Alternate Beakster Bash Location - Southern States

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

RBrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by RBrider »

Hey, Boxermania

I'm hosting a ride over on another site, and as one of the more experienced organizers over there told me,"You gotta stop screwing around and set a date".
That applies to a place as well.

You might lose a few because of time/or place, but you'll gain just as many 'cause you;ll give some others something to work with.

FWIW.

RB
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Hey Al - I ain't hiding but I told you I couldn't take charge, since I didn't know whether I could come or not! I am watching what is happening. :P

I think a fall date is an excellent idea. I have said all along, as long as it doesn't conflict with the other Bash, so we have a chance to do both. A fall date enhances the chance to get free a 2nd time! :wink:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

OK people, I have taken in all the input and will report below. however, I think is fair to outline a bit of the master plan before we push forward.

First, there is already a Bash in the Northeast, running now for 3 years, one in the Nothwest, running for 1 year and it would be nice to have one closer to the center. The East and West Bashes are held in the spring around the middle of May, the Central one should be in the late summer, early fall.

Second, I would like to propose a similar format but with the addition of a technical how to session, basically, a three day event (Fri, Sat, Sun), with rides, technical how to sessions, a group dinner and a raffle of sorts with a contribution by each of the participants.

So that being said and since we have the better part of 10 months ahead to plan the event, here are some things to consider:

Dates - Weekend of Sept 28, 29, 30, Weekend of October 5,6,7 or the Weekend of October 12, 13, 14. You decide.

Location - So far based on the input of the posters, and some have listed two choioes, the tally looks like this: Barber, Birgmingham - 5 votes, Arkansas - Fayeteville area - 3 votes. You decide.

Let me share my goal:

1) Get the Central Bash to happen
2) Have the date and place selected by April's fools day
2) Have 40 attendees
4) Have the best Bash ever

Now, I will be honest and tell you that I can't do this all by myself and I will be asking some of you for help. So far Van, (sorry Van, I was just picking on you on my last post....it is not often that I can be one up on you....hehehe) and I have taken this endeavor upon ourselves.

We welcome any type of sugestion and or input that you feel will make the gathering a sucess.

So don't be shy and send in your input/comments and remember that April 1st is the target date for time and place.

LET"S DO IT...........
8) 8) 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Al,

Thanks for taking this on. I would like to cast one vote each for the three weekends you proposed. I favor Arkansas over Alabama.

Geographically speaking, Lebanon, KS is central. (Machew and I had a very small, mini-Bash there last summer.) The further away from there the more challenging it is to call a place 'central'.

Arkansas fits but really, Al, Alabama is deep south. (And NC/TN/VA/WV and almost Marietta, OH) is mid-Atlantic not Northeast.

But pickiness aside, go for it.

M
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I am ashamed to say, I have never been to the Barber facility, although everyone swears it is a wonderful experience. However, I might vote for some location where the attraction are the roads to be ridden, not other distractions.

I fully intend to get to Barber one way or another next year but what are the roads like in Arkansas? If there are some primo riding locations, I vote for that! We can have a Barber get-together during a race there!
Vann - Lifer No. 295
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

As Cam said, next year's beakster bash in OH is definitely not 'East'. More like 'central' to me!

2008 in VT/NH anyone?
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Solution #3.

May - Mid-Atlantic Bash

July - Northeast Bash

Oct/Sept - South/South Central Bash

Late Feb. - some warm sunny beach in Mexico or South America Bash - probably no motorcycling though, just relaxing, fishing, eating,.......all that stuff - at a resort.

[-o<
Last edited by GypsyRR on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
BigC
Basic User

Post by BigC »

Pondering the AR thing here.... In the midst of deciding when our family trip will happen.

EDIT: I'll lend an opinion if I can go :)
'04 R1150R
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

AR sounds good to me. I have yet to visit that state, and it will be good for me to add another one to the 18 or 20 states I will have ridden my R1150R through by that point in time.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I think we should go to Arkansas if for no other reason than the intials are AR! :D

(As in AR-15 for you non-gun types)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I saw Elvis at a truck stop in west memphis, ar about 12 years ago. :D
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

"I saw what Arkansas ma'am, I saw what Arkansas!"

Yes, Arkansas gets my vote...also early Fall for the time....possibly late Fall...or even Spring. Aw heck! Anytime's good.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

This Hot News 12/8/6

Post by MikeCam »

I have it on good authority from a fellow board member that Rich Rodriguez (WVU football coach) is not joining us at the Alabama (or Arkansas, I presume) Fall Bash.
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

You know Mike, when your alma mater has been a football power for more than just a few years you don't feel the need to bring up how good your football team is doing :wink:
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

It'll be awhile for me then!
BigC
Basic User

Post by BigC »

Mike could we sticky this up? The dates proposed work fine for me, Sept./Oct. time frame. It's only about a 5 or 6 hour ride for me to Fayetteville and I have a layover spot halfway ;)
'04 R1150R
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!

Post by MikeCam »

Brent,

Good idea! The folks planning this one and one of the mods will need to do a cleaned up summary post that can be stuck up at the top with other planned events.

I think, however, that the flash of ideas here never got very far into actual planning. So we might needd to give them more time....

Al?
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Someone needs to pick a date. I have a big 'empty nest' trip planned for the middle part of September with the wife, which is probably the ideal time, so I may be out. But if everyone agrees on a date which doesn't conflict, I'll do my best to make it!
Vann - Lifer No. 295
BigC
Basic User

Post by BigC »

Vann I think as far as Sept. goes that it would be last weekend which hopefully would work for you and I think it would be better temp wise to do it then.

Mike, honestly, based on your "presence" here and contribution I thought you were one of the mods. My apologies for the misconception. I'll PM Doug and ask him to sticky it for us...
'04 R1150R