The Deal Has Been Done

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

BigEasy
Lifer

The Deal Has Been Done

Post by BigEasy »

Well after 4 months of begging SWMBO, jumping through hoops and much research I have pulled the trigger on my first BMW- Here she is in the birthing process Image
Needless to say I am fired up, the dealer is supposed to send assembly photos as he gets them. My hope is to pick her up next Friday
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by DJ Downunder »

Beautiful....Congrats.. :smt023...and welcome aboard.

DJ
AllanCook
Lifer

Post by AllanCook »

Great photos! Enjoy your first BMW. You picked the best one.
Allan
Austin
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Best of luck with the new bike ---- Enjoy :D
wkincaid
Basic User

Post by wkincaid »

Congratulations!! You'll love it. Keep us posted on the farkles...

Bill
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

You're going to love it.
Mark
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

Gr@z!

Hope you have a long season there - mine will soon be over :(
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Great photos. What's interesting to me - is how the factory ties it down for transport. Everyone I've seen talk about tying down a telelever bike talks about tying it down to the wishbone, which only leaves the tires to compress and provide some upward tension. It also makes for a small triangle.

The factory apparently ties it down at the headstock? Or on the bars (it's not too clear from the photos) - and then compresses the suspension (I can tell by the amount of fork tube exposed - it has about 2" of compression on it.) This is how I would think the bikes should be tied down - but the "common wisdom" says otherwise. Since I've seen this - I think I'll go with the factory technique if it's ever needed.

Interesting..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I like the low slung look of the bike when it is compressed like that.
Mark
BackNBlack
Basic User

Post by BackNBlack »

Congrats! You'll love the bike - if you didn't know that already...
R1200R!
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

Thanks for the good wishes guys. I guess I'm what the market/demographic folks would call a re-entry rider, I rode back in the 70's and 80's when I was you youngster, I haven't owned a bike for about 20 years. I have gotten to ride on occasion but recently I reevaluated my decision not to own a bike and this is the result. :lol:

Don, since this is my first BMW, and I have only trailered a bike a couple of times, I didn't think about tie down technique. Those 2 photos give the best shot of how the tie downs were attached of the photo's the dealer sent. I would think your assessment is correct; tieing off to the arm and utilizing only the tire would not give the best up force tension to keep the bike in place over uneven roads.

I will likely have to trailer this girl home because the dealer is 3 hours away, we do not even have a dealer in Indianapolis. I am curently working on a project that puts the dealer between me and home so at least I may not have to make a special trip to get her. I'll take some more photos and post them up once I pick her up.
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Nice ride ! Congratulations on the beauty. You will love this machine.

Only suggestion: Ride her home... it is a major felony to trailer a BMW, and especially an R1200R. Besides, you would be half way to the 600 mle service point after that ride!

Doug
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

I fully agree about the trailer ride, I really don't care for trailer queens at all, I have only trailered a bike once and that was at my mothers request-long story. This trailer ride however is a function of time, convience and eagerness. Due to my work schedule if I don't pick her up on my way home next week it'll likely be October before I could make the trip and I can't stand that :lol: