M/C friendly places to stay in Chattanooga and Dragon area

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

M/C friendly places to stay in Chattanooga and Dragon area

Post by duckdave »

OK, I'm traveling with two other m/c guys (my brother and a guy from Turkey) on a 10-day trip through AR, TN, SC, NC, VA and back to AR. So we are a party of 3 guys, and we are doing the hotel thing (don't ask, but my bro has no room for camping gear on his 1800 cc m/c).

I've never thought about this before, but we are an "awkward traveling group". Trying to keep costs down by sharing a room or suite, but it very difficult to find accommodations for 3 guys, you dig? Everything is couple or family oriented. Two queen beds is not hard to find, but two twins and a fold-out gets expensive.

I don't mind bringing a sleeping bag and sleeping pad and sleeping OTF (hopefully carpet), but will a place that expects a couple to stay in a room with two queen beds tolerate the 3rd adult? Mostly I'd rather sleep on the floor (OTF) than on a fold-out couch.

We are mostly riding and not so much sleeping. So a bed-bug free place is about all we ask.

Anyone with suggestions for how to deal with this (3 guys staying together, cheap), or suggestions of where to stay in
  • Chattanooga
    Deals Gap/Franklin NC
    Columbia/Chapin/Leesville, SC
    Pinehurst NC
    (we got Arlington, Alexandria, Washington DC covered)
    Afton, VA
    Roanoke
    Knoxville areas
let me know. Trip dates are May 13 through 24, respectively.
Didn't think this 3 guy thing was going to be a problem, and won't be if 3 rooms were no problem, but that just seems like a waste of $.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: M/C friendly places to stay in Chattanooga and Dragon ar

Post by sjbmw »

planning a m/c road trip! The GREATEST TASK EVER!!!!

2 queen beds are fine for 3 people. each night, you take turns sharing a bed, and one gets his own.
After 2 days on the road together, the 3 of you will be familiar enough to crawl into a foxhole together.
Motorcycling does that.
If there is "awkwardness" on the first couple of nights, ask the hotel if they have any cots available.
You have not lived until you have overflowed a hotel room, our record was 5 in Wisconsin leaving the MOA rally.
2 in each bed, and one on the floor. The only issue was snoring. (mine in particular)

Most places have cots, ask for a cot AFTER you get your room keys, they are in a closet at every place.

IMHO, If you are riding all day crappy accomodations will take its toll on you.
There is nothing like relaxing in a hotel pool with a brewski after a 10 hour riding day.
(ALWAYS PACK A SWIMSUIT!)

also, Sh|tty hotels have sh|tty clientele.
Remember, your bikes are parked outside with this foot traffic while you are sleeping.

I had a kid who played travel ice hockey for 10 years, and done enough m/c trips, and my favorite places are:

Marriot (most comfortable mattresses)
Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn/Suites (good breakfast included)
Holiday Inn Express (priced less with breakfast)
Extended Stay America (suites have kitchens for cooking)

And the best place over all.................... Embassy Suites. This is what you should look for, they are literally suites, with 3 beds in each one, with a fold out couch.

Bed and Breakfast used to be cheap, but the popularity now has driven those prices up to hotel prices.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Re: M/C friendly places to stay in Chattanooga and Dragon ar

Post by duckdave »

Thanks for the sage advice! We have a Comfort Inn Suite for night 1; a room at the Deals Gap M/C resort for night 2 (couldn't resist experiencing "disneyland", tho we'll prolly regret it; a bunk and a queen under $100); and an AirBNB two bedrooms in a house in Columbia for night 3 (2 queens, planning to bring my airmatress; $65, and the owner is prolly a relative). After that we are winging it except for 3 nights in Alexandria VA with the wives. We should have a pretty good idea after the first three night what we want, as you pointed out.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580