How Dangerous is Riding a Motorcycle?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

MMH
Basic User

How Dangerous is Riding a Motorcycle?

Post by MMH »

In my youth I used to ride alot. Still ride dirt bikes. Beginning to think about getting a R1150R for daily transportation.
Realizing there is risk in everything we do, how dangerous is riding a motorcycle?

Most that are on this site obviously believe the risk is acceptable. How many people here with young kids ride? Looking for objective information/discussion on this.

Thanks!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: How Dangerous is Riding a Motorcycle?

Post by Boxer »

I would not get the R1150R for daily commuting. There are much lighter, smaller, economical, and easily maneuverable bikes out there that would serve this purpose much better. Now if you're maybe wanting to take the occasional weekend trip to the hills to ride or take off for Kansas on a whim, then this bike is the one. But just for an economical daily commuter. I don't recommend it.
Ves
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Ves »

MMH wrote:... how dangerous is riding a motorcycle?

Most that are on this site obviously believe the risk is acceptable. How many people here with young kids ride? Looking for objective information/discussion on this.

Thanks!
How Dangerous? Well, it could kill you, but so could taking a shower... to cut down my overall odds I ride a motorcycle, but I don't take showers.... :lol:

There's only two kinds of motorcyclists... those who have fallen and those who will... only question is when and how bad will it be? If you believe anything else, don't ride.

Six kids here... have always ridden.

In general, riding a motorcycle is probably one of the most difficult multitasking things you can do. Rewards for making a mistake are generally not good...
Ves (AKA Boy,Sledge, and Cheap Bastid)
BMWPA
Lifer

Post by BMWPA »

here's the statistics
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30 ... /index.htm

I took the MSF(motorcycle safety foundation) course before hoping back on at the age of 34, met some good people and learned how to better protect myself on the road. I also read 'More Proficient Motorcycling' by David L. Hough.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Motorcycling is no doubt riskier than staying home but like a lot of things, you can reduce the risk by your own behavior. Learning to ride well, riding defensively, not riding like an idiot and using good protective gear will improve your chances.

No guarantees. I nearly got t-boned yesterday by a car running a stop sign! And I was in my Subaru! ;)

I raised two boys while riding, although at significantly less per year mileage! Now I am an empty nester and the mileage will increase!

I agree about the R1150R as a commuter bike. It is a great all-rounder but if you are only commuting, there are better options for slicing and dicing with traffic. Get a used dual-sport with some dings in it!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

My tap water has post urinated pharmaceuticals in it, my food is genetically modified and/or irradiated, my beef and pork is now cloned, and I live near the new homicide capital of the USA.
I do ride and firmly believe it will be the last thing to kill me.
(I did have a serious crash in 2005, it could have done me in, but no....)

As far as kids go, nothing bonds like rally trips a bike.

I would check out a used F650 for a commuter. I want one too.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Falling down at home; falling in the shower; auto accident; heart attack; stroke; random accident - all have a higher risk (in the U.S.) than motorcycle riding.

If you NEVER drink and drive, you reduce your risk a further 30% from the total dead and injured statistic. If you take courses, ride within your limits, and avoid silly or BIG dingle behavior, you reduce your risk another 30%.

That leaves dumb drivers, drunks, deer, dogs, and driveways as your risk factors. 1500-2500 deaths per year (U.S. numbers).
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
jacksgp
Basic User

Post by jacksgp »

Really disagree with the mind set about two kinds of motorcyclists, those that have been down and those that will. True that "stuff happens" and you can only control so much as you move down the road.That said I have friends that have 30 plus years and never been down. Myself I have 2 occasions when things got ugly, both in my youth and both alcohol related. Man I was bulletproof in those days (not) at least in my own mind. At 56 years of age I,m proud to say the last 30 have been uneventful. Knock on wood!!
Be aware of all things while riding, develop a "radar" where you can anticipate situations, always assume that the cagers DO NOT see you and dress for the crash..... Happy motoring!
stilldking
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 594

Post by stilldking »

