Coming back to BMW... on a K1200R Sport

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

cmack
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Coming back to BMW... on a K1200R Sport

Post by cmack »

After my torrid love affair with my 2002 R1150R ended about a year and a half ago, I'm finally making the return to BMW. The deals for the K12R Sports were too damn good to pass up! $12,995 OTD with hard luggage, ABS, Sport Wheels, heated grips, and clear turn signals. My deposit is in on a White Aluminum (fancy silver) and black one 8), and I pick her up next Saturday, Dec 1st. It feels good to be coming back into the fold!
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

Congrats!

They're a hell of a machine

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

That is a hell of a deal.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
dwayne
Lifer

Post by dwayne »

:smt033
'05 R 1150 R Dark Ferro, with blacked out motor Member # 507
sebastien
Basic User

Post by sebastien »

congrats

very good motor bike

pics soon of course :D
hello from france of my black k1200s

http://sebastienr1150r.blogs.fr
cmack
Basic User

Got her home!

Post by cmack »

I ended up riding just shy of 500 miiles home yesterday (had to reschedule pickup), and it was great... I can't stop smiling! :D The bike is simply amazing! I rode backroads out of Florida for the first 200 miles or so, and superslabbed the rest. It took right around 8 hours, with 3 gas stops and 40 mins. for dinner, so I made very good time. Here are some of my impressions:

POWER - The bike has amazing power everywhere, and the gearing is darn near perfect. I started to gradually spool her up more when I broke 200 miles, and she just flat out hauls! The engine is also very smooth. I didn't notice any of the low speed jerkiness/throttle snatch (thankfully) that I noticed on the demo bike I rode. I also got decent gas mileage. I was a little concerned when the low fuel blinker first came on at 115 miles. I think it was a just a calibration thing though, because it only took a little over 3 gallons to completely fill it. It also got progressively better for the next 2 tanks and is up to about 150 before it starts blinking now and takes right around 4 gallons to fill. Is that about right? The engine oil check is interesting with the tube as the site glass. It didn't use a drop of oil in the entire 500 miles, and only turned slightly amber.

COMFORT - The windscreen is much better than a naked, but not quite as good as a full fairing. Temps ranged from 75 when I left down to the 30's by the time I hit Altanta, and it did a great job of keeping me protected. The heated grips are something I've missed dearly, and are worth every penny. I'm 5'9 with a 31" inseam and the ergos are among the best I've found. It fits like a glove without feeling cramped at all. The seat is also amazingly comfortable, especially compared to the notoriously bad seats BMW typically puts out.

SUSPENSION/HANDLING - I don't have the ESA, so I just had the dealer set it up in the middle, and didn't touch it. Overall, it felt darn good and well mannered. I'll get it dialed in once I have time to experiment. The Hossack style duolever felt like an improvement over the traditional telelever that I was used to. The transition was seamless, but it felt more planted. I understand the magazine comments about turn-in. It does take more inital effort that what I'm used to, but once leaned over it, it holds it perfectly even under acceleration, whereas a lot of bikes stand up on acceleration mid-corner. This bike loves fast sweepers! I haven't had a chance to play in the tight twisties yet. I think it will be quite capable, but will give more of a workout than a pure sportbike. Mine came fitted with Pirelli Diablos, which may impact that as well. No signs of wear in 500 miles, and I got them scrubbed in anyway.

BRAKES - The ABS was totally transparent, as I had hoped. The non-servo assist brakes have great power and better feel than the servo assisted ones. They take a bit more initial effort, but stop every bit as well. Overall, I like them much better.

FIT/FINISH - I love the White Aluminum/Black color scheme on this bike. It just works well, and is a closer match to the factory bags, so it looks just as good with the bags mounted. As hard as I tried, I really couldn't find anything to nitpick. The seat was even easy to pop off and was held securely! The ratcheting straps on the bags were a little tight, but I'm guessing they'll brake in.

DEALER - BMW Orlando was very professional to deal with. I can say enough good things about them. Frank Serrana had everything ready to go when I arrived. He walked me through everything, and even threw in some freebies (shirt, hat, keychains). No surprises whatsoever... which is always a relief! They had about a dozen or so of the K12R Sports left in stock, but they appeared to be going fast. I saw at least 3 sold signs. If you're on the fence, now is the time to move!

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to clean off the bug guts and get some pictures posted later today.
sebastien
Basic User

Post by sebastien »

hello cmack :)

like me :P

when is on my k12 it is happiness

it's genius la k1200s

sebastien
Basic User

Post by sebastien »

can we have pics :lol:

cmack
Basic User

Post by cmack »

Finally got some pics up...

I took a 200 mile jaunt through the N. Georgia mountains today and had a chance to lose most of my chicken strips as well. 700 miles now... I gotta get her in for her first service, but I hate to let her go! It's an addiction...

sebastien
Basic User

Post by sebastien »

thanks cmack
your the k12 is beautifull
i like the grey
it's smart for a motor bike.

on my k1200s i have the system esa and i can say : it's genius, you change everytime and i feel the difference . it's really a good option.
do you think to change the exhaust ?
for the last pic
congrats !!! (for the tyre ) :wink:

cmack
Basic User

Post by cmack »

Yeah, I've already been eyeballing different exhausts. I'll probably do the evoluzione race intake kit and either the remus hexagonal or leo vince carbon sbk evo2 pipe in the spring time. Either will look a heck of a lot better than the torpedo stocker. I like the concept of ESA, but I may eventually switch over to an Ohlins setup. The stock WP setup is proving very good though. The dealers also didn't have any specials on the bikes with ESA. Personally, it's not that big of a chore to make the changes for me, and I like being able to fine tune it. The convenience of switching on the fly is an amazing concept though, and will hopefully pave the way for things to come.
sebastien
Basic User

Post by sebastien »

for me it will be carbon akrapovica, the sound is magic
you have an exemple on "you tube"
the esa i ifind it very well anc simply
have you try a k1200s with esa ?

Oilhead
Basic User

Post by Oilhead »

Gorgeous bike and a great deal! Congratulations!

I have seen similar deals being advertised on my dealer's website on a Blue 2007 K1200R Sport. I am very tempted to trade my '02 Roadster. :D
2002 BMW R1150R
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2008 Ducati Hypermotard
1996 Ducati 900SS
geogridshorthair
Basic User

Re: Coming back to BMW... on a K1200R Sport

Post by geogridshorthair »

I have migrated to the K1200R sport as well. I have the same color as yours.

I left my R1150R to someone who will give her the love she deserves.

You got a smoke'n deal from the dealer in FL.

I bought mine from a guy who bought this bike as his first bike. He paid $16,800 OTD on Dec 22, 2007 from the dealer here in Orange County, CA. He put 10 miles on the odo and parked it in his garage and put it up for sale. I was the lucky first one to see it and buy it for $12,500 on Feb 5, 2008. And I thought I got a smoke'n deal.

I would concur with your review of the ride.

I had the same concern regarding fuel consumption. The low fuel light was comming on at about 115 miles and only taking 3+/- gallons to fill. The on board computer states that I'm averaging 35+mpg's but I think I'm getting less. I have about 1,000 miles on it now so I'll start checking the fuel mileage by hand.

I also had a center stand installed. I need the space in my garage; since I have THREE bikes. And they're all very different! The same reason my wife has 100 + pair of shoes, they're all different.

I put a Remus pipe on the bike last week. It sounds fantastic and I left the baffle in (for now anyway). About the Remus pipe; I was cleaning the bike and noticed that the welds failed where the braket hangs onto the can. I have sent pics to the dealer who sold me the Remus and will call them on Tuesday to figure out what to do.

Enjoy your bike I know I am.

steve
02 Ducati S4 Nakid Sex on two wheels
04 Ducati ST4s w/abs WAY RED
07 BMW K1200R Sport
Ian
Basic User

Post by Ian »

thats one hot bike.
Can wait to see it released in Australia
Ian

Marku
Basic User

Post by Marku »

I can't believe the price on that. Multiply that by two and you have the price of that bike here in Kelowna, Canada, and our dollar is worth the same as the Americans. I seen a used one for 18,000.00 + tax. :(
SLEDGE
Basic User

Post by SLEDGE »

Oh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Sweat bike! :smt023 :smt023
R.D

"Don't take life too seriosly,because you'll neve get out of it alive anyway."