Thanks for the memories guys from DJ Downunder

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Thanks for the memories guys from DJ Downunder

Post by DJ Downunder »

Since getting a final warning from Doug because of my 'New RR' post and the girl with the tat..btw..sorry if that offended anyone..I didn't think anything of it.

I'm considering making this my last post.....sorry Doug...I know it's your site and you're the boss here...and we need to play by your rules.

After buying my RR in 01..I knew very little about computers and boxerboy showed me this site one day at work...I knew I had to join in.

I bought myself a laptop computer and got the Internet connected just so I could get onto this site...it was sooo good.

Soon after I bought myself a cheap digital camera so I could post a pic..I got my own web space worked out..and the ball was rolling.

Looking back now I've posted well over a thousand pics...and each of my great ride pics often included a pic of me..don't know why I did that.

These pics bring back some great memories and I hope they do for you guys too...I know there's a few of the older members still around.

One of my first great rides was the Great Ocean Road...this was the last of the pics....me having a cold coke after a long hot ride.

Marysville pub after doing the Black Spur ride.

Just got home..hands still shaking after another great ride.

Last ride for the year..new years eve ride..couple of years back.

Naked bikes need to be ridden naked...the bike I mean...yes I had my shorts on...I think.

A local bike show a few years back.

This was the ride where I ended getting a ride on the new Honda Rune.

Boxerboy and Ian and a ride in the local hills.

Rim stickers looked great at night.

Having a Kawasaki sandwich at a day at the bike races with marko.

Just received my new plate.

Veal Parmas and another cold drink at the Flowerdale pub was another great ride.

At the beach and my pics showing how to pick up a fallen bike.

Arthur's seat ride was another goodie.

This was at the end of my Cape Schanck ride.

Flinders ride was another hot one.

Mount Buffalo was a biggie.

Testing the new SuperDuke was great.

Checking out the other Roadster...mmmm!

New camera and another bike show.

Philip Island and another couple of RR board members.

Another RR member from the other side of the world...Les was in Melbourne.

The Fosters girls in the city a few weeks back.

The last Hotham ride was a hoot...yes that's my coke on the table.

The big BMW invite..and the new K1200GT

That's all..last pic at the giant worm near Philip Island.

Well I'm sure you guys have seen enough of my ugly head and my black RR with no can and funny little fly screen.

And have a Merry Christmas everyone...and ride safe.

DJ
LesKoh
Basic User

Post by LesKoh »

David, let me be the first to say that it'll be a sad day for (almost) all of us here should you decide to take your leave from this board. It's been, and probably still is to a certain extent, the best bike-specific forum around that caters to each and everyone of us who have had the great fortune of owning/riding this beauty of a bike. The warm camaraderie and friendships that have been built through this board speak volumes about the folk that spend their precious time holding court on this forum - helping fellow RR riders in need of assistance, answering questions of all nature, sharing glorious pics of their recent rides allowing us to feel the excitement of THE RIDE, providing life-saving tips and tricks, etc. and on and on.... I was fortunate to have been able to catch up with our venerable Man-with-a-Cam, DJ, in Melbourne and I'll always be grateful for his warm hospitality and friendship. I can safely say that he's every bit the stand-up guy that I'm sure all of us here on the board can make him out to be through this posts. Even though I moved on to a R12GS and a newer Roadster K12R, I still paid my dues to stay on and support this board as I still do feel a certain kinship with everyone here. It's been sad to see the twists and turns of late that has taken away some of the fun and warmth this board has always provided. Although I don't quite agree with the direction the forum's taken, it's still Doug's 'home' so to speak, and I'm still a guest here - yes, a registered and paying guest, but essentially, still a guest. And as such, I abide by his rules, but not without a tinge of sadness that I've lost some the eagerness and warm fuzzy feeling I used to get sitting down to check on the latest news from the RR 'hood.

DJ, if we don't hear from you here again, take care, buddy, and ride safe. (Yes, I will look you up again when I make my way Down Under. I'm going to hold you to your offer to check out all the bike shops on Elizabeth St. and do the Great Ocean Road ride.) Have a great Christmas.

Les.
Member #341
12bar1
Lifer

Post by 12bar1 »

DJ, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you in person but from what I have seen here I believe we would get along well. I have always enjoyed your stories and pictures, which by the way have never offended me. If you decide to leave, this board will have lost a most colorful and entertaining member. Ride safe and have a very Merry Christmas if you are ever in the states and happen to be in Florida look me up and I will show you my part of the world.
Yer wanted by the police and my wife thinks your dead.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Sending you an email DJ.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

oh and I suppose someone needs to say it.......

