My Spring Wildflower Ride

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

taosports
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

My Spring Wildflower Ride

Post by taosports »

Spring is one of my favorite times of the year to go riding so this past weekend, I took my camera for a ride. Hope you enjoy the photos!

Near my home is this red barn that I often ride by. In the spring, the red contrasts beautifully with the green of the hills and the vibrant yellow of the mustard. (Insert Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" tune here)

I passed an almond orchard in full bloom and as I stopped for a closer look at the blossoms, this honeybee was making her rounds busy as a you-know-what collecting pollen on her hind legs.

Overhead, this red-shouldered hawk gave me a wary eye as he flew away. If looks could kill... :shock:

The poppies were out in full bloom in shades of vibrant yellow and orange. Beautiful flowers that in my neck of the woods always signal the approaching spring. It's no wonder they are California's state flower.

This hillside was full of poppies that almost looked red...on top was an old oak with boughs of mistletoe.

This road is just 45 minutes from my doorstep...40 if I'm feeling frisky. :evil:

There are 3 other curves identical to this one on this road. :D :D :D

The great weather brought everyone out on their bikes including these Harley riders. I smiled and waved...they did not.

Blankets of wildflowers painted the oak-studded valleys. Wish I could have identified them, but that would have meant trespassing on private property.

But these flowers were accessible, allowing a close up view to marvel just how beautiful nature can be. Do you think those friendly Harley riders noticed?

Golden violet

Lupine

Buttercup

Indian paintbrush

Shooting stars

Every good ride must come to an end so as the sun was setting, I headed back to the red barn hoping to catch the low evening light on the emerald colored hills surrounding it. Was a bit late and the sunset a bit subtle but still, a nice, pretty way to end a ride. =D>

Thanks for looking!
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: My Spring Wildflower Ride

Post by sjbmw »

Wow. Incredible.

You are the KING of desktop Wallpaper.

Thank you, I have a years worth of images to create office stoppies.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Great Pictures, I have tried to pick a favorite, but can't do it, Thanks for posting, Den
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

Certainly beautiful pictures. Thanks.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
RedRider

Post by RedRider »

Great pics.Makes me look forward to Spring in my corner of the world.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Thanks for sharing....nice pics!
Buckster '03R
cruiser
Basic User

Post by cruiser »

Wonderful photography of your beautiful part of the world, Michael... thanks for sharing and for bringing a little bit of sunny California - and its lovely nature - into my home today! :D

btw, how on earth did you take the first shot?? :-k

Michael
Mike in Hamburg
2004 black R1150R... and a 1930 Thürmer grand piano - heaven!
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Thanks for the reminder to stop and smell the flowers every now and then. Great camera work.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

WOOOO HOOOOOO Finally another ride report from Taosports. It's been too long since you posted a ride report, Michael. Incredible photographs again!! THANKS!!! =D>

But......... ....... it's too bad you don't have the pretty Texas Wildflowers in California. That's the only thing that could have made your photos a little better!. :lol:
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
fj_pastor
Basic User

Post by fj_pastor »

Thanks for the report and for the pics.

They are incredible (colours, composition, light .... mood ... )

A nice way to appreciate, enjoy and share a world.

My compliments
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. =D>
cruiser wrote:...btw, how on earth did you take the first shot??
The first photo is something I've been wanting to do for some time now. I'm always looking for different ways to photograph my rides and when I got access to a device called appropriately enough the "magic arm", I knew that what I had envisioned could work.

This is the "magic arm" made by Bogen-Manfrotto. I use it to set up remote cameras in locations where I cannot be. It's infinitely adjustable and works like a charm. It's also expensive but fortunately, my generous employer bought it for me.

It's clamped to the left passenger foot peg. This gives me that low angle I was looking for, and with a slow shutter speed and a wide angle lens, a feeling of movement.

It's triggered by a wire that I have running from the camera, under the seat and tank and up to a switch on my left hand guard.

I'm happy with the photo but I know I can do better so you'll probably see a few more pics with my magic arm...either that or a shot of what a camera looks like with road rash :shock: :oops:
Boxer Briefs
Lifer

Post by Boxer Briefs »

Very nice photos! I particularly liked the hairpin with the "wide angle" lens, and the closer. Thanks for sharing.
'03 R1150R '78 R80/7
Member #591
1MPH
Lifer

Post by 1MPH »

Outstanding Photos Michael. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Where were you riding if you don't mind my asking. TIA, Jack
Jack
Mill Valley, California
2004 R1150R Piedmont Red
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

Thanks for the images of the magic arm, Michael. I was looking through the Bogen (okay, Manfrotto) site last week and saw that, wondered if it would work on the moto. Obviously, it does! My stepson and I both have ideas for some on-board video, I want more than the typical tank-top mount. And a great bunch of images, too- I think the last one with the "folds" of the ridgelines is my favorite.
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Thanks Ed.

Think the magic arm could work with video - the only drawback is that when the arm is extended out away from the clamp, any weight on the end becomes an issue, especially when you combine any kind of speed. The camera can tend to bounce around - not a big issue with the still image but certainly one with video.

For my lead photo, I used the lightest camera I have - the Canon 5D - and with a shutter speed of 1/125th of a second and a speed of @25mph it all worked. The bike remained tack sharp while giving the viewer a sense of speed with the blur of the pavement. Had I used a heavier camera or a slower shutter speed, I don't think it would have worked - too much bouncing around.

Anyway, the magic arm is a fun tool to get that unique perspective. I'll be playing around with it further and will post more photos on my next little adventure
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

1MPH wrote:Outstanding Photos Michael. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Where were you riding if you don't mind my asking. TIA, Jack
Thanks Jack. Most of the photos were taken out on Mines Road and San Antonio Valley, leading up the east flank of Mount Hamilton - a great ride if you've never been.
r1150rider
Lifer

Post by r1150rider »

The other issue might be vibration- perhaps amplified by virtue of the arm being extended. I would think it would have a lot to do with where you clamped the magic arm onto the bike, the rear footpeg subframe is one of the places I had in mind. But I would also like to fool around with mounting a still camera, just need to get a remote!

I've done a little on-board video with a "tank mount" and it truly begs for different perspectives. Just a static looking-straight-ahead pov is really kind of boring, for me. I think I can do better! Way back in the 80's a friend and I rigged the first on-board cameras ever used at Laguna Seca and also in some desert races, nobody thought it would work but it sure did... we even rigged a set-up at a Supercross for press-day video, the camera got crunched but we got the shot!
Ed
Member #9
BMW, because loud brakes save lives...
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

WOW - incredible pictures! That series look like something from a National Geographic magazine, where lots of hours and photographers were involved. VERY NICE. (I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.)
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Michael,

In the last picture, did you do any post processing or is that impossible shade of green natural?
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Wow! and thanks for sharing the "how-to". I need to get a better camera.
Thanks.
-d.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580