Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Welcome New Members (and old) - Introduce Yourself!

Post by OU812 »

bucky katt. The Titan was my dream bike back in the day. Please keep us up to date on that beauty! ;)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Re: a german Rocksterdriver arrived

Post by Mollygrubber »

Ves wrote:
germanrockster wrote:Hello!

My name is Sven and I come from germany.
I find this board by chance and it looks very good, gratulation!

Sorry, my english is not so good. At last time I write english at school before 30 years.

I am an Adminstrator from the german Rockster-Forum.
It is not so big like this one, but we also have more than 430 members.
The members come from germany, austria, switzerland, Southafrika and so on.
The members from the Rockster-Forum have met several times. We had a lot of fun with each other.

I would be glad to be allowed to greet you once in the http://www.rockster-forum.de
I have asked Doug to be a partner from this site!

greetings from germany to the USA
Better than most of the inmates here, actually...

Welcome... heck, your English is better than some of the people who live here in the US... :D :D
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Royal Tiger
Basic User

Post by Royal Tiger »

I just found this thread, even though I have some posts in the R 1150 R section.

I found this site from BMW Sport Touring which I got from SBN (sport bikes . net) in my quest for info on a 2002 R 1150 R I'm considering adding to the 2 bikes in my signature.

If I do get the bike, I'm sure I'll lean on you guys for questions and the valuable answers that will surely follow.
Dan

2003 aprilia RSV 1000R
1993 Kawasaki KLX650C
Motorcycle_Girl
Lifer
Donating Member #: 752

Post by Motorcycle_Girl »

I have been on this forum for a little while now. I just saw this thread so I thought that I would say hello. I am the proud owner of an 09 R1200R. I recently picked up a 1982 Yamaha RD350LC to restore (I know what was I thinking? - these are the things that you do in the winter when you can't ride)
I ride when ever I can and I love going on motorcycle trips. This summer planning to explore West Virginia and Virginia....

Aside from bikes - I know is there anything else? I have a great man in my life that also rides and he manages to tolerate my other hobbies...Irish Wolfhounds (I have 3 of the hairy beasts), my other critters (4 cats and a turtle), playing drums (ok well, learning to play drums which is even hard to deal with), playing irish music - bodhran and hammered dulcimer.

Celeste
2009 R1200R Biarritz Blue
1982 Yamaha RD350LC (IT LIVES!!!!)
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Hi! I'm Bill and I just purchased a 2009 Alpine White R1200R. I am not new to BMW motorcycles. I first owned a Steel Blue 2000 R1200C Montana that I purchased used in 2003. I rode this bike for two years and thought I needed a touring bike, so I traded the C in for a brand new Piedmont Red 2005 R1200RT, just in time to ride to the BMW MOA Rally in Lima, OH. I enjoyed the RT, but I could not live with the fairing and the lack of airflow in our hot/humid summers in NC. I also could not flatfoot the bike, due to my 29 inch inseam and I was uneasy moving the large RT around in parking spaces.

The R bikes had always appealed to me from the first time I saw one in a dealership. It was a black 2003 R1150R and it just looked like to me what I envisioned a BMW motorcycle should look like. So after five years of struggling with the RT, I decided to move to the R1200R with the January BMW sales promotion that included side cases and a discounted price. I really wanted a Biaritz Blue, but the Alpine White was all the dealer had in stock. I am becoming accustomed to the color and don't mind it because the bike is such a joy to ride!

I use the nickname of fastdogs2 on the BMWMOA forum and on this forum because I have owned two retired racing greyounds. Unfortunately, my 13 year old male had to be put down recently, due to a degenerative spinal disease that left him paralyzed. We still have a 5 1/2 year old female, who is now the only dog and actually believes she is not a dog, but a princess!

This forum has been useful to browse to see what farkles everyone has added and appears to be a valuable resource in the care and feeding of the R bike. I look forward to learning more from you all about this wonderful motorcycle.
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Glad to have another dog/BMW lover Bill! :D
Motorcycle_Girl
Lifer
Donating Member #: 752

Post by Motorcycle_Girl »

Welcome..from another BMW and dog lover (3 Irish Wolfhounds live at my house)

Celeste
2009 R1200R Biarritz Blue
1982 Yamaha RD350LC (IT LIVES!!!!)
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Thank you OU and Celeste for welcoming me!

OU, I lived in Arlington Heights and Elk Grove Village from 1969-1978. I am sure the area is vastly changed now. I couldn' tolerate the cold weather, so I have lived in North Carolina the past 26 years.

Celeste, you must have a large home or a farm to accomodate 3 Irish Wolfhounds. They are beautiful dogs. I admire that breed when I see them on the dog shows on TV.
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Welcome Bill...