[X] Belongs in Off-Topic

:roll:
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

I am definitely gonna miss the pics. I share them (most of them) w/ my wife and daughter. I show them fun rides and the great country you live in. Anyway, hopefully all this poo will get sorted out and you will continue to post.

Bill
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Nice recap DJ!
I think what Doug is trying to tell you is that you're not supposed to post the pics inline. You need a link posted to click on for the pics.

Like this:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~djp1/mypic1542.jpg

Maybe he's also offended by the girlie pics. I dunno. But it's his call and we can all get along with just a little effort to remember his house rules.

Sorry for the mini-speech. I'm not really a speech person. I just didn't want you to have the wrong idea. Of course I may be all WRONG too. Not sure.

At any rate, I hope the new year brings more good news from down under and you hang in there with us. After all, we are planning on the bash at your place for next year. :D
kbc68
Lifer

Post by kbc68 »

...sorry to see you go Dave! I think ,I barely got to know ya !
Your wisdom ,
input ,
constant info on the lastest bikes
Australia... your homeland !!
The awesome pictures ,of the land
beach, twisty roads,cool resturants,
scenic places
The Girls ...the girls (pics of course) :D
I know there's more too add
Take care ! May you have nothing ,but safe journeys
on RR and many of them

BYE !!! DJ Downunder :( :smt039 :smt039
2004 Silver R1150R abs

KeV !
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Quite honestly,
I don't quite understand why there are soooo many folks visiting R1150R.org,
who find themselves so easily offended by being asked to play by the rules.

Popular though they may be, entertaining as their posts are, is it so much
to ask (repeatedly) that members place their posts in the appropriate forums?
-------------------------------------------
I just came from another message board where two complete threads were
deleted..... simply because they were not relevant to the intended purpose
of the site. The threads were entertaining, at nobody's expense, and well
received.
This happens often at that site. It is of academic curiosity why the members
of THAT site, are NOT quick to whine, complain, or threaten to leave and go elsewhere,
but that members (BMW owners?) of this site can be so easily offended when
asked to post appropriately.
-------------------------------------------
I have watched members cycle into and out of this site for a few years now.
There are those of us who will soon be cycling out of the loop, only to be
replaced with the enthusiasm of new Rock & Roadster owners.
That's what happens in life, and it's not a bad thing.
I already find myself reading the new F800ST site, and I am learning all
that I can on a variety of Triumph sites.

'R1150R' has had a good run, and as long as this WONDERFUL motorcycle is
around, the site will continue with the strength and friendly decorum that
has made it a pleasant place to visit. Like DJ and others before him,
I may be doing one of two things.....
either focus my attention elsewhere, or cold turkey my four year addiction to
motorcycle message boards. A "new year's resolution" as such.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My closing suggestion for this site would be as follows:
Moderators need to be MORE pro-active, actually police'ing the site more
aggressively, quick to move or delete inappropriate posts. If this approach
brings about the same responses/reactions as has been of late, then sadly.......
I would accuse the very nature of Roadster owners as that of whiners who
have grown accustom to getting their own way. I would like to think otherwise,
but that is yet to be determined if/when the Mod's actively take back the site.
Member #31
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

DJ,

not knowing what Doug said to you specifically, I am thinking along the lines of boxer.

If we're posting incorrectly, then we should be told so. If someone repeatedly does it, and causes more work for the mods, then that someone should have to ride naked whilst holding a cold can of beer(or coke!) between the thighs and 'neath the jewels for a total of 1 mile or 2.2 kms, whichever comes first.

Video must be shown as proof, with 'blurry' spots over the nether regions to protect the innocent.

:lol:

So it is said, and so it shall be written!
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

DJ, I am sorry you have an issue with posting correctly - I think I've directed you to the posting guidelines a couple times now. If you simply do not know HOW to post correctly, just let me know and I'm glad to help.

Regardless, is this a reason to leave :?:

PS - nice pics!
Member #1
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Doug wrote:DJ, I am sorry you have an issue with posting correctly - I think I've directed you to the posting guidelines a couple times now. If you simply do not know HOW to post correctly, just let me know and I'm glad to help.

Regardless, is this a reason to leave :?:

PS - nice pics!
As it goes - I'd be interested to know exactly what rules DJ broke - was it the girl? was it the pics inline with the threads? (if it was that then saying "Nice pics" in your post is kind of odd). Was it posting threads on R1100R not "Off-topic"?

