Pillion

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mclintoc
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Pillion

Post by Mclintoc »

When my wife rides with me, she slides against me when I slow or stop. I've decided that this is because the pillion is at an incline.

To fix the problem (1) I am thinking about getting a luggage rack and and a bag so that she can lean against that, or (2) I am thinking about getting a custom seat (corbin or sargent) with a backrest.

I'd rather not get the custom seat just because of price, but I'm not sure the luggage will solve the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you suggest?

Thanks.
R1150R Rockster
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Yeah, my passangers are always sliding forward too. And it's not just during braking, but the bouncing from bumps also gradually inches them forward.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking of getting a wedge of high density foam, taking the seat cover off, sticking the wedge in (near the front), to get the seat more flat or even slightly saddle shaped. I'm sure you could find an upholstery shop that would be willing to do that for you for cheap.
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
Trapper
Basic User

Post by Trapper »

Not sure if you can get them in the states, but I recently bought one of these: http://www.triboseat.com/

It completely stops your pillion from sliding about. Even under un-planned heavy braking my wife doesn't slip forward. :D

It's made from something similar to what we call wonderweb. It's cut to size and hemmed, with a drawstring to enable a simple (5 mins) fitting. It looks good when fitted, and it works.

Not sure how tough it will be, but before I bought it I tried to tear some wonderweb and it was surprisingly difficult. In case you call it something else, wonderweb is the stuff you put under rugs when they're laid on a polished floor - to stop them sliding about.

As far as the triboseat goes - as we say over here - it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Cheers
Trapper

Black '04 R1150R
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

It's a common thing on any bike..that grippy stuff is the way to go.

Or buy the tall comfort seat for the rear..It's more raised at the front..I have one and it also feels good for the rider to push back against.

DJ
cadhopper
Basic User

Post by cadhopper »

Is the tall comfort seat something that's available through BMW?
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Is the tall comfort seat something that's available through BMW?
Yes it is...I'll post a few pics tonight so you can see what it looks like.

DJ
telliott
Basic User

Post by telliott »

Trapper wrote:Not sure if you can get them in the states, but I recently bought one of these: http://www.triboseat.com/

It completely stops your pillion from sliding about. Even under un-planned heavy braking my wife doesn't slip forward. :D

Cheers
I just checked their website and here is the info. They show an American flag and post in US $. So it looks like they will sell and ship it here.

Triboseat,R1150R 2001-2005, TBS 95 Triboseat,R1150R 2001-2005, TBS 95

Qty 1

Cost
$22.23 (ex Tax: $18.92) (+ Delivery: $6.07)

Sub Total: $18.92

Delivery: $6.07

Tax @ 17.5%: $3.32

Total: $28.30
Terry
'03 - Silver R1150R
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Here's the BMW comfort pillion seat.

DJ

cadhopper
Basic User

Post by cadhopper »

Thanks for the pictures. Man, that an awfully clean bike, do you ever ride it? Just kidding..... :lol: