2015 Bash May 15-17, Staunton Virginia

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: 2015 Bash May 15-17, Staunton Virginia

Post by Boxer »

Okay, ordering tee shirts has closed. I got Doug's in there at the last minute! (yes I will ship it). Good thing I checked here one last time.
See you all in a few weeks.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Sorry to learn OU812 won't make it. We usually ride together. I had not planned to attend because very long drives can bring on another DeepVeinThrombosis leg crisis. Stopping every hour for a short walk and H2O is the preventative cure. After surviving really scary 2 wheel slides on each of my last 3 Bashes I attended (over 3 years ago?) I promise to NOT ride with the fast guys!

The HoJo site map gave me these House-2-Motel directions:
Total Est. Distance: 478.1 mi
Total Est. Time: 8hrs 33mins
-------------------------------------------
EDIT: I just booked a room with a single King bed for $59 Thurs, $80 Fri-Sat nites. See the early arriver's Thursday after 6pm. The gold colored `98 Nissan KingCab with the bald-n-bearded driver is me.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Glad to see you are coming Rob. It should be a good Bash. I'll try to remember to take some photos for a slideshow later.

Juvy and I will be stopping in Chilhowie on Thursday night then ride on in to Staunton on Friday.

Wayne, or Brian, or anyone else who knows....Can you give me a nice "Non-Interstate" route to Staunton from Chilhowie? I would like Juvy to see some of the beautiful valley scenery in that area. I can pick roads off the map, but just thought you guys might have some especially pretty places to ride through on the way up. Coming home on Sunday will be more of a slab dash south.
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Hey Rob - I promise if you ride with me - I won't be fast. I'm especially lethargic on unfamiliar roads.
2004 R1150RS
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Boxer wrote:Glad to see you are coming Rob. It should be a good Bash. I'll try to remember to take some photos for a slideshow later.

Juvy and I will be stopping in Chilhowie on Thursday night then ride on in to Staunton on Friday.

Wayne, or Brian, or anyone else who knows....Can you give me a nice "Non-Interstate" route to Staunton from Chilhowie? I would like Juvy to see some of the beautiful valley scenery in that area. I can pick roads off the map, but just thought you guys might have some especially pretty places to ride through on the way up. Coming home on Sunday will be more of a slab dash south.
Phil--
I don't know many of the roads much below Roanoke, Va. My best guess would be Vann or as you mentioned Brian.

This is getting exciting! Looks like possibly the best turnout for a Bash that I've seen. I'm sure looking forward to it!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
captainkirk
Basic User

Post by captainkirk »

Boxer,

You mean Chilhowie, VA? Give me to this weekend. I'll have a suggestion or 3 for you.

If this is so then you could aim for Paint Bank, VA. for the "Paint Bank General Store" along with the "Swinging Bridge Restaurant" which serves some real good barbecue.
It is at the junction of 18, 311 & 600 --- or you can also take the Blue Ridge Parkway North. I always look forward to riding that road.

http://www.paintbankgeneralstore.com/

http://www.theswingingbridge.com/

Bob
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Okay, that Paint Bank idea looks promising. I think out of Chilhowie I'll run up to Marion and take 16 up to 42, then 42 all the way to New Castle and Paint Bank. Should be lunch time by then. From there, 18 up to Covington then find 42 again up to Staunton vicinity. How does that sound?
johnnyjs1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 607

Post by johnnyjs1 »

Chibbert....you wouldnt happen to be going thru Marietta would you?
See, I told you guys, half the time I dont know what I'm talking about.
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Here is the list as of today 04/29/15.......

Bob Weber
JB44
Doc and Patti
Daryl Stamp and wife
SteveK
Marty2 and son
Yong
Phubai
Vann
Boxer
Chew
Jfslater98
CTRider & 3 friends
Carlos
Biff's R
Dcad
Touchton
Chibbert
Cooperstein
CycleRob
Mikemagna
Stan
Rusty
Johnnyjs1
Frank1150r
CaptainKirk (not sure if Spock will make it)
Frank Prochaska (local friend)

I have 7 more friends who are local to Staunton and have committed to be there so at this writing I have a total of 42 attendees to the Bash!
(including me) This Saturday I am riding down to Salem, Va to talk with the folks at Frontline Eurosports who are providing the dinner Saturday evening. I want to nail down details for the weekend. Following that trip I will post any details of interest to the group.

