Earplug Preference: Anyone tried Cabela's moldables?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Earplug Preference: Anyone tried Cabela's moldables?

Post by Sunbeemer »

I bought a noisy helmet that I otherwise really like (Nolan N100E), so I need earplugs at highway speeds. I'm using EAR III brand foam plugs that have a -32 dB rating and are very quiet but hard to insert, so I'm considering these custom moldables from Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

If you've used them, do you think they work and can you estimate their dB attenuation??

BTW, I checked local hearing aid shops for moldable earplugs, and they want ~$125/ea (yes, $ / each side! :shock: )

TIA
Rich
ADIOS!
pinecone
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Earplug Preference: Anyone tried Cabela's moldables?

Post by pinecone »

Haven't tried them, but have you read the reviews on the page? Sounds kind of mixed. But for 15 bucks they might be worth a try.

I picked up this sample pack of reusables and ended up really liking the Moldex Rockets. Have the same problem with insertion that you mention. IMO, fit and comfort are more important than dB ratings.
"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle..."
dnat928

Post by dnat928 »

Take a look at this site - they have all types of ear things. This is specifically the foam earplug page. If you wanat to see more, go back to the home page and wander from there.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/difoearpl.html
Member #1058
BMW R1150R - 2002, Atlanta Blue
Porsche 928 - 1982 Weissach Edition, S/N 34
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

After reading this review at WebBikeWorld http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/heartech/earplugs.htm I ordered a the sampler pack (3 sizes) of the "Quiet Ear" model. I've used them over a year now and have been very pleased with both their performance and comfort. I found that the medium size is right for me, so I have two pair left over. I'd be happy to donate the extras (a size small and a large) - PM me if you want one of them.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
digga
Basic User
Donating Member #: 600

Post by digga »

Not tried those you mention, but i did buy some mouldable silicon from E-bay..

These produced a fine mould that worked well.
I have gone the whole hog now though and just ordered custom moulded plugs with built in speakers for the Autocom. Now i should be able to hear the sat nav,mp3 and phone without having to jack the volume sky high 8)

FYI..£175 ($350?)
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try these moldables and the Moldex Rockets since the price is right and I'll report back here on how well they work. I just wish they could stop the ringing I already hear in my ears :(
Rich
ADIOS!
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

Howard Leight "Maxs", NOT "Max Lites"

Soft. Comfortable. Always seal correctly.

I sometimes see them in pharmacies or Wal-Mart with an included plastic single pair holder.

My opinion.
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
toolinalong
Double Lifer

Post by toolinalong »

Hearos. soft,soft foam. 28db I think. love em. look around, someone always seems to have them on sale.
"none.nada.thank you."
twindave
Basic User
Donating Member #: 724

Post by twindave »

This is what I use. They work very well and they're inexpensive. 100 connected pairs for 25 bucks! When they get nasty, I just throw them out and grab a new pair, although you can wash them. Put them in a lady's nylon stocking and toss them in the washing machine....air dry....Almost like new.

NRR 31 dB

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005
Know it, Love it, Ride it
tkm
Basic User

Post by tkm »

I've had very good luck with "swimmers earplugs". They mold to any ear shape, can be reused often and you can pick up at a pack at Target or some such for three or for bucks.....tkm
Peter
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I use these guys.

They're called the "earplug" bug. Coming from the inner Amazonian rainforest, I have found a way to raise them. One in each ear at the beginning of a ride and they swell up to fit the cavity. To remove them you have to tape a small piece of steak to your earlobe and when they exit to eat, you just reach up and capture them for future use.

I've never had any problem with them at all.
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

:lol: :lol:
Aren't those Earwigs that hatch larvae in your brain and eat their way through to the other ear?
Since I've already lost enough of my mind, I Don't think I'll try them.
Rich
ADIOS!
twindave
Basic User
Donating Member #: 724

Post by twindave »

I do believe Boxer is on to something! Bravo =D>
Know it, Love it, Ride it
sillyjax
Basic User

Post by sillyjax »

SunBeemer ~

I attended a hearing conservation conference recently (by EAR). Be very choosy about the custom molded plugs -- many of them don't go far enough into the outer ear canal to effectively attenuate the noise as they indicate. In the world of safety, authorities suggest cutting the NRR in half to determine actual attenuation, since there are so many factors that influence it.

You can get a fantastic fit with plugs if you do the following:
1. It's all in the roll -- roll the plug (no matter foam or urethane) to the tightest possible size.
2. Use the Pinna-pull (pull of the earlobe with opposite side hand)
3. Insert plug at an angle toward your nose

The traditional foam plugs expand slowly, and are a great selection for those of you with large ear canals. The newer, pre-formed, urethane plugs expand very quickly and are better for small ear canals. Remember: there is a technique for getting good-fit plugs out -- slowly twist and pull.