Just pointing people at the posting rules is going to counter-productive though , it 's easier just to say : THIS example is what not to do. If you see my meaning?

without a clear example of what's "bad" then other posters are going to break the same rules without knowing that they're doing something wrong. Obviously DJ doesn't know exactly what he's done wrong because otherwise he wouldn't have done it!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
whaycoc
Lifer

Post by whaycoc »

Is it really that complicated to understand that we are trying to have people post their pictures via a link? Pictures on the forum eat up bandwidth and storage space at a rate that will keep increasing the cost to operate this forum - on many forums, two that I work in, images are not even allowed! There are numerous web site that will give you free image upload and storage capability - upload your pics there and provide a link to them here - if needed, I will be happy to post a list of free image upload sites.

I know I will miss your postings Dave - good luck and drop back once in a while to let us know how things are going for you.

I am in error somewhat on the image thing - my apologies! :oops:
Last edited by whaycoc on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Haycock - Member #78
Huntsville, AL

Post by Guest »

DJ
Take some time to think it over. Many of us look foward to your posts.
It won't be the same without them.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

whaycoc wrote:Is it really that complicated to understand that we are trying to have people post their pictures via a link? Pictures on the forum eat up bandwidth and storage space at a rate that will keep increasing the cost to operate this forum - on many forums, two that I work in, images are not even allowed! There are numerous web site that will give you free image upload and storage capability - upload your pics there and provide a link to them here - if needed, I will be happy to post a list of free image upload sites.

I know I will miss your postings Dave - good luck and drop back once in a while to let us know how things are going for you.
I see what you're saying - and if thems the rules, then them's the rules.... so why isn't Doug berating DJ for doing it (yet) again (which he isn't actually doing - he's NOT having his pictures hosted on the R1150R server - it's hosted remotely - he's just using clever code to make his image appear inline - by using the [ img ] tags my browser is the part of the system that goes looking for the image - not R115R's) , and is instead saying... "Nice Pics btw"

can you see why we're a bit confused?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

DJ,

i just noticed...you had orange sunglasses to match the Duke during your test ride!

ha, good show!
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Deano

Post by Deano »

whaycoc wrote:Is it really that complicated to understand that we are trying to have people post their pictures via a link? Pictures on the forum eat up bandwidth and storage space at a rate that will keep increasing the cost to operate this forum - on many forums, two that I work in, images are not even allowed!
If you are referring to the policies recently posted by Doug at the top of this forum, then I would have to say yes, it is a bit complicated, in that the issue of using links is clearly mentioned only in the context of material “being offensive”. If the means of posting images, any images, is a key point, then perhaps it should be spelled out more clearly? Or is there another policy narrative that addresses this issue?
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

If you are referring to the policies recently posted by Doug at the top of this forum, then I would have to say yes, it is a bit complicated, in that the issue of using links is clearly mentioned only in the context of material “being offensive”. If the means of posting images, any images, is a key point, then perhaps it should be spelled out more clearly? Or is there another policy narrative that addresses this issue?
Deano,
I think what we have here is a case of growing pains. The board has become so large and unmanageable so fast, it must be very difficult to keep up with everything. We have folks running the place who also are busy running their lives, etc. And what was sufficient for a core group to understand and live by has become laborious and confusing to all this mass of newer registrants and visitors.

It's still a real nice place to hang out and learn about this great bike and I suspect there are some changes in the works. But the biggest thing for us to adjust to right now is what we may perceive as "befuddlement" is just the management trying their damnedest (izat a word?) to keep it all straight.

BTW, I keep getting you confused with that Arizona trouble-maker we have here. :D

Oh and I'm sorry for the hijack DJ! Carry-on!
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

DJ, Just want you to know that I really enjoy your posts, and your pictures are always great. I for one am going to miss your input should you decide to leave. Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
Mike UK
Lifer

Post by Mike UK »

DJ,

it will be a very sad day if you leave. I have found your posts extremely entertaining, which are written with feeling and spirit that only other bikers can relate to.

I think I have most of your pictures saved on my PC and I like to view them as often as I can because those sunny days, blue skies ocean vistas and endless beaches keep me going through the British winter.

Apart from this you seem to access those sites we cannot find giving us all a broader view on motorcycling as well as a heads up on new BMW releases which we all enjoy and benefit from. In other words you like to surf "off piste!!"

If for nothing else but my sanity please stay on the board (I'm not on my knees begging but will consider it!!).

DJ,

have a Merry Christmas with a barbie on the beach and a tinnie of ice cold Fosters!!

Mike in the UK