Motorcycle styling

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

ron prior
Basic User

Motorcycle styling

Post by ron prior »

Why is it that so many new motorcycles [most all BMW's] have such a huge gap at the rear wheel...[no rear fender] and the frames all have that forward down hill slope to them ? They look incomplete from the seat back,IMO,.. and all that open side allows road debris ,water mud, etc to be slung all over the place. I wish they [manufactures] would return to a more enclosed look.........thoughts ?
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Motorcycle styling

Post by mogu83 »

I think it's a gross example of form over function. BMW for years produced a machine designed to provide reliable transportation and outstanding reliability. They lead the world and gained worldwide recognition in those areas. Then the marketing people took over.

The Japs had big fat tires so the Beemers got big fat tires, Harley sold a lot of bikes so BMW produced the CL, body styles were only used for a few years so people would be encouraged to run out and buy the latest and greatest. The Japs had four cylinder engines so Beemer put out a four. Other manufactures had race bikes so Beemer made a race bike - then dropped out of racing. People wanted big engines so BMW built a six. New technologies were released with little R and D on the finial product,the owners of the new bikes were told the problems were imaginary. The bike wasn't surging you weren't riding it correctly, there is nothing wrong with the rear drive. By the time the bugs were worked out the model was dropped and the new model came out with it's own set of bugs.

While Beemer experimented with new ways to make money, the Japanese motorcycle industry slowly caught up to, and possibly passed, them in the reliability department. Yes they still have the revered roundel on the tank representing years of excellent engineering, but one has to wonder if the new products come up to the standards set when those first opposed twins rolled out of the factory so many decades ago.

And yes if I get a new bike it will likely have a roundel on the tank.

Naturally IMHO
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
ron prior
Basic User

Re: Motorcycle styling

Post by ron prior »

mogu83 wrote:I think it's a gross example of form over function. BMW for years produced a machine designed to provide reliable transportation and outstanding reliability. They lead the world and gained worldwide recognition in those areas. Then the marketing people took over.

The Japs had big fat tires so the Beemers got big fat tires, Harley sold a lot of bikes so BMW produced the CL, body styles were only used for a few years so people would be encouraged to run out and buy the latest and greatest. The Japs had four cylinder engines so Beemer put out a four. Other manufactures had race bikes so Beemer made a race bike - then dropped out of racing. People wanted big engines so BMW built a six. New technologies were released with little R and D on the finial product,the owners of the new bikes were told the problems were imaginary. The bike wasn't surging you weren't riding it correctly, there is nothing wrong with the rear drive. By the time the bugs were worked out the model was dropped and the new model came out with it's own set of bugs.

While Beemer experimented with new ways to make money, the Japanese motorcycle industry slowly caught up to, and possibly passed, them in the reliability department. Yes they still have the revered roundel on the tank representing years of excellent engineering, but one has to wonder if the new products come up to the standards set when those first opposed twins rolled out of the factory so many decades ago.

And yes if I get a new bike it will likely have a roundel on the tank.

Naturally IMHO

I believe :-k you hit the nail on the head as they say...........

I still miss my Airhead /CS and the "latest' leave me cold......and here all this time I thought I was just being a grumpy old fart...........OK I am a grumpy old fart....but I still think you're right. :)