BMW waterproof gear-anybody use it?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

BMW waterproof gear-anybody use it?

Post by Buckster »

Looking at some waterproof pants and was wondering if anyone has used their gear. Pricing seems inline with offerings from Revit, Rukka, Klim, or Dianese. I am familiar with Gore-Tex and the waterproofness and breathability of it. Not sure what BMW has similar to it. I know BMW will probably tell me it's great and better than anything out there. I have their All Around boots and love them. Anybody have any comments, please chime in.
Thanks.
Buckster '03R
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: BMW waterproof gear-anybody use it?

Post by kirby »

I have been using aerostich darien pants for the last couple of years. stayed dry in all day rain.
They are light and good armor.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Buckster
Lifer

Post by Buckster »

Thanks...I've been looking at the Aerostich Utility pants as well although I'm disappointed that the hip armor and a belt are sold separately.
How are the dariens as far as summer breathability?
Buckster '03R
kirby

Post by kirby »

They are very light weight but due to being waterproof don't pass air so if you wear them in just underware not to bad. I have ridden in 117 deg heat going thru Needles CA and it was not bad.
Good quality and they will repair if something goes wrong (like a zipper). Comes with a belt but I use suspenders.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Frogg Troggs is my less expensive rain gear solution. I just pull over and throw them on over whatever I'm wearing when needed. Light weight and packs up small when not in use.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/mens-jac ... cycle.html
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I have the BMW "rainlock" pants and jacket, and tourmaster boot covers.

It will totally keep you dry, but I do NOT trust your phone to the pockets in a downpour. lesson learned. :) I think they are a little expensive for what they are, but I got them at a BIG discount, and they work just fine. keep it all in my left case.

also, don't skip the boot covers because your friend makes fun of you for wearing "booties". :lol: long story.

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Buckster
Lifer

Post by Buckster »

Thanks for the replies.
My boots are waterproof so I'm good there. I'm looking for gear with a waterproof membrane that's built into the fabric. I don't want to carry anything that I have to put on when it starts raining.
Buckster '03R
kirby

Post by kirby »

Spending more for good quality is a good idea if your going to do serious riding. My rodcrafter stuff is 25 years old and is still in good nick. (Washable)
The best thing about aerostich is their support. If something does need repair it will be done correctly.
I have about 1,000,000 miles on single track machines.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Buckster wrote:Thanks for the replies.
My boots are waterproof so I'm good there. I'm looking for gear with a waterproof membrane that's built into the fabric. I don't want to carry anything that I have to put on when it starts raining.
gotcha.

mine are said to be "waterproof" as well. But I found out 7 hrs in the pouring rain is their failure threshold hahahah. :lol:

which pants are you looking at? you don't actually say in the first post...
Buckster
Lifer

Post by Buckster »

Nothing in particular at this point. Goretex mostly because of the waterproofness and breathability and I do like the fact that Aerostich is made in America.
Kirby...is your Darien the regular or the light version?
Buckster '03R
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

Waterproof jackets and trousers can be split into roughly two types, drop in liner or laminated.

Drop in liner. By far the most common. Waterproof liner, Gortex or whatever is seperate to the main outer jacket. It can be sewn into the jacket or be a zip out liner, sometimes combined with the thermal liner. My Halvarssons is like this. It's 100% waterproof but suffers from what's known as 'wetting out'....that's when the outer layer of fabric gets waterlogged.....water still won't get through the inner (waterproof) liner but the jacket becomes heavy, can be cold in winter and leaves a huge puddle as it drips dry.

Laminated. Generally used in high end gear, Klim, Rukka, some BMW etc. They use Gortex Pro that is bonded, or laminated, to the outer jacket material. This means it does not wet out like a drop in liner as the outer layer of material is actually waterproof. Generally expensive and not quite as comfortable as a drop in liner but warmer when wet and dos the leave a lake when you take the gear off.
kirby

Post by kirby »

Buckster wrote:Nothing in particular at this point. Goretex mostly because of the waterproofness and breathability and I do like the fact that Aerostich is made in America.
Kirby...is your Darien the regular or the light version?
Regular.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
AndyfromPoland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by AndyfromPoland »

From the BMW stuff I've bought:

Suits:

- Street Guard is totally waterproof

- Cover-All is good for showers, and heavier rain, if you're doing a reasonable speed. In really heavy rain and stop/start in town or slowly filtering the bottom of the main zip is definitely not waterproof and you end up looking like you've wet your pants

- Atlantis (can't remember the version, but circa 2002) is not totally waterproof but at least as good as the Cover-All, probably better. And dries very quickly indeed. There is a Goretex liner, but it's a real faff and isn't that comfortable.

Best summer rain combo for me: Street Guard jacket and Atlantis trousers.

Winter gloves - not bad at all, but will leak if the rain really persists.

Goretex lined boots - waterproof up to about 4 hours of torrential downpour, but do leak in the end. Mine are about 15 years old and maybe the newer ones are totally immune to rain.
Member #69
Feeding the Rat
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

peels wrote:do NOT trust your phone to the pockets in a downpour[/img]
I stuff a plastic grocery bag in the seat trunk, wrap my phone and wallet in it and then stick it in a (waterproof) gear pocket.
For cold, I use tourmaster stuff.
If it's warm, I'll use the JR liner on top and a pair of cheap plastic camping overpants for the legs.
And waterproof boots.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:
peels wrote:do NOT trust your phone to the pockets in a downpour[/img]
I stuff a plastic grocery bag in the seat trunk, wrap my phone and wallet in it and then stick it in a (waterproof) gear pocket.
For cold, I use tourmaster stuff.
If it's warm, I'll use the JR liner on top and a pair of cheap plastic camping overpants for the legs.
And waterproof boots.

that about what I do now...Have a ziploc. but this first storm i ever got caught in on a long ride.... was impatient... :lol:
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Currently I have an older pair of the BMW 'Rainlock' over trousers - which are excellent, and a 'road-worker' fluoro-orange over jacket from a car-boot sale apparantly*

Those are going on over a Rukka all-weather jacket (Which I don't like), and Hood armoured jeans.

NORMALLY I'd prefer to wear something like the Rukka jacket which is armoured and waterproof by design (eg most 'all-season' textile jackets on the market), however, most of the textile jackets 'soak up' rain into the outer layer (at least), and my new job has very deep-pile fitted carpets.... which I'm loathe to ruin in my first month!

At some point in the next 12 months I'm going to upgrade my outfit to one of the newer designs that are properly aqua-phobic - ie, the water simply doesn't soak in to the material, and can be simply shaken off once you get to destination. The BMW TourMaster jackets are (were?) like that and were very good for it, (shame they weren't good in other ways though :( ).

* Which was hanging in my parents coat-cupboard and I've 'appropriated' temporarily! ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I have 2 pairs of the BMW Goretex boots. The only times my feet have gotten wet is when some other part fails and the water runs down my legs and into the boots. One other time was when I stepped into water deeper than the boot is tall. The older pair is 15-16 years old and the young ones are about 10 years old.

Pants, I have the Aerostich AD-1 Light pants. They have been great. The only problem that I had was on the R when the water would pool in the crotch, my gut would get wet..If I lost a little weight this wouldn't be a problem. I love the full length zippers, the thigh pockets, and the fit. I've worn them from the 20s to the 90s. When its warm, I wear gym shorts underneath and it's not too bad.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Upate: I recently bought a 2018 BMW Streetguard jacket off the sales rack (at a 40% discount).

Weirdly - it's the smallest size BMW do (46) and it fits me perfectly (I am NOT BMW's smallest customer.... by a long shot).

Unfortunately, the first shower proved that it didn't have waterproof outer pockets ( :( ), so I took it back and they replaced it.....

... with a brand-spanking new, out of the box, never worn by anyone else 2019 Streetguard. :D

I haven't yet been caught in any heavy rain, just light showers, but it's looking pretty good so far. :)

I also bought the new iteration of the Rainlock overtrousers - again, so far so good, but they do NOT have the mesh liner that my old Rainlock trousers had, which is a disappointment. The mesh liner saved the material from being caught by boots, and prevented (somewhat) the 'wet-bulb' effect making you feel damp when you are just chilly. Good thing though - they go on over boots VERY easily, thanks to very wide legs with a long zip on each leg that comes up above the knee.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Updates on the Streetguard.... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45467&p=275412#p275412
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life