I have the custom molded plugs, but prefer the urethane plugs myself. The EAR folks seem to do the most research in the area of hearing conservation -- you may want to check out their site for further information about custom plugs. Good luck!!!!!
Jacquie
R1150r in Oregon
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

pinecone wrote:Haven't tried them, but have you read the reviews on the page? Sounds kind of mixed. But for 15 bucks they might be worth a try.

I picked up this sample pack of reusables and ended up really liking the Moldex Rockets. Have the same problem with insertion that you mention. IMO, fit and comfort are more important than dB ratings.

I also got the sample pack of reusable plugs from Aerostich. It is a great way to try different types and see what works. I also keep some around the house for different uses, such as using the lawnmower, chain saw, etc.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
digga
Basic User
Donating Member #: 600

Post by digga »

rdsmith3 wrote:
pinecone wrote:Haven't tried them, but have you read the reviews on the page? Sounds kind of mixed. But for 15 bucks they might be worth a try.

I also got the sample pack of reusable plugs from Aerostich. It is a great way to try different types and see what works. I also keep some around the house for different uses, such as using the lawnmower, chain saw, etc.
Thats good... I'm involved in the Plant Hire business and we have to mark our gear with exposure times for Hand/Arm Vibration and Noise.
You would be very surprised at the exposure times for Mowers/chainsaws and the likes!! One of the worst ofenders is the good ol' Vacuum Cleaner :shock: :shock: Can just see my missus with the ear muffs on now :lol: :lol:
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

digga wrote:
rdsmith3 wrote:

Thats good... I'm involved in the Plant Hire business and we have to mark our gear with exposure times for Hand/Arm Vibration and Noise.
You would be very surprised at the exposure times for Mowers/chainsaws and the likes!! One of the worst ofenders is the good ol' Vacuum Cleaner :shock: :shock: Can just see my missus with the ear muffs on now :lol: :lol:
I have been doing this for about five or six years. I just got my hearing checked, and it is within normal range for a guy my age (48) which means some loss at high frequencies.

The vacuum is really noisy; shop vacs are the worst. It's a wonder there aren't some federal regulations on allowable vacuum cleaner noise.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Sunbeemer
Basic User

Post by Sunbeemer »

As promised, here is my product review of the custom moldable earplugs kit I got from Cabela's for ~ $20 (inc. S+H)...
These are rated at various frequencies, but overall are supposed to have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 33, which is quite good as earplugs go. But, there seems to be a lot of wiggle room in these values... :roll:

I molded the eaplugs according to the instructions mixing the 2-part silicone thoroughly and pressed them into my ears for ~20 minutes (they say to let them cure for 10 minutes), and I got a really good fit in both ears. I tried them at highway speeds and found them to be quite effective, better than the purple Flents "Quiet Time" foam plugs I tried (NRR 31), but not quite as good as the Zee NRR 32's I had been using when I could get them to fit, which was ~ 75% of the time. And BTW, when the foam plugs didn't fit, it seemed like they actually amplified wind noise making it worse than using nothing!

I would have said the moldables work very well because they are so easy to insert and fit well every time, except for the following issue -- I molded them with my helmet off of course, but my helmet squishes my ears enough to break the earplug's seal which lets in some noise -- not a dangerous or even an objectionable amount, but certainly not the same perfect seal yielding the utter silence I had before donning the helmet. I was thinking of molding another pair with my helmet on, but it's not nearly bothersome enough to bother doing.

I will probably use these more often than I did the foam plugs because they're so easy to pop in and work as well as most foam plugs do! And there is actually enough of the two part silicone included in the kit to make two sets of earplugs if you make them smaller than the instructions say, but they still work well. I found this out when the first earplug I tried to make hardened before I got it in my ear right and then I only had half the product left to make two more, and they turned out fine and are what I based this review on.

So I rate them =D> =D> =D> =D> out of 5 =D>

Now if I could just figure out how to plumb my Skullcandy Smokin' earBuds into them! These are great if you get them to fit just right (very good bass response and acceptable noise isolation), but that's another story...
Last edited by Sunbeemer on Thu May 08, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich
ADIOS!
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Aren't those Earwigs that hatch larvae in your brain and eat their way through to the other ear?
That would explain a lot Phil! :P
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
nonskid
Basic User

Post by nonskid »

I bought them but haven't yet molded them to my ears. I'm surprised that my full face Arai Q2 has so much wind noise.
Might as well face it...I'm addicted to motorcycles... Might as well face it...