I am including my cell phone # so if anyone has questions or concerns feel free to give me a call. I am working p/t now at a local hardware store so if I don't answer just leave a message and I promise I will call you back. 540-448-5767.......now please keep this number to yourself as there are several foreign governments searching for me.I try hard to keep my number private and off the web. 8)

Just can't be too careful these days.

Another note....I need Brian's (dskyzd) phone number...what I have is apparently not a good number. So if anyone has his current number please PM me with that so I can give Brian a call. I haven't seen him respond to this thread and he usually makes the Bash so I just want to touch base with him. Also if I have missed anyone let me know. I think there may be some others that may bring their wives (which is great!) so I want to give as accurate a head count to Frontline Eurosports as I can.

Wayne (ex-towerworker)
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Hey Wayne - Vince is coming! We are probably meeting up in route and coming in together Friday!

And Brian won't be making it this year.

The route suggestions was a good one. Those are great roads!

Vann
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
dcad
Basic User

Post by dcad »

I had to cancel HoJo. Will be in Florida. Maybe next year.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Sorry you won't make it. Hope to see you next year!
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

johnnyjs1 wrote:Chibbert....you wouldnt happen to be going thru Marietta would you?
I am almost positive that he will go through Marietta. Gotta cross the River somewhere.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
captainkirk
Basic User

Post by captainkirk »

Boxer wrote:Glad to see you are coming Rob. It should be a good Bash. I'll try to remember to take some photos for a slideshow later.

Boxer, Here is your route from Chilhowie to Staunton.

[107 N. to 91 N] 8.2 mile / 11 min. (pick up 91 N in Saltville)
[91 N to 42 N/E] 6.9 mile / 11 min.
[42 N/E to 100] 61.4 mile / 1 h 30 min.
[100 N and then 460 N to 219] 19.5 mile / 26 min. (pick up 460 in Pearlsburg, VA)
[219 N to 60] 46.9 mile / 1 hour 6 min. (pick up 219 in Rich Creek, WV) (219 to Lewisburg, WV)
[60 E to 92] 10.7 mile / 17 min.
[92 N to 39] 31.1 mile / 36 min.
[39 E to 252] 51.4 mile / 1 hour 14 min.
[252 N] 28.9 mile / 40 min. to Staunton to Ho Jo's!

I'll assume you have GPS & can Locate Bash Central in Staunton. Cheers, Bob
captainkirk
Basic User

Post by captainkirk »

Boxer wrote:Okay, that Paint Bank idea looks promising. I think out of Chilhowie I'll run up to Marion and take 16 up to 42, then 42 all the way to New Castle and Paint Bank. Should be lunch time by then. From there, 18 up to Covington then find 42 again up to Staunton vicinity. How does that sound?

Did not see this - too much on my mind (if I had one!) This looks good. Bob
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I have both routes plugged in. May take some of each and then mostly do BRP up in Stauton area on Saturday.

Thanks Bob....I mean Captain.
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Jonnyjs1 - if Biffs_R says we're going through Marietta, he's probably right. When we ride together (haven't for a few years), he always has the route figured out. If we're slabbing it, have the route figured out but I think we are going to sneak across the border somewhere. I'm going to keep following him that way I don't worry about the route and can keep my eyes on the cagers. Are you planning on heading down Thursday?
2004 R1150RS
johnnyjs1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 607

Post by johnnyjs1 »

chibbert wrote:Jonnyjs1 - if Biffs_R says we're going through Marietta, he's probably right. When we ride together (haven't for a few years), he always has the route figured out. If we're slabbing it, have the route figured out but I think we are going to sneak across the border somewhere. I'm going to keep following him that way I don't worry about the route and can keep my eyes on the cagers. Are you planning on heading down Thursday?
Not quite sure yet, I should know for sure early next week.
See, I told you guys, half the time I dont know what I'm talking about.
09 Someting??
Lifer 607
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

I want to throw out a request. I'm looking for (again) a RH cylinder protector. Took another tumble over to the right avoiding a moped rider (not his fault). Just an awkward situation. Anyway managed to break another jug protector. I'm not real convinced they do any real good as they break easily and the valve cover still sustains damage. Anyway if anyone has one I'd be interested in buying it. What I really need (and will one day buy one) is a set of crash bars!

Thanks and sure looking forward to seeing all you guys (and ladies)!

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Wayne,
I will check in the garage, but I believe that I have a set of cylinder guards sitting there. I will let you know tomorrow.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!