Would you buy a Buell Blast as a second bike?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

Would you buy a Buell Blast as a second bike?

Post by MThomas »

I'm considering getting a second bike for the times when the BMW is being serviced/repaired.

I don't want to spend a lot on the second bike since it would probably get ridden once every week or so (daily whenever the BMW's inoperable).

The Buell Blasts are going for a song but my concerns are:

1. Availability of parts.
They're no longer in business so is eBay and botique online stores the only option? That could get time consuming and expensive.

2. Ease of repair.
I'm not going to pay a mechanic to work on a bike that costs <=$1k. They *look* pretty straightforward to DIY but are they?

Anyone have experience/thoughts on this?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Would you buy a Buell Blast as a second bike?

Post by sweatmark »

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

yucky. rode one at an open house. its an overweight dirt bike. (good value for a beginner though)

Just work on the Beemer. Iv'e missed like one riding weekend the whole time Ive owned it. because I was cheap, and didnt pre-order tires. LOL do your maintenance in the cold of winter. Its only down when I take it down.

if you're considering this 2nd bike route, with easy, low maintenance as your target, I would go Japanese. all day long.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

I'm actually trying to own less items in general so I think I'll take your advice, I have a pickup as a second vehicle anyway
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:I'm actually trying to own less items in general so I think I'll take your advice, I have a pickup as a second vehicle anyway
I keep trying that too.

wife and kids have their own agenda it appears. at some point, well need a second home for just their toys. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a dodge dakota. It collects dust this time of year. pretty soon, Ill have to get after some of its squawks though. I'm driving it sans one of the front cv shafts LOL it went bad in another town this spring, I just yanked it out to get home without sounding like metal crusher. its been 3wd for a couple months. I think i put 1500 miles on it all last year.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Speaking of Buell Blasts, this popped into my mailbox courtesy of Bike EXIF:

http://www.bikeexif.com/buell-blast-custom?

And to think - many of those parts are sitting in my garage... hmm. Fun project.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)