Tips for long distance rides

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

We have a winner !

Post by TonyT607 »

MIXR wrote:Don't use the same cloth for your crotch and face!
Quote of the day.
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT
Spookymonster
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Spookymonster »

Rode out about 6 hours (350 miles). Took it easy on the throttle - this trip was all about saddle time. That's just over 1/2 of the time (and miles) I plan on taking for my big ride to TN in June. Took a few rest breaks, and changed up position as needed (standing on pegs, sitting on pillion, even rested my calves on the cylinders a few times). No physical complaints to speak of when I got home. The decent weather definitely helps with the endurance/alertness levels. About the worst of it was all the bugs; had to stop at one point and buy some moist wipes just to see thu my visor!

I'll probably get 1 more 6+ hour ride before the big push. So far, everything's a go!
2000 R1100 R with 3480 miles... 3481... 3482... 5003...
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

Nice one Spooky - I think 350 miles in a day is about my highest too so far, but we run out of road a lot faster in the UK.

If you're planning twice that, there's no reason you can't take a tent or some money for a motel room - if you're late arriving, so what? if you arrive a day early (in one go) then you get a 'free day' riding round your destination.

Grim determination to stick to a schedule is what gets people unstuck IMO - if it's supposed to be for fun, then go with a flow & stop if you get weary and don't beat yourself up.
Spookymonster
Basic User

Post by Spookymonster »

The ultimate destination of my June trip is the Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee. Because I'm planning on camping out the 4 days, I'll have a tent and bag strapped to my bike and ready to go should I need it on the road. However, at this point, I feel pretty confident in being able to cover the full 677 miles in one day at a leisurely pace.

Still, I planned an extra day into my schedule, just in case I needed a nights rest. Best case scenario, I get there in 1 day, and my buddy and I tear up the Blue Ridge Mountains a bit on the rest day. As far as getting back, I've already told my job that my return date is flexible, depending on weather and my condition to ride.

BTW, if anyone's ever looking for a great 2-man tent for biking, I highly recommend the Eureka Apex 2 - a little heavy for backpacking, but light enough and small enough to fit in 1/2 a system case (including stakes and footprints).
2000 R1100 R with 3480 miles... 3481... 3482... 5003...
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

Ditto to all the long distance suggestions....

I really love the custom molded ear plugs that connect to my ipod.

I can still hear traffic, But on long rides I can dance in my seat. (yes it sounds silly).... It reduces that stiff tightness that one can experience on long rides....I keep moving....rolling my shoulders, turning my head, doing regular leg stretches, and bouncing around in my seat to some good music....
Teenagers sometimes pass me giving me the 'rock on' sign....
:smt109

Getting tight causes me to delay my reactions. It is important that my bod and my mind stay limber.

Just-Beeming
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!
Dodge
Basic User

Just my 2 cents...

Post by Dodge »

I've been doing pretty much the same sort of thing that you're looking at doing in June out here on the West Coast. I've been riding since August, and so far amassed about 6K in the saddle. I'm planning a trip into Canada in July that will average 500 miles over eight days. Until recently most of my rides have been less than 200 miles in a day, and all were less than 400. The last week of April I rode down to visit relatives in California. The first day I rode 580 miles down I-5, stopping every 150 miles or so, (don't recommend). The second day did some mountain riding with a friend covering approx. 250 miles of twisty mountain roads around Sonora. The third day I did the I-5 run heading north. I found that my body was starting to complain by the third day, as I was trying to determine how I would do for the Canada trip this summer, I pushed this ride a bit more than I normally would.
My recommendations mirror most that have already been stated earlier but to be as specific as possible.
1. Limit your time in the saddle to about 1.5 hours at a stretch, (pardon the pun). I stopped for Fuel, Fluids and restroom.
2. Stretch out and move around before getting back on the road.
3. It was rather warm on the third day, (near 100 degrees), don't overheat. I had a neck gator that I wet down and found that it worked great to keep me cool while going down the road.
4. Figure that you'll be stopping for about 10 minutes every 100 miles or so when planning your schedule.
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

Dodge.
I did a similar miles/distance to Vegas just 2 weeks ago.
Yes that third day is kind of tough...but I have found in previous trips (17 days on the bike last Sept) the subsiquent days after that go a little easier.
I get 'conditioned' as the season/trip goes on.

We are planning 31 days in September. So I sure hope my bod is conditioned by then.

I so agree with getting off and moving, streching etc. Sometimes I get gas without getting off...( my husband just hands me the hose)...big mistake!!!! I now get off whether tired or not just to move about.
It Important!

Another tip on trip planning....we include 0 mile days into our trip agenda. We usually ride somewhere on those days but are not committed to any destination. It helps us to always be ahead of shedule so that we can ride safe.

Didn't you just love Sonora. I had the best time in that little town. Good food, shopping and sights to see.
We stayed at the Gunn House Motor Hotel. It was fantastic. Classic, quaint with good breakfast and nice pool.

Happy riding...wil you be going to the Chief Joe Rally?

Just-Beeming
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!