Should I buy a R1150R or not?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Buy a R1150R OR NOT?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:49 am

YES
94%
NO
6%

Total votes: 33

snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Re: Thanks everyone!

Post by snowprick »

raya wrote:By the way the bikes blue.
Dont worry it would not cost much to have it painted black. :D
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
Blondi
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Blondi »

snowprick wrote:
Not ..... Blues ones are best! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2002 R1150R (A Blue one!)
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

Blondi wrote:
snowprick wrote:
Not ..... Blues ones are best! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I see a blue bike and I want it painted black.
No colors anymore, I want them to turn black...
Black as night,
Black as coal!
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted
BLACK!
(sorry Mick... :twisted: )
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
FordPrefect
Basic User

Post by FordPrefect »

I just purchased mine on Craig’s list a few months ago 2004 R1150R w/ABS, heated grips, with 3500 miles, for $6500.00, had a slight stain on the left side front end, it was parked next to a burning garage…since then I have installed a new sport fairing, PIAA 1100X fog lights, 2 row of LED license plate frame which acts as running lights and stop lights, bike is now much more visible. I own other BMW’s 1960’s, 1970’s this one is by far one of the most smooth riding bike I ever owned, I would definitely recommend buying one to any of my friends. I like 2004 R1150R (heavier) more then the new 2007 R1200R (lighter, heated grips, heated seat, ABS) and I could afford the buy the new model but I hate the way the new gas tank looks, and where they put the oil cooler, the BMW design team on that particular model should all be fired. We will see what they do on the next model year, heard they are coming out with a new engine, more power (perhaps as quick as a the K1200R), now if they can just get the design right, no crazy colors, no asymmetrical lights, and I wish they go with a dual exhaust system.

If you can get one with low miles and ABS, w/heated grips for about $6500.00, do it, you will not regret it, and you can make this model lighter, just as light as the 2007 R1200R for half the cost. Take your time looking for one, Craig’s List, ebay, local newspaper, and even in a forum like this…there are people that buy motorcycles and find out they really don’t want it.
raya
Basic User

Post by raya »

Made my decision and Im going for it....Take possesion of the bike this Saturday.

Tuesday's ride in the country was pretty special. Must admit that the first 30 minutes on the bike was a little strange. What is that noise when the key is turned? And the weight distribution takes a little to get use to!

First thing I hit on Tuesday morning was a traffic jam and rain. Not a great start but not the bikes fault either. The ride was immediatley impressive. No vibration that Im use to from the F650CS and smooth handling.

Took at least 20 or 30 turns to get use to the indicators on both sides of the bars. Got a little bit embarrising everytime I hit the horn instead of the indicator cancelling switch. The dealer didnt explain how this works and neither did you lot - thanks I owe you one!

Took a 305 K ride out to the dams in South East Queensland - unfortunatley no rain in the cathments and we are still in the worst drought in recorded history. Great rides out that way and I would highly recommend this part of the world to bikers, great twisties, nice long straights, good blacktop and cops who dont give a rats!

The bike took it all in its stride, managed to over take a Ducati Monster and a old Z550 on the ride and then caught up with both riders at a coffee shop on top Mount Glorious. The Monster rider took a little longer to reach the coffee shop as he had to return to the bottom of the mountain to pick up the bits that kept falling of his bike.

Love the torque and gearing as it compensates for my rubbish riding skills. I have a feeling this bike is going to teach me lots!

After the ride I was impressed on how the bike handled, excellent in bends, great on the motorway and the wife, Yvonne thought it was the best bike she had been on. (I think shes only been on three bikes!) The icing on the cake was my 15 year old daughter and 18 year old son (who are too cool for anything to do with us oldies) who thought the bike was the best thing since sliced bread and showed off the bike to their mates as they emptied my beer fridge.

After all this the bike is great, makes a lovely present for Christmas (at last something I actually want) and Yvonne is more than happy as we did go to the local jewllers and got copius amount of gold bling she wanted for christmas.

Thanks everyone for you advice and support and I look forward to being part of the R1150R fraternity (if you'll have me!)

Cheers All!

PS. Just watched the England soccer match against Croatia at Wembley, what happened? England were dismal, only started to play when Beckham was on the pitch. Once again they leave it all to one player who is special but not superman. No Euro place for England and the manager has been sacked - what a day!
Ray
Brisbane Australia

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

great to hear that you liked the bike, and will have it this weekend.

The turn signals do take a bit of getting used to.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Post by Daryl_stamp »

Asking us is like asking the Cattlemans Association if you shoud eat beef.

I love mine, MLW loves it and I haven't had any regrets about buying it.
It isn't perfect (seat), but I haven't had the urge to trade it in on anything either. A GSA or RT would be nice, but the bang for the buck on my RR is hard to beat.

DLS
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

raya wrote: Took at least 20 or 30 turns to get use to the indicators on both sides of the bars. Got a little bit embarrising everytime I hit the horn instead of the indicator cancelling switch. The dealer didnt explain how this works and neither did you lot - thanks I owe you one!
Hehe, having been used to this setup for over 20 years, it is 2nd nature (and probably the same goes for all our fellow BMW riders), so it's like reminding you that you should put the kickstand up before riding off.

The m/c press criticizes the arrangement, mainly because they ride a lot of non-BMW bikes as well, and the Roundel Company ends up being the odd-man out.
:)
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

raya

Welcome aboard.....you have made a good choice. So the story repeats itself, light pockets, bling for the missus and happiness for all.......Merry Christmas. :)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Bumblebeeman1150
Basic User

Post by Bumblebeeman1150 »

All you need to to do now is meet Ray Peake who lives out near Canungra. I'm a former 1150R owner in Brisbane and I can put you in touch with him. He's the best and most honest spannerman on BMWs you'll find anywhere.

Contact me at bumblebeeman1150 (at) hotmail.com if I can be of any help. I had mine two years and 30,000 mostly happy kilometres before being forced to sell due to a business problem. Now on a gorgeous Honda CB1300 but that's another story. But the 1150 tag stays in my e-mail address.

The 1150R is a great bike for our local roads; that front suspension is amazing in just about any circumstances, and I'm having to re-learn heavy braking as a result.

Happy travels.

Mr Bee (Peter)
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

Great stuff Raya - I love a happy ending.

As much as you like the bike now, it will continue to grow on you over time. Sounds like you have some good roads locally & you will get no end of advice on here - I was told once that you can choose only two out of three for most things in life: fast or good or cheap, but that doesn't apply here fortunately.

Enjoy yourselves.
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Congratulations raya, nice....

Mate, I too live in Brisbane and I was converted to BMW ownership 3 years ago. I usually ride primarily for pleasure, but was recently forced to wrestle my way into the city for 10 weeks of work (you know how changeable the weather has been in Brisbane during that time). 45-60 mins each way if I went "madman" and danced with the lane splitters.

Business or pleasure, it's all good!
Motorcycle+passion/ego=fleeting survival
orangebob
Basic User

Get it

Post by orangebob »

I bought a used '03 last October with 15,000 miles. I've got 22,000 and change on it now. Can't tell you much about mtce...all pretty standard stuff so far. Fast enough, good mileage, mid-range gas, handles very well...like a rock at 80+ mph!

My other bike is a '04 V-Rod which I bought new. While the V-Rod has one of the best engines I've ever had an opportunity to ride...I'd still take the R!

PS...I'm trying to sell the V-Rod
raya
Basic User

Post by raya »

Been living with the bike for 2 weeks now and love it. The riding feel is different and better than any other bike I've owned before.

Apart from weekend rides I've been using the bike for commuting. Was a little surprised how much fuel it used and it did seem to use more on very hot days (above 30 degrees) Is this to be expected?

One little nag is that the centre stand needs a little kick to get it in the correct position when the bike is pushed off the stand - any adjustment I can make?

Im on holiday for week touring Queensland after Christmas and quite fancy screen or small nose fairing - any suggestions?

Thanks

Ray
Ray
Brisbane Australia

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

raya,
do a search for "lubing the center stand" and you should find a thread about it.

I have the BMW Sport Shield, and like it a lot. It is tall enough to keep the wind off of my chest, but short enough to allow decent airflow. I had the touring shield and it caused some buffeting of my helmet.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!