-dd
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

DD, the rally fee is the same weather you camp or not. Just camp at the rally. There will always be room for you man. ;)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I have been waiting to see how things work out for me but it looks like I will be making the grueling hour and 15 minute ride over the mountain to the rally, probably on Thursday evening after work. I think a meeting place and time for board members is a great idea and the beer tent is a great choice. Just not at 6 AM! :lol:

Look forward perhaps to meeting some of the board friends in person that I have not met before. I will be camping somewhere there.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Take a look at this map. It would behoove you to try and locate a spot in that corner I have marked in green. The "S" marks the shower location. That way you can easily just waltz over late in the evening or early in the morning for a fresh 'spritz'.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Now that's what I call using your kidneys!
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

It looks like things will work out and I will leave home Thursday evening, and camp in my brothers extra bedroom after Beer Club on Thursday night. Then I take US 40 to US 23 and I will be at the gates Friday afternoon.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

Well it looks like I can make the rally this year. Just got my schedule cleared to go. Will be leaving home Thursday evening and getting to the rally Friday late afternoon. the bike has been running fine since the Bash in PA and my loose mototronic ground issue. My son is joining me but he rides another make of bike, but I have forgiven him. I will be passing Hungry Mother on the way to the Rally since I know it is such a great ride and to show him what happens when the road survey crew spends their time drunk on moonshine and chasing the local women. I will try to camp near the circled spot. Where are you meeting up Friday night? The beer garden? Van, are you going to blindfold us and take us to some of your secret roads?

Tom
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I wish I were going. I'm leaving Thursday morning, but for Florida. :roll:
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Tom (and everyone else) - my plans may be altering somewhat. Might make only a brief appearance at the rally. However, I will be in the neighborhood and have an interest in meeting up with some of the board members at the rally. Check your PMs! I might be calling those members who gave me there numbers also, if you are interested!

And yes, I will be perfectly willing to show you some of the 'secret' roads! No blindfolds required! (too messy to clean up after the first curve! :lol: )
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

PM'd you. You might not require blindfolds, but it wouldn't surprise me if o had one of those mind erasers from Men In Black.

Tom
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

wncbmw wrote:Tom (and everyone else) - my plans may be altering somewhat. Might make only a brief appearance at the rally. However, I will be in the neighborhood and have an interest in meeting up with some of the board members at the rally. Check your PMs! I might be calling those members who gave me there numbers also, if you are interested!

And yes, I will be perfectly willing to show you some of the 'secret' roads! No blindfolds required! (too messy to clean up after the first curve! :lol: )
I met Vann "The Man" in person yesterday!

You guys gotta hammer him with PM's on coming to the Rally. He's a hop away.

In Asheville one more day, off to TN tomorrow.

Hwy 26 is the most beautiful piece of slab I ever rode on.....
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
bobw
Basic User

Post by bobw »

The roads in this area are terrible and there is no scenery to enjoy. There are NO secret roads (well, maybe a few). :^o

jerrygriffies
Basic User

Post by jerrygriffies »

You guys have some fun. I did a "drive-by" on Wednesday night on my Saddle Sore route. Butt numbed out about 1/2 way through.
Biff's R
Double Lifer

Post by Biff's R »

Sorry guys. The farthest South I made it was the Appletree in Marion, VA. Didn't feel like dealing with a big crowd this weekend. Barely survived Beer Club.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R