2007 RA Rally

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

2007 RA Rally

Post by R4R&R »

This sounds like a fun weekend. Anyone interested? I hear Asheville, NC is a nice place to ride and this could fit in nicely between the east and south central bashes.

http://www.bmwra.org/rally/
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

John,
I would prefer that you did not post pics of my house, since some here may come, but never leave.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I'm in on this one. I can't believe they're having it at the Biltmore.

Vann! Hey where's Vann? Vann, do you think you can make the trip? :D
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Boxer - I might be able to make that one! :lol:

I have lived in Asheville since 1975 and never been to the Biltmore House. It's a tourist thing you know! :P I have done work on the Estate and our company Christmas party last weekend was at the new Inn at Biltmore, so I drove past it!

We need to have a board gathering for the guys that come and I will lead a group ride some some of the local favorite 'roads-that-shall-not-be-named' on the internet! 8)
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Count me in. It's been five years since I've been to the Biltmore, and I'll take advantage of any excuse I can get to spend time in God's country - Western NC.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

wncbmw wrote:We need to have a board gathering for the guys that come and I will lead a group ride some some of the local favorite 'roads-that-shall-not-be-named' on the internet! 8)
Vann,
Can we all camp in your yard? :wink:

Kidding. How far are you from there? I may bring one of my kids (it would help with the kitchen pass). I've never been to the Biltmore Estate and it looks like a cool place - and we can camp there too! Hmm.....This looks real good. Spring Bash, two weeks then this! I can't wait!
John
Member 293 (I think)
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Can we all camp in your yard?
Why yes! But I believe the Biltmore Estate is probably nicer!:lol:
How far are you from there?
10 minutes! :P
Vann - Lifer No. 295
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

One of the members of a local rider message board is the RA board and is telling us some 'inside' info. Look for the rally fee to be slightly higher than normal but will include unlimited access to the Biltmore House and Gardens, which is normally $42 per day. That alone should justify the rally fee.

This is the first ever event like this hosted by the Biltmore people, so it will be an historic event of sorts. They pride themselves on doing everything first class and it sounds like the negotiators for the RA have done a good job and the Biltmore crowd is excited about this event.

Also, the Biltmore folks want all the bikes and riders to pose in front of the house after normal tourist hours for a group picture!

Camping ten minutes from home seems sort of silly but I may have to in order to get in on this! :P
Vann - Lifer No. 295
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

I was out there 4-5 years ago and fell in love with that area. I should have taken the job offer in Ashville years ago when it was presented to me! D*&# this Texas blood.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

D*&# this Texas blood.
Yep! I think someone gave me a transfusion when I was sleeping. It's drawing us ever nearer...My wife now says we can start looking for a place in west Texas to move to...if I still want to.
cworley5150
Basic User

Post by cworley5150 »

Hmmm . . . I think I will try to go. All of the times I've been through that area, I have never been to the Biltmore Estate. Always wanted to take a tour. What better time than this? Being able to camp right on the estate will be a blast. I have been planning a southern parkway ride for the spring anyhow.

wncbmw, please post any info you get from your source as you can.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Boxers Rule! Umm. . . the bikes, not the underwear.
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

<bump>

Registration is now open for this. At this point, I'm planning on camping on the estate.
John
Member 293 (I think)
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Its $61 to pre-register. $67 at the gate. Not bad considering the unlimited visits to the Biltmore House.

And how often in your life will you get to pitch your tent on the grounds of this estate?

I just have to check to see if my wife wants to tag along on this one.
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

My Guess for the Rally Site

Post by DSKYZD »

Here is my guess for the location of Rally Central. More camping possibly in the field to the North.

Click for the larger, easier to read version

EDIT:
DUH, there were coordinates in the last rally newsletter. I was off a couple of hundred feet. Correct field though.
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

The extra rally fee is indeed because of the unlimited access to the Biltmore House and winery and the grounds. This is the first ever event of this kind on the Estate, so it will be unique.

I have heard that the Estate people have requested a group photo after hours in front of the the Biltmore House. Cool!

And I will probably camp also, even living 10 minutes away. I hope to host a visit at my house for the board members in attendence for some porch-sitting and cold beverages! (non-alcoholic, since we are riding!) :P
Vann - Lifer No. 295
R4R&R
Basic User

Post by R4R&R »

<Registered>

Going solo at this point, planning on camping on the Biltmore grounds.

Looking forward to this one.....Actually, looking forward to all of my upcoming rides! :D
John
Member 293 (I think)
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Oh snap! Minor glitch in my RA rally plans. My wife pointed out that the Saturday of the rally is my youngest son's high school graduation! Hmm. . .

Oh well, I will still be at the Rally! Fortunately, the graduation venue is only about 10 minutes from the rally site!:lol: I plan to take Friday off and lead a ride if anyone wants to tag along. Saturday AM I shall have to depart for a while but by early afternoon, I'll be back!
Vann - Lifer No. 295
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

wncbmw wrote:One of the members of a local rider message board is the RA board and is telling us some 'inside' info. Look for the rally fee to be slightly higher than normal but will include unlimited access to the Biltmore House and Gardens, which is normally $42 per day. That alone should justify the rally fee.

This is the first ever event like this hosted by the Biltmore people, so it will be an historic event of sorts. They pride themselves on doing everything first class and it sounds like the negotiators for the RA have done a good job and the Biltmore crowd is excited about this event.

Also, the Biltmore folks want all the bikes and riders to pose in front of the house after normal tourist hours for a group picture!

Camping ten minutes from home seems sort of silly but I may have to in order to get in on this! :P
Since you have local knowledge: what is the closest airport to the rally? Wife wants no part of riding there, but flying... Also, can we bring a camp stove and such..on the bike of course.
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Asheville has an airport, just south off of I-26. Not a huge airport but there are some direct flights to major hubs. You may end up having to connect somewhere though. And the Charlotte airport is only two hours east and is bigger and has more direct flights. You could pick her up there. Let me know if that helps.

And the RA rally is a typical BMW event as far as camping goes. There will be plenty of folks camping and cooking there! Lots of good eating establishments around also.

And for those moteling it, the motels around the rally are probably close to full by now. Lots of choices not too far from the rally site.

Avoid anything off of Exit 44 on I-40! Currently undergoing major construction and a motorcyclist's nightmare of traffic and edge traps!
Vann - Lifer No. 295
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

Looks like my wife and a couple of friends will be driving a car to the event. Question, as long as they all pay, they can park and camp on site, correct?
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507