How big of a concern should getting hit from behind at a light be?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

How big of a concern should getting hit from behind at a light be?

Post by MThomas »

https://rideapart.com/articles/10-thing ... le-crashes

"Someone hit you from behind at a stop light? Why weren’t you flashing your brake lights? Why didn’t you slow down early to bring them to a controlled stop? Why were you stopped in the lane and not on the margin?"

TBH I've though of this scenario myself. I'm at a stoplight but there's no one behind me (yet). Will the next car see me and stop in time? I'm pretty much at the mercy of the driver.
I don't see others flashing brake lights, and avoiding the middle of the lane, should we be?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Re: How big of a concern should getting hit from behind at a light be?

Post by peels »

dont let it eat at you, but let it always in the back of your mind, so you pay attention.

what i do, as I watch in mirror. if driver doesnt look engaged, and the speed looks high.. I flash my brakes.

drivers DO tend to creep awfully close to bikes, which i unnerving.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

I keep it in first and am prepared to move if a car pulling up behind me looks like it is not slowing down enough.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Happens a lot more than most riders think. Usually the damage to the rider is minor but the damage to the new bikes with all the body work can be expensive. Plus your bike can end up in the shop during prime riding time. Their are varied opinions (think oil) about what kind of rear auxiliary lighting is best but it's worth looking into something. Most are relatively cheap and easy to install.

I know MSF recommends sitting at a light in first with the clutch in, but I've always disagreed with that. I started on bikes with clutch cables and their was always the chance the cable would break and launch you into cross traffic. Also if your sitting at a light in first and some one just gives you a light tap, chances are the bike will move forward, your body will move back and your hand will slip off the clutch. Launching the bike into cross traffic. Better to pull to the light, put it in first and then pull it back to neutral.
Also when sitting at a light and people start that pull up two feet and stop routine, I don't move. Every time you pull up and stop just gives the guy behind you another chance to tap you.

Naturally IMHO (IE: IMHO). You did ask. :)
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

This is #2 on my hit parade, right after people (going in the opposite direction) turning left in front of me, and right before people driving distracted for whatever reason. My advice: Ride like you're invisible, flash your brake lights when stopped, and always leave yourself an "out".
Rich
ADIOS!