I believe the danger factor has a lot to do with where you do most of your riding. I live in a small rural town with a lot of open and straight roads (NoDak). In the closest larger city, I prefer to drive around on the by-pass, take the shortest possible route in and get out quickly whether I'm picking-up something or visiting friends (Not a fan of in-city driving, even the moderate sized ones). That said, I believe the RR is great commuting bike. I have a converted dirt-bike for runs down dirt roads and quick fast trips, but up here the RR is one of the best bikes for any distance traveling of more than a few miles. As far as the two types of drivers, I'm in the "been down" catagory, but did that when younger and able to heal faster. Now, I drive a lot more defensively and would rather enjoy the scenery than try & blow past it as fast as possible. I must concur with jacksgp about dressing for the crash. One of the best ways to mitigate injury is proper gear. Probably not going to eliminate it, but everything helps.
John C
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Dangerous? Hell yeah! I almost got hit twice on my way home for work!
Will I ride again tomorrow? Hell yeah!
If your doing city commuting, I would pick something else. Highway commuting I would say get one.
I have 2 kids and they ride with me sometimes. Take courses and read the Profiecent Motorcycling books.
Buckster '03R
NAIAD
Lifer

Post by NAIAD »

Dangerous? Yes! Manageable risks? Yes! But accidents still happen. I'd been enjoying motorcycles for MORE than 30 years when I was involved in my first accident, I more or less walked away from that one. And that was during a work commute. My silver lining was an off duty Cop who witnessed my being sideswiped by a Subaru doing an unsafe lane change. Had the chance later to talk with that officer and he said I'd done all the right things, safe speed, good lane position, quick defensive manuvers using brakes and steering, AND I STILL GOT TAGGED! One Ducati 900, one leather jacket, one pair of boots, one Arai helmet; all totaled. Personal injuries very minor.

Lesson is still two types of motorcyclists...though some (thank God) never get hit. So, if you take the safety courses, practice moto skills, ride aware and sober; it can be reasonably safe.

Other point mentioned earlier, answer to your question also somewhat dependant on environs of riding. My accident was during a heavy commute hour on a packed "freeway" in Seattle area traffic. When I lived in rural areas of northern Nevada never had anything like the sort of traffic I ride in now. Yikes!!

And my .02 cents on the R as a commuter is also "it depends". As a pure commute machine for relatively short commutes in light traffic I think there are probably better choices. For longer commutes a comfy machine with excellent handling and brakes is an EXCELLENT choice. What's the line..."ya pays your money and takes your chances". :)

Thanks for provoking and interesting conversation.

Ride Safely!
Bill J
MMH
Basic User

Post by MMH »

Thanks to all that responded. This is difficult for me because on the one hand, I understand that there are risks in all we do. On the other hand, taking irresponsible (and selfish) risks would deprive four children of their father. I'm not risk adverse, and try not to raise risk adverse children. They afterall ride horses, dirt bikes, play lacross & fottball, ski, etc. By the way, I'm not a spectator - I do all these things with them. :)

Ultimately, the choice is mine. I sincerely appreciate all the responces as it gives me more information by which I can form a more sound conclusion.

One final note, I'd like to share a quote that I think is appropriate for this discussion: "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are made for". I guess I don't want to go thru life in dry dock!
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I found my R1150R was a GREAT commuter. My LT is a bit more like a whale for the 10 mile ride to work. It is a bit more of a chore just getting it out of the garage, where the R was easy! ;)
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
Just-Beeming
Basic User

Post by Just-Beeming »

I agree with sjbmw....
We all are destine to pass...Simple rules....Don't smoke, get your exercise, eat right, do your health screening, Work toward healthy relationships, take MSF courses and become proficient, Stay humble, Don't drink and ride, ATTGATT....
You know the drill....

Something will getcha in the end.... mitigate what risks you can and don't let fear drive you..... in the mean time Seek Joy.....Ride!

Think and Smile!

:-k :)
# 490
04 Black R1150 R...
06 Black F650 GS
72 Honda CT 90
Life It just gets better and better!