Glad to see another smart person joining the group. Ya see, Smart people recognize that Dogs and Motorcycles are a couple of the finest joys in life. I'm sorry to hear about the situation of your recently departed pal. Just reading it chokes me up a bit. It brings back a couple of all-too-similar and painful memories of my own. He sounds like he had a great person-companion in you. I've got a princess named Olivia (black Lab) at home. She also goes by the name of Snuggle Puppy, you can probably guess why.

I've got a little jealousy towards the R12R folks. :mrgreen: But, I'm still happy with my R1150R, and its got a lot of miles left in it.

Kirk (aka iowabeakster)
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Welcome all new comers!
Member #1
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Albeit I introduced myself on page 3, way back then, it is fitting to mention that this post is now over 5 years old and it started on my birthday. Greetings and salutations to the old timers and welcome aboard to the new members.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

Well, I'm not new to the site. I've been a member for the past year, but I just became a lifer, so I guess it's an occasion to post something here.

A big thank you to everyone who has been so very helpful here (especially CycleRob for hosting that tech session last summer). Another thank you to Doug and any board members (there are others, right?) for keeping this site running.

Lastly, while I love my R1150R (slowly making adjustments), I must admit that owning Beemers has become a full-on addiction/obsession. I previously owned an F650GSDakar, in addition to the 50R. These days I read about and ogle the R12R, K12R, K13, and F800... and the HPs. Of course, that's in addition to wanting to purchase an R65, R90, or R1100R to turn it into a cafe racer. Yes, well, if money and garage space were not an issue...

Cheers and happy riding all,
DMM
Member #725
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

OU812 wrote:bucky katt. The Titan was my dream bike back in the day. Please keep us up to date on that beauty! ;)
I'll have to look up the Titan (because I am not familiar with it); however, I offer my admiration for your CB750 cafe racer. Very, very nice. :smt023
Member #725
ajs3102
Lifer
Donating Member #: 6005

Post by ajs3102 »

Hi, my name is AJ and I live in Summerville, SC. (near Charleston, SC). I am a brand new R1200R owner (2009 White for the pure of heart). I currently own a Honda VTX1800 and a Harley Ultra. Problem is my wife does not see the need for 2 motorcycles, much less 3. I retorted with "You wouldn't ask a Morman to give up one of his wives would you?" Well, lets just say it didn't go over as well as I had planned. Anybody want to buy a 2007 Harley Ultra Classic??
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-FB
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Sell the wife. :mrgreen:
ajs3102
Lifer
Donating Member #: 6005

Post by ajs3102 »

Nope- Sold the Harley on Saturday and my VTX 1800 is for sale now. I love riding my R1200R so much my other bikes would just be sitting. Plus- my wife is tolerating my hobby pretty well not to mention she's a gourmet cook :smt055
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-FB
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Sounds like you made the sound move! Enjoy the coolest looking BMW! =D>
lesthemess
Basic User

Post by lesthemess »

So, I have lurked here since becoming interested in an "R" bike, and now that I have purchased an '02 1150 R, I should introduce myself.

I am les, I live in Virginia, and spent the last 7 months putting about 7200 miles on my '07 F650GS. When I got the urge for something bigger and more powerful, there was no one to say no, so I purchased an '02 R1150R. So far, I really like it...quiet, smooth and powerful. It is going to be a great bike to continue my rider education on!

thanks for letting me in....

les
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Cool Les! Happy to have you! Great forum and members here to help in SO many ways. Enjoy!
Steve
Waratah
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Waratah »

Hello to everyone on the message board, I've just joined and thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is John (board name Waratah), a retired mechanical engineer and live in Sydney, Australia. I've owned motorcycles since I was old enough to have a licence (1970) and have always had at least one in the garage. I currently have three bikes - an '01 R1100RT, an '88 R100RS and a pocket money ground-up restoration in very slow progress, an '80 Ducati Darmah SD900.

The idea of replacing my two older BMW motorcycles with one new machine (some time in the next 12 months) has been rattling around inside my mind for some time now, but for the life of me I can't decide which direction to go. It has to be a twin, it has to be shaft drive, do I stick with a road bike or do I look towards a dual-purpose bike - early stages of decision making! I can't see myself tackling the Amazon or either of the Poles so I'm thinking a GS Adventure is probably too much for what I need. I don't mind the odd dirt back road and have added a few scratches and blemishes to my RT's fairing/panniers as a result; I'm considering moving away from the Tupperware clad RT series. Do I intend riding to destinations that need the versatility of an R1200GS or would an R1200R be up to the task? All good points to consider.

I had a look at the R1200R at Sydney's motorcycle show in November 2009 and came away very impressed. A blank canvas on which to create your own bike. Today I saw this message board and thought I'd join up to (a) see what you good folk were doing with your R1200Rs and (b) read up on a few facts to assist me in the decision making process.

Look forward to chatting,

Waratah (aka John)
Currently own a 1988 R100RS, would love a 2012 R12R