Streetguard 4 (2018) Jacket

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Streetguard 4 (2018) Jacket

Post by riceburner »

Has anyone on the forum got one of these jackets?

I picked one up at a 40% off discount this weekend, and until this morning I was very happy with it.

Today's wet morning commute (100 minutes of England Wet) and the outer pockets are both "damp". I tend to keep my wallet in the outer pocket (for ease of access in petrol stations) so I was not happy.

Very tempted to take it back and see if I can get a replacement. (I was assured that the warranty was still completely valid despite it being a sale item).

I'm going back to the BMW dealership anyway because I need a new pair of over-trousers - my 8 year old BMW over trousers have finally given up. 8 years is bloody good lifetime for over trousers so I'm happy to buy BMW again. Cheapo overtrousers I've used in the past last about a year, maybe two.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Streetguard 4 (2018) Jacket

Post by riceburner »

OK - BMW came through and replaced the jacket with a brand new, out of the box, 2019 jacket in the same size. :D (worth almost twice what I paid).

Sometimes you do actually get good customer service from BMW, and it's very nice when it happens. :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Good to hear. Sounds like your dealer values you as a good customer!
Buckster '03R
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Buckster wrote:Good to hear. Sounds like your dealer values you as a good customer!

Even though they dealer principle has changed, and the staff has cycled completely (at least twice) since I started, they're still very good to me, especially after they check my history on their CRM system.... ;)

(I've spent a fair bit there over the years!)

FWIW I'm not utterly convinced this new jacket has water-proof outer pockets......
Have been caught in the rain once, but didn't check the pockets until the next day, and realise it had been hung up in a damp room (a bathroom), so even though the pockets were damp again, it might have been just because it was in a damp room overnight.

But I think I'll get a chance to find out this week......
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Just an update for anyone else....

Currently my 3rd Streetguard (a 2019, brand new) is hanging up with one dry pocket, and one utterly sodden outer pocket. New one (on warranty) on order from Germany.

I really don't want to be replacing the thing everytime it rains - nor do I want to live with a jacket that has leaky pockets - but it's the ONLY feature of the jacket that is unsatisfactory!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Jacket no 4 is here!

So far so good. (mind you today's light flecking was hardly a test - didn't even get my trousers wet)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

I'm guessing the leaking pocket is design feature intended to promote customer-dealer relationship. There are actually only 3 such jackets in your area, carefully cleaned and renewed each time you return it, to be exchanged for one of the others. Suggest you place secret identifier inside each version so you can keep track. And Zip-Lok bags are your friend.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:I'm guessing the leaking pocket is design feature intended to promote customer-dealer relationship. There are actually only 3 such jackets in your area, carefully cleaned and renewed each time you return it, to be exchanged for one of the others. Suggest you place secret identifier inside each version so you can keep track. And Zip-Lok bags are your friend.
You may be onto something..... I'm currently eyeing up a pair of All-Round boots....

However - it does mean I get my jacket cleaned for free. :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Just an update.

Jacket 4 went back to the dealership yesterday with, you guessed it, leaky pockets!

I think the seal on the "waterproof" zips* opens up when the jacket rumples itself as you sit on the bike, and the flap of material over the zip is just right to funnel water into the (opened) seal material.

* the zip has a rubberised material over the top that comes together as the zip is closed. I'd call it "splashproof", no more.

Probably going to just get my money back this time, life's too short.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Update, if anyone is interested?

A week or so ago I got a call telling me that they couldn't find any more Streetguard 4 jackets to replace the 4th one, so they were going to replace it with one of the new Pace Guard Tour jackets.

Great, I thought. :D

So, I went down and tried a few on until I found one that actually fitted me (the Streetguard had a very weird sizing - I was comfy in a 46, which, theoretically is 4 or 6 sizes too small for me (I'm a 42" chest in a business suit)). The Pace Guard I ended up in was a 50 - which again, 'should' be too small, but it fitted nicely. Theoretically, I should be a 52 in EU sizing systems, but BMW seem to only vaguely follow those sizings.

But it was only as I rode home that evening (Friday), freezing my butt off* (in relatively mild weather), despite wearing a decent fleece under the jacket that I realised the Pace Guard Tour is NOT a direct replacement for the Streetguard.
Specifically - no thermal lining of ANY sort, which makes the Pace Guard Tour a summer only jacket - the Streetguard had a fantastic removable softshell thermal inner which made it a full 4-season jacket, AND a removable storm collar.

So - the next morning I packed the jacket up into a pannier, and took it back.

Obviously with the current situation there is minimal staffing in the dealerships, and the department head (who is the one who ratified the swap) wasn't in on Saturday, so I have to try to get through to him today to 'officially' request my refund.

To be honest, I'm not terribly impressed, the one saving grace is that I'm unlikely to be doing a lot of daily commuting in the next year or so, so a tri-laminate 'shake-dry' jacket is less of a requirement. (I'll need something to replace my too-large, tired Rukka at some point, but it can wait a bit).

* The fingers of my right hand actually went white, despite having the heated grips on - I've NEVER had that happen in 40 years of riding, some of it in VERY cold weather. No idea if it was the jacket's fault (apart from having no liner) but the cuff adjustment did seem to pinch the wrist a lot.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life