At Deals Gap

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Toby6938
Lifer

At Deals Gap

Post by Toby6938 »

I'll be at Deal's Gap this Wed,Th&Fri; anyone else? Let me know, black bike with Ky plates.
lynnboyd
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: At Deals Gap

Post by lynnboyd »

Toby,

I won't be there but where in Kentucky are you? I'm just east of Louisville (Crestwood).

Lynn
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
GregM
Basic User

Post by GregM »

2 KY R1200R owners, wow I thought I was the only one. I'll chime in: i'm in Madisonville in Western KY. I did Deals Gap 3 weekends ago, spent the entire weekend in the area, and never saw another R1200R the entire time.

GregM
TinkerToy
Lifer

Post by TinkerToy »

Tinkertoy lives about 24 miles from the Gap and he has a 07 blacck ,white stripes machine ...any one headed this way give me a holler would love to meet,greet,and ride 865 696-4769 any time
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

GregM wrote:2 KY R1200R owners, wow I thought I was the only one. I'll chime in: i'm in Madisonville in Western KY. I did Deals Gap 3 weekends ago, spent the entire weekend in the area, and never saw another R1200R the entire time.
Greg, I know the feeling - I'm surprised there are three of us.
TinkerToy wrote:Tinkertoy lives about 24 miles from the Gap and he has a 07 blacck ,white stripes machine ...any one headed this way give me a holler would love to meet,greet,and ride 865 696-4769 any time
TinkerToy,

I'll keep you in mind. I ride over to Asheville from Louisville once or twice a year and will give you a call next time I'm going by Deal's Gap.

Lynn
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
Toby6938
Lifer

Post by Toby6938 »

Lynn & Greg
I'm in Bardstown, many nice roads around here as I'm sure there is in your areas.Let's try to meet sometime and check out the bikes. A gray '11 was sold at L'ville HD/BMW last wk but I didn't see the guy, who had traded in a CanAm Spyder.

Tiny Toys
Thanks for the info, I'll try to get in touch but would expect you'd be at work when we're there.

Toby
Toby6938
Lifer

Post by Toby6938 »

Adden:
Tinkertoy, please excuse the accidental name change.

Tony
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

How about a day group ride at the Gap Monday or Tuesday Sept 19th or 20th? :-k (weather permitting). It has to be a (Mon--Fri) workday or the car/truck/camper traffic and heavier LEO presence ruins the ride.

AndyRR and I are planning on those 2 days to complete the ride we started until his input shaft splines turned to mush 49 miles out from my house. Andy is riding his new Ducati from Delaware (!!) and will do a stayover or 2 at my house -or- a motel at the Gap. Any workday(s) that week are OK and when Andy is on vacation.

The Dragon, the Skyway and lots of rt 28. FYI, In my advancing age, I will be on my best behavior, among the slowest riders in the group . . . . almost going the speed limits. Really.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

CycleRob wrote: FYI, In my advancing age, I will be on my best behavior, among the slowest riders in the group . . . . almost going the speed limits. Really.
HA! :badgrin:
:^o

Really?
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Un huh
almost going the speed limits. Really.
and what is "almost?" Isn't the speed limit 50?

It doesn't count unless your bike is screaming and people get out of your way :lol:
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
AndyRR
Lifer

Post by AndyRR »

CycleRob wrote: almost going the speed limits. Really.
I'll believe it when I see it.

It looks like I'm leaving MD the morning of Sunday 9/18. That will put me in Gainsville, GA sometime Monday afternoon. So, leaving Gainsville Tuesday morning and ride all day - staying the night somewhere near Deals Gap (like at the Microtel) Tuesday night, ride all we want on Wednesday.

I just need to get back to MD Saturday afternoon, so I'm pretty flexible.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

AndyRR,
Plans are that we can substitute "Rob's House" for the word "Gainesvile" in your above post. We could ride most all the good roads on Tuesday if we stop only for gasoline, waterbreaks and fastfood. It would mean the last half hour from my house on the return trip would be in the dark. BTDT. My guess is because Andy is riding from Delaware, we'll stay at the (excellent) Microtel for an earlier start on Wednesday, giving us almost 2 days riding.

I was telling the truth about slowing down. Yes, it sure is a blast to go crazy on the best M/C roads in the East with 3 or 4 other really good riders, but at 64, I'm not going to ride 98% (55 in a 25 zone on rt28 or 65 in a 35 zone on the SkyWay). Especially on blind curves and where LEO's may be "waiting" for lawbreakers in the many scenic overlooks. At Arby's April 2011 "Tour of The Southern Appalachians" from the "other" BMW board I was riding full of adrenaline in the group that included DeansBMW did just that and much more. :shock: It was one of the most dangerous rides I have ever taken without anyone in our group crashing, going off road or getting arrested. There are old riders and bold riders, but there are no old bold riders.

Maybe we'll dial it back to 88% most of the time. 8-[ :roll: Robbinsville NC, with fastfood/gasoline/motels is about 14 miles from the Dragon and 106 miles and about 2hrs 35min away from my house. So, is anyone else up for meeting somewhere in Deals Gap to join us for a brisk ride Tuesday and Wednesday on Sept 20/21 ? Andy and I's plans are flexible.
`09 F800ST

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Ride canceled.
The 30--40--50% chance of rain thru Thursday did not mesh with his ride from/to the state of Delaware OR wasting vacation time riding slowly on the rain soaked twisties.

I hate rain riding even more than Andy does. I also am only ~2.6hrs away from those roller coaster roads and a spontaneous solo day trip is planned before Halloween.
`09 F800ST

OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

GregM wrote:2 KY R1200R owners, wow I thought I was the only one. I'll chime in: i'm in Madisonville in Western KY. I did Deals Gap 3 weekends ago, spent the entire weekend in the area, and never saw another R1200R the entire time.

GregM
I deer hunt in Webster County. Just can't get all my gear on the bike.:)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F