Would you consider a 2002 Fat Boy as a second bike, why or why not?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

Would you consider a 2002 Fat Boy as a second bike, why or why not?

Post by MThomas »

Just got offered a 2002 fat boy w/30k mi in great shape for 5k (7.5 bb).
Was told it's a simple design like the R1150r and not prone to failure like many other HDs.
Was also thinking that since I'm looking at some lengthy road trips in the springtime, it might be more comfortable since the R1150r's downward angled seat crushes my nutz so I wear a cup on longer trips.
Assuming a test ride felt good, would you take this plunge, why or why not?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Would you consider a 2002 Fat Boy as a second bike, why or why not?

Post by sjbmw »

Get a sergeant seat for your R. Will solve the long trips. I got 150 miles a day on the stock seat. My record on a Sargent is 680 miles in 1 day.
Could not give me a Harley. The suspension and brakes are right out of the 1970s.
My Harley friends lead the way in the most awful stat: dropping the bike without hitting or being hit by anyone.
1 event involved a "slick yellow line" on the road. No joke. He laid it down when he lost traction on the yellow paint.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

OPINION TIME:
As far as long distance riding; I have a 2007 R1200R, Corbin seat and Ohlins shocks and it rides better than my Honda Valkyrie (similar to Road King suspension wise) which is twice as heavy than the Beemer. The Valk has aftermarket suspension but it doesn't come close to the Beemer for long days in the saddle. I've done many 1,000 mile days and have been coast to coast four times. The big Valkyrie might be better riding the slabs across the center of the Country but I wouldn't want to (or enjoy) pushing that big hunk of iron through the mountains, the Beemer rides almost as well on the slabs (with almost $2K aftermarket suspension) and is a joy in the mountains.
Reliability: It's a wash. I have a lot of friends with Harleys and they are just as reliable as BMWs as long as you use them for what they were designed for. They are a heavy touring bike, not a sport bike, a drag bike or a dual sport bike they can be equipped easily with luggage for two and are a comfortable platform for two up touring. When Harley has a problem they seem to address it immediately unlike Beemer that puts you off with 'they all do that'.(IE: rear drive failures and fuel strips on the R1200Rs)
That said, the Twin Cam Engine (in the 02 Fat Boy) had issues with the cam drives. There are aftermarket kits to correct it, you might want to inquire if the cam issue has been addressed.
Don't judge Harley (the machine) on the skill of the rider, a skilled Harley rider on a twisty road will leave many Euro bike riders in the dust.
Other things: That price isn't such a great deal, in the cold months you might be able to move up to something newer (fuel injection) in the same price range. Again unlike Beemer, Harley nailed it with fuel injection the first year out, no surging or starting problems just hit the button and go. I recently bought a Sportster (last Harley was in 1962) because it was a great deal and find it a fine motorcycle. The amount of torque out of that V-twin in the lower RPMs is impressive although there isn't a lot on top (but you don't usually go there on a Hog), definitely fun to ride..Down side was an ungodly loud aftermarket exhaust system, easily replaced because so many stock systems are out there for sale. I picked up a whole stock system (front to back) almost new for $55.
Other Other things :) As far as the 'twins' being uncomfortable, I've found briefs with 10% spandex keeps things in their proper location (landing gear up and locked).

Sorry about lengthy answer put it's 15 degrees out and I'm retired (nothing to do).

2011 Soortster 4K miles $4K, their giving them away

I don't think the Beemers like having 'That Bike' in the garage :)

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

mogu83 wrote:the Twin Cam Engine (in the 02 Fat Boy) had issues with the cam drives.
Thank you for the detailed post, this is very helpful. I will certainly ask about the cam drives, thanks again and happy new year.
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

never. fat boy does nothing different than an R. and certainly doesnt do it better. unless noise and discomfort is the mark youre trying to hit.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
MThomas

Post by MThomas »

So then you would get another R as a backup bike? ... I guess it would be good for part swapping when needed
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
AndyfromPoland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by AndyfromPoland »

To the original question, no because I only have use for 1 bike, and the R1200GS fits the bill for everything I ever do.
Member #69
Feeding the Rat