Denver/Durango Rental Locations for next year

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

scottybooj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Denver/Durango Rental Locations for next year

Post by scottybooj »

Hey guys, providing my spine is healed, I want to visit a friend with a few of my buds out in Colorado. He lives in durango, so we were deciding between flying into denver and renting there or flying into durango and renting there.

We plan on doing the durango-silverton loop. Probably will rent harleys considering LEO's extensive presence prohibiting spirited riding.

Any suggestions for rental companies? I saw Eagle Rider in Denver, which seemed cheapest.

Thanks!
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Denver/Durango Rental Locations for next year

Post by Boxer »

Scott,
I see you have not received any help on this. I can only assume nobody knows anything about rentals in that area.

Do this: Call information and get the number for Billy Goat's Gruff in Ouray, Colorado. Dial it and ask for Steve Albritton. He's my nephew. Steve may sound irritated that you have called him out of the blue, but explain that I am your friend and suggested that you call him. Steve is a biker and he worked for about 10 years as a Colorado Highway Patrol motor officer in that area, riding a Road King for his work bike and sport bikes in the canyons. If anyone would know where to rent a bike in southwest Colorado, he will. If he puts you off or hangs up on you, let me know, my brother (his Dad) and I will go kick his a$$.

Good luck.

*Make sure you pronounce the name correctly. Its pronounced All-Briton!...Not Arbitron, or Ale-Britton.
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

Hey Scottybooj;

MLW & I rented a GS from a guy in Denver last July; Tourbikes.com I think. We had a blast, the day I chased the Ducati from Ouray to Silverton to Durango to Telluride was a blast. The road from Ouray to Silverton was sweet, major pucker/adrenaline/heart race when I hit some damp fresh road paint; going off the road there is a no return ticket but I guess that's what makes it so fun.

If you go to Durango I have a buddy from Shanghai that goes there for the summer; would be a great resource for local info.

The bike was kind of expensive, but the guy renting them was very low key and easy to deal with (very flexible pickup/drop off hours), way better than the molasses slow HD's we were riding with. I think the guys name was Bill Smith. Would rent from him again.

Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

We plan on doing the durango-silverton loop. Probably will rent harleys considering LEO's extensive presence prohibiting spirited riding.

Depends; ran into a very nice LEO south of Estes; he was in an unmarked 4-door pickup and commented on how cool the GS & my yellow (grungy yellow) Darien jacket was. Since he was so nice I said "Not that I should be asking a Law Enforcement Officer, but as long as you're standing here, what's the speed limit between here & Estes?" He paused for a second, smiled and said "Posted limit is between 35 & 55 depending on if you're in a town or not, .......... but I'm not a ticket writing kind of guy,...... and neither are most of the guys I know." I even got a pic of him writing me a fake ticket with the promise that I would never post it on the internet; will show you when we see you guys at the 2011 Bash. The last thing he said before we left was "Speed safely".

Broke the Ton several times on that trip, even for several minutes at a time, no headaches from anyone.

DLS
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Having done the Silverton to Ouray road this summer with my son at the wheel of his Subaru and the wife in back, I can honestly say I must have said 100 times (mostly under my breath) "I wish I had one of the bikes!". Both the paved and gravel roads beckoned for either the Roadster or DR650.

BUT - considering the amount of air time involved between running off the road and contact with the ground on this section of road, I would think that a sense of self-preservation would be more of an incentive to behave than fear of a ticket! The scenery is spectacular but target fixation has a high price!

We were held up for 2 hours just outside of Silverton waiting for the remains of a car to be brought up from at least 200' down below! Those wrecks never have happy endings. :(
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Scottybooj - Did you ever find a place to rent bikes from out there?
Rich
ADIOS!