iLust

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

iLust

Post by DSKYZD »

JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Hmmm....A computer in a thong.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

As much as I hate to admit, Apple is doing good by 'slimming' down the personal computer. That's one thing that hasn't really been improved upon (except for Apple) is the amount of cables and mess an IBM compatible pc makes.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

My ex-wife's iMac is simpler than that: wireless keyboard and mouse. The only "wire" is the power cable - most impressive.

mac
ScooterCop
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by ScooterCop »

2004 R1150R ABS
2004 Piaggio BV200 (for work use only!!!)
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Brian,

I lust too.....but there are some realities in life and one of the most important is HEAT MANAGEMENT.

These all-in-one computers sucumb to failed components, power supplies, et al, due to close packing and poor heat removal.....been there, I'm sure you have too.

Used to own one that the only way to keep it running was if I let the garden hose trickle on the electronics......finally gave up, drilled som holes and used it as a sprinkler, my neighbors thought I was crazy.......the last parragraph is a bit of my well known levity. :lol: :lol:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Brian - that's the setup we went to at Christmas, except, like Michael's ex, we have wireless keyboard and mouse! Pretty slick! And no heat issue failures yet! I like it!

We just bought the wife a Macbook, which will be our traveling machine!

Boxermania - if the all-in-one desktops have such heat issues, why don't laptops have the same issues? I don't think I will go to the extreme of drilling holes in my beautiful iMac! :wink:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Van,

That is a fair question.......I have an Acer, my companion for 11 months while stationed in Tokyo, with many miles, and exposed to the local 100 VAC supply and never had any problems. I do reiterate of several heat related component failures in some of the compact packaged desktops!!!!

On the laptop, by elevating the back end, there was ample room for the enclosed fan to vent with little obstruction.....

Van 1......Al 0........ :lol: :lol:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

Laptops do frequently have heat related issues. A lot of the time the hard drive is the first thing to go. Years ago more machine had those little feet that popped out to prop up the rear of the laptop and let air circulate.

Here's the new wireless apple keyboard:

You sacrifice a normal numeric keypad and arrow keys but it should be easier to hold in your lap away from the computer desk.
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

I wonder what it would look like if the Apple designer (Jonathan Ive) designed a motorcycle? I think I'd want one. :D
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

Mac is the only way to go. I use to hate the things; 'til I used one. By the way, since I started using a Mac I've forgotten how to use anti-virus software...since a Mac doesn't need it :P Oh ya, and what is a computer virus again :lol:
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
JCsman
Lifer

Post by JCsman »

I've never had, or used (except for one VERY limited exposure) a MAC. Since my office, as with most others is non-Mac oriented it made a lot of sense.

But those walls seem to be crumbling fast. I might have to try this out, especially since our teenager is up for a new box.

(Side note: DSKYZD - your new avatar - yikes - creeps me out!)
- Bill #438, Lifetime
If I'm going to grow up, I'd better hurry.....oh well.
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

JCsman wrote:...Since my office, as with most others is non-Mac oriented it made a lot of sense.
I'm actually in the process of converting our entire business network to Mac. Client machines first, server last. Most of the applications found today for serious business use are Java based...AccPac for one. The only problem I'm having is with the Engineering department, that is reluctant to give up AutoCad... which IMHO is a horrible piece of software. There are better alternatives to AutoCad, it's just converting the minions. MS Office is available for Mac, which I need for Excel since there is no other spreadsheet program, IMHO as good as Excel especially since I do programming in Excel which I can also do on the Mac. Neat!
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

MS Office on the Mac is better than the PC version, and I have not had any compatibility issues for over 3 years.

I have been a Mac guy since the late 80s.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

Biff's R wrote:MS Office on the Mac is better than the PC version, and I have not had any compatibility issues for over 3 years.

I have been a Mac guy since the late 80s.
Yes it is isn't it. I noticed that the latest version of the PC version of Office is nice, with a lot of eye-candy. Almost as good as Office 2004 for Mac :P
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

When we bought our Mac and Office software, they told me they sell more versions of Office worldwide in Mac than PC! Ours works great!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

JCsman, Regarding my avatar, google "duct tape bandit" :lol:

dwayne, Taking AutoCAD away from your Engineering department is like taking WordPerfect away from the Legal department. They'll hate you forever. I'd be interested in a thread where you outline more details of how your migration went/is going and what you offer your Engineering folks as a replacement.
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
garylspolar
Lifer

Post by garylspolar »

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Oh my... time to upgrade to the latest ipod.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
DSKYZD
Lifer

Post by DSKYZD »

Does anyone know if the Touch has built in speakers. It doesn't appear to. Probably a trade off for being so thin.

So the iPod Touch is an iPhone with out the phone AND speakers AND dedicated email application AND ...

Web browsing and the ability to purchase music from the device are pretty slick features though.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Post by Shaman »

DSKYZD wrote:So the iPod Touch is an iPhone with out the phone AND speakers AND dedicated email application AND ...
and without the requirement to go with AT&T phone service.