Paint on gas tank fragile and easily scratched.

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Paint on gas tank fragile and easily scratched.

Post by Hidalgo »

I noticed the paint on my 2004 ROCKSTER is easily, and by easily I mean even a light rub with key or even watch straps immediately makes a significant scratch. I've been retouching them with paint from the auto a parts store and it matches pretty good. I was wondering if anybody else has that happen to the paint in the gas tank and if there is a coating or polish that will prevent this paint scratching off so easily. It’s almost like the paint has lost it’s integrity and anything will make it chip or flake away.

Thanks,
Gil
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Paint on gas tank fragile and easily scratched.

Post by sweatmark »

You have the matte black paint? Yes it's soft. I have the Alpine white in 80th anniversary edition, which has some clear-coat but is still crap paint and has yellowed appreciably over time - looks like dirty socks when compared to the white plastic side panels in same paint scheme.

And we haven't even started to talk about the blue paint that bubbles happily on the valve covers and cast alloy portions of the Telelever fork assembly.

Sorry to say, our bikes were produced during an unfortunate era for BMW paint.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Hidalgo »

Thanks Sweatmark. So what you are saying is, I better buy a gallon of basic matt black retouch paint. Right? I was hoping to find some product I could use to coat the tank and protect what ever paint I have.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I just did a truck in flat black. Not to mention the difficulty in being able to spray evenly as compared with conventional paint, the flat/matte finishes, especially single stage (no clear cost), almost feel as if you could scratch them off with your fingernail.
The truck looks horrible, but hey it's a truck. Still I personally wouldn't do another flat/matte paint job again.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence