A Pole: Do you have ABS or Nought?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you have ABS or Not?

I have linked (whatever that is) ABS!
44%
I have unlinked (if it exists) ABS!
4%
I do NOT have ABS of any kind and am a whiz at braking!
24%
I do not have ABS and constantly use only my rear brake.
1%
I do not have ABS but only use my front brake.
15%
I do not have ABS or brakes of any kind.
7%
I do not have ABS but I wish I did.
4%

Total votes: 72

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

A Pole: Do you have ABS or Nought?

Post by Boxer »

This is a Pole..er Poll..to see how many of us have ABS vs. not having ABS. This to settle a dispute brewing in another unrelated thread...in another galaxy...on another planet somewhere...I think.

Just vote.
OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by OU812 »

I should have seen this coming.:roll:
I have servo assisted, whatever that is. Can you put it in the poll? :lol:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
frbank6
Basic User

Post by frbank6 »

I have ABS. This was my first bike and my only other experience was riding a neighbor's Honda 1600 something or other to the shop because he had just had a heart attack. When I came to the first stop sign, I almost didn't make the stop, from 30 mph. When I finally got there, I told him that if that was how my first bike ride had happened, I wouldn't ride at all. He said, 'you have to plan your stops'.

I know it is the source of constant discussion here, but I happen to like the semi-linked ABS. Probably because that is what I learned to ride on.
2003 R1150R ABS Dakar Yellow/Ferro
Veritas vos Liberabit
BigC
Basic User

Post by BigC »

Dang you have plenty of options but nothing seems to fit... Sorry :( I like using both brakes for every stop and I don't have ABS. And I'm surely no whiz at it... I haven't hit anything in front of me so....I guess that's a good thing.

But the point you've made is appropriate. This forum frustrates me... I'm going to stop now while I'm ahead....or maybe not behind :P
'04 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

My first BMW an 03 r did not have ABS and I never thought I really needed it nor wanted it. The initial $2300 was a good motivator to stay away from it. I guess if it had been more affordable I would have given it more consideration but then too the added maintenance was also a deterrent.

That bike is now in the big salvage yard in the sky and so it's replacement does have ABS. I don't have a problem with it yet and have gotten used to the power assist. I don't care much for the noise it makes but I can get used to that. Hopefully it will give me as good a service as the non-abs model. We'll see.

I am hoping that I won't have to really test it's merits but it's there if necessary and so I am thankful for that. But I will try my best to not let it give me a false sense of security as I'm sure it's no substitute for good sense and cautious riding.

The best safety equipment we have at our disposal is our brain. I will do my best to use mine.

Wayne
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Dispute? What dispute? Do you have a link to the thread?... I can't seem to find it... :smt017 :smt043 :smt044 :smt040

Thanks... I needed a good laugh...

actually this is a very interesting poll...
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Boxer, my friend, just returned from visting my family and spent 15 minutes deciphering the response to your Pole.

Well I should have known....the artiste mind at work....I thought ABS meant Another Bmw Sock it to them...am I right....do I win a price????
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

OU812 wrote:I should have seen this coming.:roll:
I have servo assisted, whatever that is. Can you put it in the poll? :lol:
Servo assist is basically power brakes. I think you can have them with or without ABS. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Mine has ABS, but I voted on my old bike. :smt019
Don't know about ABS options. I would guess you would not want servo assist W/O ABS. :roll:
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

BigC wrote:Dang you have plenty of options but nothing seems to fit... Sorry :(
+1

I don't have ABS brakes, but I don't think I'd care for the linked servo boost ABS system on the R1150s. I would go for the newest non-power boost system, however.

I tend to use only the front brake for slowing down and coming to a stop. I will use the rear brake alone for trail braking and while stopped on an incline. If I need to stop quickly, I use both. My emphasis is always on the front brakes.
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

At least the R is only partially linked. Rear Brake is only rear brake. Some of the RTs are fully linked.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

NOT
Buckster '03R
Ves
Basic User

Post by Ves »

Just a note to those who don't have ABS or brakes of any kind. Be sure to drag both your feet evenly, because each foot holds 50% of your stopping power. Also, spread out your elbows to increase your wind resistance. :smt040
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Braking, and setting up brakes is one of the few things I'm reasonably good at. :wink:

No ABS or servos for me.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

ruddy wrote:
BigC wrote:Dang you have plenty of options but nothing seems to fit... Sorry :(
+1

I don't have ABS brakes, but I don't think I'd care for the linked servo boost ABS system on the R1150s. I would go for the newest non-power boost system, however.

I tend to use only the front brake for slowing down and coming to a stop. I will use the rear brake alone for trail braking and while stopped on an incline. If I need to stop quickly, I use both. My emphasis is always on the front brakes.

+1 here too. Non-ABS on an 2005 for me.

When I bought my RR in Jan 06 I had a choice between two '05 RR bikes. A beautiful Midnight Blue RR with ABS and my Granite Grey RR -non-ABS. I really liked that Midnight Blue on a RR and I still have never seen another like it, but non-ABS won out for me.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

I have PARTIALLY linked, servo-assisted ABS brakes.

Applying the front brake lever adds in about 20% rear brake.

Applying the rear brake pedal, gets rear brake ONLY.

P
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Tried 'em once and was impressed, but I never had 'em, and probably never will. Too much going on mechanically and maintenance-wise for brakes. For brakes, I prefer the K.I.S.S. principal (at least until I hit a patch of wet leaves at a STOP sign!) :(
Rich
ADIOS!
SteveW
Basic User

Post by SteveW »

My prev BMW had ABS (K series) and I was very happy with it. I wanted an 1150 but didnt want servo, so now I just take my chances without either....

In 30k miles on the K I only ever got the rear ABS to cut in just three times - two slow-speed city traffic panic-stops and one steep downhill hairpin on ice in the pyrenees :shock: .

The old K had a very slow pulse rate - you really knew when ABS was cutting in!

Steve.
dwayne
Lifer

Re: A Pole: Do you have ABS or Nought?

Post by dwayne »

Boxer wrote:This is a Pole..er Poll..to see how many of us have ABS vs. not having ABS. This to settle a dispute brewing in another unrelated thread...in another galaxy...on another planet somewhere...I think.

Just vote.
Not to scew your results but my K1200S has ABS, and comes standard.
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
AdrianS
Basic User

Post by AdrianS »

Linked ABS. absolutely no problems with the system apart from the extra maintenance costs!