Passenger comfort information

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

crousos
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Passenger comfort information

Post by crousos »

Especially compared to the 1150R, any input appreciated.

Tinos
Silverr
Basic User

Re: Passenger comfort information

Post by Silverr »

I have had passengers on both bikes and passenger comfort has been about the same. They seem to have alot more fun on the K12 tho :wink:
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

The passenger comfort is a big issue with me when looking at bikes.

The K1200R was going to be my next bike (and still might be)..but I found the passenger comfort not good..in fact bad.

I took a friend on the back of the KR when I had a loaner (two days)..she has had many all day rides on the back of my RR without a problem.

She found the KR seat not comfy at all and was often sliding forward..and wiggling from side to side (cheek to cheek)..as was I.

We have a couple in our BMW club that ride together a lot on their KR..I'm going to ask them what they think..maybe it's something you get used to.

DJ
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

My wife says the KR is about the same as the RR. She did notice the sliding forward action. I will probably be getting a Sargent seat, if they ever make one for the KR. Everybody's ass is different, I don't think the KR seat is all that comfy for the rider either??!!
Bill
'07 R1200RT
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

I have had two different regular pillion riders to give comparative opinions on both my RR and KR.

One liked the panache and speed of the KR better, but admitted she was more comfortable on the RR. Biggest complaint against the KR was the sliding forward on nearly all stops. Passengers have to reach around and put a hand on the tank for support in all but smooth riding to the point of passive riding.

The other one initially liked the KR better for comfort, but I had forgotten to adjust the tension on the RR the first ride or two. After I cranked up the support a full two turns, she liked the RR as well or better. She could also tell right away if I hadn't gone into the two helmet mode on the automatic ride adjustment on the KR, which she much preferred.

The more important issue for me however, is my comfort. All that sliding forward gets old fairly quickly on the KR and they both tend to be crowding and leaning on me on the KR. For anything over an hour, I definitely like two up better on my RR with the Sargent seat. BTW I have lowered the passenger pegs on both bikes, which the passenger with bad knees appreciates.
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer
crousos
Lifer

Post by crousos »

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely getting one.

Tinos
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

=D>
Bill
'07 R1200RT
elementfmfl
Basic User

Post by elementfmfl »

Tinos- I think you where looking at my K, my wife loves the ride, but she has decided to get her liscense so I am free to go with a solo saddle
crousos
Lifer

its finally here

Post by crousos »

I finally got it, my new to me Yellow/Black K1200R, I went for a 2 hour ride yesterday afternoon and I am still smiling ear to ear!!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~costasr/front.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~costasr/back.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~costasr/back2.JPG

again thanks everybody for all the good info!

Tinos
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Lookin' good...congrats....I love the Yellow and black... :smt023

I was at my dealer today..there's one there with my name on it..black with belly pan and can...I'll just have to keep buying those lotto tickets.. :(

DJ
crousos
Lifer

Post by crousos »

OK, after a 2+ hour ride last Friday my wife loved the K1200R, she thought the it was about the same but she felt that there was more space between us.

Tinos
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

Can you get passenger tail-section handrails for the R1200R like those on crousos's K ? http://home.comcast.net/~costasr/back.JPG
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
crousos
Lifer

Post by crousos »

good question, but I am not really sure. I had those on my R1150R also and they are really helpful for the passenger.

Tinos
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

My wife says the K12R is ok for 100-150K's before a break, the R12ST and R1150R was better apparently....

I use a ventura bag rack on mine (which can be used with the pannier kit fitted) and she finds that easier to grip as it's a little higher.

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
dwayne
Lifer

Re: its finally here

Post by dwayne »

crousos wrote:I finally got it, my new to me Yellow/Black K1200R, I went for a 2 hour ride yesterday afternoon and I am still smiling ear to ear!!!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~costasr/front.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~costasr/back.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~costasr/back2.JPG

again thanks everybody for all the good info!

Tinos
I am actually iseriously looking at trading my RR in on the exact same colour, a brand new 2006 K1200R
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
robpendle
Basic User

Post by robpendle »

My wife was complaining about the comfort after about 2 hours and said that the K1200R is much less comfortable for her than the 1200GS. Which is a shame as I find the saddle on the K12R to be much more comfortable for me on a long journey than the GS one - I suspect because on the GS the upright seating position means most of your weight is on your backside :oops:
Rob
'05 R1200GS
'07 K1200R
hass
Basic User

Re: its finally here

Post by hass »

dwayne wrote:I am actually iseriously looking at trading my RR in on the exact same colour, a brand new 2006 K1200R
Don't forget to test rtide a R12R first! :roll:
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

So far I have only taken my 16 year old daughter riding on my KR and I found the only way to make her more comfortable (i.e., avoiding the scooting forward) is for me to sit further back so she could have the stability of my back. It made it much more comfortable for her, but less for me since I prefer a bit more forward seating for the corners.

I love my K-R, but after a lot of consideration I have to say it is far better suited, at least in my case, for 1 up riding.

Still.. I could try it more too and get more used to it I imagine.

COH (Rich)
Thunder Grey 2010 S1000RR "The Beast" (sold)
Metallic Red Apple 2011 R1200R
Member #494