Roll Call for Pilgrims Going to Alaska This Summer

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rider Rick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 934

Roll Call for Pilgrims Going to Alaska This Summer

Post by Rider Rick »

OK, I've seen some references to planned trips to AK, so I wanted to see who was going, and just how crowded it could get up there this summer :). I don't have druthers in your posting, so I will just start with my own plans.

Three of us will be leaving OKC on June 18 and hope get to Fairbanks a few days later :). We will probably go up the Wyoming/Montana/Calgary route, but it is still a bit fluid. There was some talk of going straight north through the Dakotas, but I'd rather eat a worm than go that way. Also, I am trying to see what the road is like from further west in the US, for example Spokane and Idaho. The road looks lke it passes through more mountainous terrain, still trying to sniff out that route. We don't plan on camping, so strenuous work on reservations will be forthcoming shortly!

Anyway, once we hit Fairbanks we will put on new tires, get some servicing down, then try to do the Haul road to the Arctic Circle sign, not sure about lodging on that leg.

After that couple of days, we will shoot down to Whittier where we will grab the Ferry to Bellingham, hopefully 3-4 days of recuperating from the ride :). From there it gets a little vague, some of us may split off and go through Nevada (Rachel, Area51, see a few old girlfriends), then maybe hit a few places not seen before. Hopefully will hit OKC the weekend of the 8th of July.

To put a little variation in the saying, trip plans only survive intact until the first contact with the trip :)...so we'll see.
2004 Red R1150R